VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been working on my compatibility list for years, since 1999 (see signature for link).

Initially it was a simple text file and then I switched over to excel.

Excel works just fine but there are issues:

1. Requires an excel reader and requires compatibility with the excel document. Eventually compatibility will be lost somewhere along the way.

2. Excel document is growing bigger and bigger in size. Hosting it here at vogons it's around 700kb due to me compressing the hell out of it but it will only get bigger and the download seems to average around 250+ downloads a month.

3. Currently there is only one main view. All of the OS/Games and all other fields on one worksheet. Using a wiki and putting this data in a database I could have alot of different queries for all kinds of things.

4. I'm the only one inputting data. I like this.....it's what makes my compatibility list the best out there but......I'm only one person and there are tons of different hardware configurations and tons of games that I don't have that aren't represented on the list.

5. My list isn't as well known as it should be. I see way too many people on forums who should know something very basic (like using ScummVM or DOSBox) but do not. Putting the list on a wiki as opposed to an excel file should make it very easy to provide this information.

So anyone have any recommendations on good WIKI software? I need something that's easy to use since I'm concerned with inputting my results, not playing around with a WIKI all day.....

I suppose if we have the space on VOGONS we could make it the VOGONS WIKI (we have a DOSBOX wiki but it's only for DOSBOX games),
but I'd definetly need to have Admin access to it and a local copy since I'd probably be the one providing updates to it the most and it wouldn't be a totally open WIKI probably restricted to just MODS/Admins to make changes. (or is there an easy way to for a user to change a wiki but a mod/admin has to approve the changes?)

Eventually I'd like to integrate my game demos as downloads with the WIKI but I don't have the money or hosting space for that.......(although I will be buying 6 2TB HD's soon to replace the 6 1TB HD's in my home server......)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found this WIKI Choice Wizard: http://www.wikimatrix.org/

DekiWiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DekiWiki

Used by Mozilla....

Vmware Image:
http://wiki.developer.mindtouch.com/MindTouch … d_Virtual_Image

Reply 3 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Amazon S3
http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#pricing

may be the best choice for file storage.

Reply 4 of 18, by thierrybo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

about the size problem, and before changing to a wiki, you could switch to OpenOffice which creates smaller files.

For example, I saved your last pcgames.xls to OpenDocument format: the uncompressed file is smaller than your zipped Excel file 😲

pcgames.xls: 4,2Mb
pcgames.zip: 855,9Kb
pcgames.ods: 526,1Kb

Reply 5 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your post shows a basic lack of understanding of the OpenDocument format. ODF files are always already compressed, since they are ZIP files with XML inside.

Instead, you should say that he should switch to using ODF because it is a freely available, royalty and patent-free, standardised document format. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 18, by thierrybo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes you are right, but I believed the size features was sufficient 😁 I mean the inner ODS format (uncompressed) is smaller than the excel one, since even zipping the excel file creates a bigger file.

Reply 7 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't feel like explaining to people how to load a plugin when they try to view OpenOffice documents (and I don't know if the plugin that is available is compatible with older versions of Office).

Idealy the data would be available online but for now (and the forseeable future) it's in excel format which is the most compatible.

The reduction in size would only benefit dial-up users anyway (or reduce vogons hosting costs....)

Reply 8 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And actually it's kind of rude hijacking a thread about converting to Wiki with smaller size request... Oh well, and then posting more OT stuff (like I do) is not much better 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 18, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the kind of information you're dealing with, Wiki's suck IMO. You don't get proper search routines, etc. . I'd import the stuff into a database. Access would do for a start, but you may want to switch to something with more "opmh", like MySQL. MySQL may look complicated at first, but it's actually very easy to install and maintain. Once the data is arranged, you can build frontends with Access (this is what many companies are doing) or a scripting language like PHP or ASP (VBScript/JScript). I have my own little MySQL instance running for various purposes, and it's amazing what you can do if you have a little insight into SQL.

Reply 10 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With all that's going on with Sun right now and MySQL devs leaving I don't get a comfy feeling with MySQL. 🙁

I have access to MSDN so I'll have no problem with testing out MS SQL (and hell SQL Express would likely fit my needs), only issue would be when I went to host the data I'd have to find a hosting service that provides SQL (or the ability to install SQL Express myself on a hosted VM).

