VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The purpose of this thread is for gamers to swap "war stories" with each other. It is basically similar with SimHQ's After-Action Reports sub forum, although I don't think we would need a separate AAR thread for each gaming instance. Also, unlike SimHQ, our games are not limited to flightsims, so if you want to post AAR for, say, Heroes of Might and Magic, then by all means.

Updates:
1. Night Hawk: F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0, "Deep Recon During Cold War" by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.
2. Independence War by Kelly Stiver. Page 1. Page 2. Page 3. Page 4.
3. Fallout, "Deathclaw Hunting 101" by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.
4. MDK by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.
5. The Global Dilemma: Guns Or Butter, "Balancing Act" by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.
6. Uknown online turn-based strategy game by yawetaG.
7. Counter-Strike 1.6 by Jade Falcon.
8. Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition by clueless1.

EDIT: title changed to accommodate fantasy games.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Do dragon/boss monster raids in EQ count as war stories? That topic should have a thread of it's own.

Well, I think it belongs. i have to change the thread title to accommodate fantasy games as well, though.

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2017-04-02, 08:19. Edited 10 times in total.

Reply 1 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alright, here's my 'war story':

Deep Recon During Cold War

00-gamecover.png
Game: Night Hawk: F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0.
Developer: Microprose.
Publisher: Microprose.
Release: 1991

Ahlhorn, West Germany. August 16, 1986.

My callsign is "Iceheart" and people said I earned it. Besides the usual excitement of anticipating the next flight, I just felt detached from everything. Detached from the fact that they just assigned me fo a photo recon deep in Sovyet Land. Detached from the fact that I merely had two sorties with the F-117A. Detached from the fact that I had to cross two Warsaw Pact countries to reach my objectives. The only thing that stirred my interest was getting the job done. And flying, of course.

Despite this new Gorbachev guy and his 'glasnost' and 'perestroika', CIA satellite had spotted an SS Misille at Sovetsk and the hawks at D.C. were having ants on their pants. Not that I give the slightest damn about politics. As a matter of fact, I don't. Nobody wanted to be politician when they were kids, and being a fighter pilot is one of those things that make me feel lucky with my life. I bet the cops and the firemen feel the same.

The secondary objective was an SA Misille, probably to protect the SS?

001-mission-page1.jpg
The primary and secondary objective.

Of course, it was cold war, and the mission was supposed to be secret. As always, had I been caught or killed, the Secretary would disavow any knowledge of my actions. Avoiding detection was crucial; trigger-finger was a big no-no.

002-mission-page2.jpg
Translation: no trigger-finger!

Time to survey enemy defenses. My route was not an easy one. There was a radar station at Wittenburg and airbases at Wittstoc, Kolobrzeq, and Stupsk. The one at Stupsk was quite a major threat due to its IL-76. Patrol boats were on my way, and of course, Sovetsk was defended by SAM radar as well.

Overall, the mission was a difficult one. The objectives required me to spent a looong time behind enemy lines, while trying to get undetected. I would be lucky if I could get out of there alive.

003-surveying-radars.jpg
With SAM installations and missile boats, it was not an easy route.

It was a good thing that both primary and secondary were about taking photographs, so the only mandatory 'weapon' I needed to carry was the 135mm/IR camera --everything else was optional. The briefing said the estimated fuel requirement was 10692 lbs. I almost bailed out at Persian Gulf, so I decided to play it safe and got myself two extra fuel tanks. Despite the numerous radar stations I was to deal with, experience (or the lack thereof --I merely had two sorties, remember?) told enemy bandits always had better luck in spotting me than SAM radars. Sidewinders were the choice for the remaining bay.

004-dual-xtra-fuel.jpg
Playing it safe.

After all the meticulous flight preparations and cockpit checks, I finally taxied my way to the runway. The sky was dark and I could barely see the stars. It was a good thing. The F-117A may be 'radar-proof', but there is always chance of being spotted
visually.

005-taxiing.jpg
Taxiing to the runway.

