VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someone of you, guys interested in getting multiplayer gameplay for DOOM/Heretic/Hexen over internet on yours beloved DOS/Win9x based and loaded up with all these rockin sound parts PCs?
I'm old doom engine games fan, i hate all sort of ports of that games and prefer "vanilla" authentic versions.
And my primary motivation for building retro PC's with best soundcards for time is that games.
And now finally i get full potential of it with oldschool way to have multiplayer over internet with ancient good known tools like TCPSETUP and iFrag.
Have tested it with my friend - all works superb!
Incredible feeling - internet multiplayer in pure DOS game running in pure DOS in 2009, he-he!
If anyone want join to "company" - my icq is: doom2.exe v1.9 size in bytes (ha-ha! i even have icq number related to game 😀).

Last edited by aleksej on 2009-01-18, 12:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just wanted to say that your idea sounds like an excellent idea.

Personally speaking, I can't join in the fun yet because I haven't been able to connect my Win98 box to the internet. Unfortunately I may be some time before I'm up and running, as I'm still testing things out, but I hope you manage to generate interest with this idea on Vogons. 😀

Reply 2 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My 486 can access the internet fine though it's a budget 3com lan card so there may be cpu chomping issues with good traffic 🙁

One game that people play and runs well on 486s (in 640x480) is Continuum.

(though i've had a disconnect crash various times and I couldn't reconnect to Trench Wars for 10 minutes)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

I have nothing setup; No win98 on internet, no TCP tools, no ICQ either. GZDoom or something similar would be much more convenient...

Then where's the fun in that?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well... in genuine DOOM/Heretic/Hexen gameplay.
Maybe you forgot: New games=bad ; Old games and their source-ports=good.

but honestly, I agree that the DOS version has the extra charm.