The General Electric F404-F1D2 engines whined as I hit full throttle. They called the F-117A 'Wobbly Goblin' for a reason, and even take off was never easy, but I left Terra Firma nonetheless. Keeping my attitude low, I proceeded to the first waypoint.

The excitement had just begun.

According to the flight manual, an attitude below 500' should made you invisible. I learned the hard way to not believing everything you read. Experience told me that 'low and slow' was actually below 200' with no faster than 200 knots. I started my flight at 165 feet and felt like almost touching the tip of the building with the wings.

006-165feet.jpg
Whoa!

Needless to say that I managed to sneak my way through Wittenburg, Wittstoc, and Kolobrzeq undetected. My flight had been quite uneventful until I spotted a Flanker at three o' clock high.

The F-117A is not equipped with radar. Instead, it has TV and FLIR tracking cameras to scan for targets and lock them. Note that this is not the same with the camera to take recon photos with --the latter is a 135mm/IR reconnaissance camera, and it needs to be selected as active weapon before you can take any photos.

The tracking cameras were locking on the Flanker, as shown on the right MFD.

007-su27flanker-detected.jpg
Flanker at three o' clock....

Now, let me explain about the horizontal bar below the Left MFD; it is called the Electromagnetic Visibility (EMV) scale. My electromagnetic visibility is represented by the thick red bar extending from the right of the scale. Ocassionally, there are thinner bars extending from the left of the scale; those represent enemy radar signal. When the thinner bars from the left overlap the thick red bar from the right, the small red box under the 'EMV' label lits up and it means I am being detected. Brief detection is generally okay, but if I keep being detected, they will start tracking me and it means trouble.

'Low and slow' paid off as usual. I flew at 150' and 206 knots, and note how thin the red bar was. The bandit, of course, could not see me. Had I decided to pull the trigger, he would be down without even knowing what hit him. I had to remind myself that this operation was clandestine.

008-su27flanker-outside.jpg
...and he couldn't see me.

Save the Flanker, nothing bothered me for the rest of the trip. Trying to keep a stable flight below 200' provided some distraction, even with the flaps on. Nonetheless, it was a pretty boring flight to Sovetsk. The primary and secondary was pretty close to each other. I could spot the secondary objective at my two o' clock while heading for primary.

009-gettingnear.jpg
Maybe I should have gone to the secondary first.

There, the SS Missile I was supposed to photograph. Save the SA missile launcher nearby, it was relatively undefended for a target of such importance.

010-primary-target.jpg
...and I thought they defended that thing.

Taking recon photos requires almost as much patience as landing, and here's why: the lens crosshair is located below the axis of your plane, so if you roll to the left, the crosshair actually goes to the right, and vice versa. Thus, you need to get lined up correctly from the very start. The key is flying low and level while keeping the target horizontally centered at your HUD. It always worked, and it did. Smileee..... Click click click. I got the primary without trouble.

011-primary-photographed.jpg
Cheers!

Funny, nobody was alerted. Sure I was undetected by radar, but I flew at merely 300' above the radar. They must have visually spotted me, or at least heard my engine noise. I expected enemy fighters being vectored to my location, but they weren't. The F-117A was still relatively unknown at that time, so I was a 'mystery aircraft' as far as they were concerned. But of course, the fact that the aircraft may looked like an UFO should only stirred their curiousity further.

Nonetheless, the secondary objective were actually closer to Sovetsk SAM radar. Much, much closer.

012-secondary-target.jpg
Why did they have to sit reaaaally close to each other? Damn!

I approached the secondary a lot closer this time, below 200'. The SAM radar aside, there were some ground installations cluttered nearby, so I had to cycle between those targets until it found the SA missile launcher.

I wasn't sure what was wrong, but the tracking camera automatically switched to a nearby SAM launcher when I was less than a kilometer from the secondary objective. Blasht! I thought. Maybe there was a bug in the on-board system. There was simply no time to cycle between targets again, and I passed through the damn thing without taking any photos. I had to make a second pass. which means increasing my radar profile since turning reflects more radar signal than flying level (note the EMV bar below the left MFD). And Sovetsk SAM radar site was soooo near. Of course, it was inactive, but it was manned by elite units. They could activate the radar anytime, and probably at the very wrong time (mine, not them).

013-secondpass.jpg
Making the second pass.

Funnily enough, they were not alerted. It was as if those elite units were all sleeping! Nonetheless, secondary objective was achieved. I have finished my job here and it was time to go home. Very carefully (especially since the SAM radar was RIGHT AHEAD), Very carefully, I pulled a left turn while trying to not gaining altitude...

...only to see a bandit passing by, really close above. Whoa.

014-su-27-passingby.jpg
Now THAT was what I would call 'close encounter'.

Later identification showed that the bandit was an SU-27 Flanker, apparently heading to the SS launcher I previously photographed. It seemed they heard my engine noise anyway, and alerted the local CAPs. It could mean good thing, though, because it could mean the Flanker was so preocuppied to investigate whatever UFO had passed above the SS launcher that it overlooked the alleged UFO below! However, I couldn't be too careful...

Alas, I wasn't. The Flanker went its way while completely ignoring me. I thought I had been too careful during my trip, so after gaining a safe distance from Sovetsk, I decided to get relaxed a bit on the stick and hit autopilot. Of course, the autopilot could not fly as low as manual flying, and gaining attitude means raising the radar profile, but what the hell.

Turned out I was wrong, as I got tracked by a MiG-25!

015-punishment-for-getting-lazy.jpg
The punishment for getting lazy.

I could explain that the flashing TRAK warning light on the left of the EMV bar means that enemy radar is tracking me, but I was too busy lowering the altitude to get disappear again. I never really love rock music (my favorite genre is always electronica), but if the F-117A was equipped with stereo system, I would probably have played Metallica's I Disappear at that time. Yeah, I know the song hasn't even been released in 1986, but what the hell. Anything that would help me disappear would be appreciated.

Too late, damage had been done. I released a decoy; they are supposed to be the magic bullets to escape enemy radar, but in this case, they weren't. Elite units are not easy to get fooled by decoy anyway. My left MFD showed five boogeys inbound, swarming to my position. I released another decoy while hoping it would distract them.

Not only it wasn't, but the Foxbat fired an AA-6 at very close range. I was already flying at 150' and less than 200 knots at that time, so violent evasive turn would mean either crashing, raising my radar profile, or both. The most reasonable thing at that time is to launch another decoy, and there went the last one.

016-AA6-fired-by-mig25.jpg
Missile inbound!

Fortunately, my gamble paid; the missile missed and the bandit eventually stopped bugging me. It didn't mean the rest of the route was easy. In fact, my left MFD showed I was flying between a patrol boat and an IL-76 patrolling over Stupsk. I could go around the problems, but I have fuel to worry about.

I was pretty careful to fly below 100'. Yup, below a hundred feet. That didn't stop the patrol boat from firing an SA-N-7. So here I was, out of decoy, and my chaff supply was getting thin.

017-patrol-boat-firing-SAN7.jpg
Between a rock and a hard place --and one of them just fired a SAM.

Fortunately, they fired the missile when my flight path was perpendicular to it. Needless to say they missed.

The rest of the flight was quite uneventful save another Su-27 that persistently followed me until I reached West Germany. I was practically invincible to his radar, and too far for visual ID, yet the pilot just kept following my tail. Probably he just followed instinct. I have to say he's a damn good pilot, and I'd really like to have a beer with him if we were not on the opposing sides.

018-flanker-on-my-tail.jpg
The persistent bastard.

Finally! I arrived at Leck without further problems, and made the final approach. People said I was such a show off for never using ILS to land, but the truth is, I was just trying to keep a habit of not relying on the damn thing.

019-final-approach.jpg
Making final approach.

020-nice-landing.jpg
Nice landing!

Time for debriefing. Generally, they were very pleased with my perfomance. Stealth or no stealth, Sovyet air defense system was supposedly impregnable, and sneaking into Warsaw Pact airspace was dangerous indeed. They said it was quite an achievement to merely completing the mission. And going back home in one piece, of course.

Nonetheless, nothing is perfect, and nor was the mission. I got tracked twice, and almost lost my life in both cases.

022-debrief-patrol-boat.jpg
Nothing is perfect.

Days passed. I was relaxing in the officer's lounge when someone mentioned my callsign. "Iceheart?"

The Colonel never use callsign unless we had done something either exceptionally good or exceptionally bad. I immediately raised from my chair and saluted.

"As you were," he said. Smiling. So it wasn't probably a bad news. The Colonel continued, "son, you been awarded the Medal of Honor."

At this point, I wasn't sure what to say.

021-CMOH-FTW.jpg
The ceremony...

023-pilot-talks.jpg
...and the celebration!

And here's me on the pilot's scoreboard.

024-CMOH-on-third-mission.jpg
The squadron bulletin board.

Now, I already said that I love flying, so people may wonder why I'm not flying anymore now. Well, here's the story; some time after the cold war mission, a man wearing black suit and sunglasses approached me. He introduced himself, "son, my name is Smith. John Smith, and I came from Langley. I know you love flying, but I wonder if you're interested in completely different challenges...."

===================================

Systems:
Microprose F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0
DOSBOX 0.72 ykhwong's CVS build.
Logitech Attack 3 joystick.
Old Toshiba M20 laptop.
The entire flight was recorded by DOSBOX movie recorder (CTRL+ALT+F5). Pictures were taken from Windows Media Player.

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2010-09-18, 10:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 41, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Superb post.

Have to admit I have never played this game, was close to buying it back in the day it was released.
Was too hooked up with other flight sim's on my Amiga back then

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 41, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Brings back memories, this does - I loved playing F-117A (and F-19) back in the day. I'll have to see if I can put one of these together myself. Though I'll more likely post it on my blog than in here, so as not to steal your thunder.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 6 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BobbyJ wrote:

Great Post. I lost many many hours to this game and F-15 Strike Eagle 3.

Let me know if you want to sell the game 😉

WolverineDK wrote:

KAN, hey that is Denmark on two of the maps screens (Jutland , Funen and Zealand) in some weird way with Funen. But it is none the less.

Well, I guess I overlooked those places because they don't have (hostile) SAM radar 🤣

Amigaz wrote:

Have to admit I have never played this game, was close to buying it back in the day it was released.
Was too hooked up with other flight sim's on my Amiga back then

Is that true that the Amiga version of F-19 Stealth Fighter doesn't support joystick?

wildweasel wrote:

Though I'll more likely post it on my blog than in here, so as not to steal your thunder.

Hey, no problem if you want to post here. In fact, such thing is the very purpose of this thread.

So how about your DOSBOX "war story", folks? I'm also playing Dragon Wars now and planning to post the "tavern tale" once I defeat Namtar, but I'm still miles away from there.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 7 of 41, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KAN: Denmark was and is a member of NATO and UN. So you wouldn't get a missile up your arse. In your stealth fighter.

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2017-03-30, 17:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 41, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This thread is rather strange, i think.

I mean, i've played hundres of games in my "gaming career", simulations and lots of other genres. if i was to try to "tell a tale" about single missions, levels, tasks, or whatever, i'd probably spend the rest of my life writing about something that should be experienced by actually playing a game. Writing about that stuff seems like a waste of time to me. Besides, completing a mission does not make me special in any way. It simply means i had the time and energy to complete that specific task. It's not a very big achievement. Games are supposed to give you a "good" feeling, by making you think you've done something special. That's one of the secrets of good game design. But in reality, the achievement is very small, compared to achieving stuff in real life. Don't get me wrong, i actually like "wasting" my time with games. But i think it's important to be realistic about the reward you get from gaming.

Oh, and another thing that bothers me about this thread is the term "war story". KAN, i don't think you can even remotely imagine what it's like to be in an actual war. I can neither, but i did military duty in my country, and was one of the few people that would actually think about what it would be like to kill people, face to face or from a distance with modern weaponry. I don't think it's fun by any stretch of imagination. The reality is, that, in war, you normally are nothing but a small and unimportant gear in the war machine. You're not a hero. You're not something special. You are a human unit that's supposed to follow orders, in order to make the "big plan" work. No-one gives a sh*t about your "achievements", and most of the time, these "achievements" are worth nothing at all. Take, for example, the war in Iraq. I'm sure there's a lot of US soldiers that are proud of what they've done there. But now, it's quite clear that all these efforts were futile. Waste of time, resources, human lives. And all that was based on lies and deception, but that seems to be a common denominator of wars in general (; .

Reply 10 of 41, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

ADDiCT - do you ever smile?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 41, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Only when I poop.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 13 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ADDiCT wrote:

Writing about that stuff seems like a waste of time to me.

Writing and/or reading that stuff seems like fun to some. Bob Guerra's Gunship 2000: the Official Strategy Guide has a section dedicated to such thing, and it's even more fun to read than the strategy guide sections themselves. Heck, even SimHQ has an entire sub-forum dedicated for such purpose. By the way, I'm not saying that we should have an entire AAR sub-forum like SimHQ has; the point is that there are people who love to write and/or read such thing.

Nonetheless, at the end of the day, nobody forces you to write or read gaming AAR.

ADDiCT wrote:

Besides, completing a mission does not make me special in any way. It simply means i had the time and energy to complete that specific task. It's not a very big achievement.

And since when does hobby translate to "making someone special" or such? People write and/or read such thing for fun.

ADDiCT wrote:

Oh, and another thing that bothers me about this thread is the term "war story". KAN, i don't think you can even remotely imagine what it's like to be in an actual war. I can neither, but i did military duty in my country, and was one of the few people that would actually think about what it would be like to kill people, face to face or from a distance with modern weaponry. I don't think it's fun by any stretch of imagination.

Probably that's why the thread title has the word gaming and double apostrophe enclosing the phrase "war story". But fine, if you have a better idea for the title, then by all means.

Reply 14 of 41, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the point is that there are people who love to write and/or read such thing.

Yep, do like reading such stuff. Anything related to gaming is fun on it's own. Heck, I even like reading the game manuals so much. Even the technical supplements where they list the system requirements, EMS recommended, Adlib,Roland,Soundblaster, etc..is so tempting to read!

I actually like to buy games with THICK manuals. It makes the game feel more interactive.

And since when does hobby translate to "making someone special" or such? People write and/or read such thing for fun.

Precisely.

We come from all walks of life, from different professions, from different countries across the globe, and unite here for a common interest : Classic Gaming. And gaming is for fun. Our hobby here is having fun by playing (not only) classic games!! Or should I put it in another different way?

Though we talk about war in this thread, we're UNITED in sharing this fun, gaming experience.

And, KAN, I really appreciate what you've done here. It's like reading a review of the whole mission! 😀

Reply 15 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

the point is that there are people who love to write and/or read such thing.

Yep, do like reading such stuff. Anything related to gaming is fun on it's own.

Do you remember all those feelies? Ahh... the good old days.

Malik wrote:

Heck, I even like reading the game manuals so much. Even the technical supplements where they list the system requirements, EMS recommended, Adlib,Roland,Soundblaster, etc..is so tempting to read!

My most favorite are Origin game manuals, with all the backstory and such. Even action games like Crusader: No Regret comes with folded newspaper!

Malik wrote:

And, KAN, I really appreciate what you've done here. It's like reading a review of the whole mission! 😀

Thanks! I'm looking forward to read your gaming story as well. 😀

Reply 16 of 41, by jamon51

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice job KAN. I'll get a GS2000 war story up soon. I remember writing an M1 Tank Platoon war story a while back...maybe I'll dig it up. I just wrote it in Word and never posted it anywhere.

Reply 17 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jamon51 wrote:

Very nice job KAN. I'll get a GS2000 war story up soon. I remember writing an M1 Tank Platoon war story a while back...maybe I'll dig it up. I just wrote it in Word and never posted it anywhere.

Kewl. I'm looking forward to read them. 😀

Reply 18 of 41, by pk_boomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice story. I can remember playing F19 back in the day, and having some really hairy cold war missions and the satisfaction of finishing them successfully. I think my best score was around 1800.