The big issue I have is that with all of the data in my list it's going to take time to build a frontend and since I'm the most familiar with the data and what I want from it then I'd be the best person to implement it. Unfortunately I don't care for building web pages.....especially when that takes away from my testing. So I'll spend a ton of time doing something I don't want to do, even though I'd like the result of people being able to browse the compatibility list from web and submit their own data. heh.

For those that argue that it's "easy to build a frontend". It depends on what you want to do with it. Yeah I could write a query to display all fields and query only certain values but I want more than that.

What's likely going to happen is I'll just hit up Phillip at NTCompatible when I'm ready and see what he thinks since he's basically done the same thing. Expect NTCompatible is nowhere near where I want to go with my list it is the closest. With my luck when I get around to do it in 2030 NTCompatible will be gone because Linux will rule the world. 😀

Reply 11 of 18, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't be too afraid about the future of MySQL. I think it's one of the most used professional db's out there, so it's not very likely do die soon. The problem with MS SQL is that you need rather large budget for a live server (licenses and a Windows server). The express editions are for development only, and are not very well suited for productive systems. The db engine is not too important anyway - once you have the data organized, you can switch db's with relatively simple import/export functions, as long as you're not using db-specific functionality.

Creating a frontend won't take too much time, i think. If you can work together with someone who's familiar with the server side scripting language you want to use (PHP, etc.) it'd be a matter of days to implement a simple frontend. I've just done something similar (creating a db out of existing data, and a simple HTML frontend) with PHP, which neither me nor my partner were familiar with, and we finished this step of the project in about 4 weeks (working casually and discussing more than we were coding (; ).

With my luck when I get around to do it in 2030 NTCompatible will be gone because Linux will rule the world.

Hehehe... I've been hearing this "Linux will rule the world" for 15 years or so now. I wouldn't bet on that outcome.

Reply 12 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Jet (Access) is the worst fucking idea in the world. Shame on you for suggesting someone use it, unless you really really don’t like them.

Friends don’t let friends use Microsoft/Sybase/Oracle databases anyway. At least if MySQL goes defunct, or if you decide you hate it, you can simply and easily output an ANSI-compliant SQL dump and import it into the Next Big Thing. MS SQL makes it pretty much impossible to do that, and when you finally manage to get something resembling a standard SQL dump, you have to go through and change the dates because they are output in a raw HEX stream that isn’t understood by anything other than MSSQL.

But like ADDiCT says, there is not much chance of MySQL going away any time soon — is the most widely used RDBMS on the planet. Still, it seems like this is something that may more suited for sqlite if you are going to go down the database route.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 13 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:

I wouldn't be too afraid about the future of MySQL.

Not even after today's news?

http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/pr/2009-04/sunfla … .20090420.1.xml

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 14 of 18, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not worried. MySQL is still open source.

Whatever happens at Sun does not change the fact that MySQL is perfectly usable today. All of my databases are written using it, and I'm not going into any type of panic mode over todays news.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 15 of 18, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, still not afraid (;

MiniMax, i think you're hinting towards a situation where Oracle will shutdown MySQL in order to eliminate a competitor. That could happen, of course. But the thing is: Oracle and MySQL a two different worlds. Oracle is (and has always been) the professional db system, expensive and installed on huge servers. MySQL is sort of a "tiny" db system, which runs well on not-too powerful servers, and hasn't got many of the "pro" features of Oracle. MySQL is like a small man's oracle, so to say. What i'm trying to say is that there is a place for both products on the market. And if MySQL would be shut down, then there's still the open source side. I think there are already some forks of MySQL, and in the worst case i think development could go on with a dedicated group of coders.

Jet (Access) is the worst fucking idea in the world.

Sure, but using Access as a frontend for MySQL (or other db systems, via ODBC) is a very efficient and convenient way of working with the data. Besides, Access can be used to implement db structures etc. in a very efficient manner, and import that data into another system when the real work starts. (;

Still, it seems like this is something that may more suited for sqlite if you are going to go down the database route.

I wouldn't ecommend sqlite for a project on a larger scale. I've played around with it, and it's easy to use and compact. The problem is that it's also very, very slow. For a few hundred db records that may be OK, but for everyday data maintenance i wouldn't want to use it. I think the main reason for sqlite is when you want to distribute a small db with a self-written frontend program. This is where sqlite really shines, as you don't need to install any components on the target system in order to make the db work.

Reply 16 of 18, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want an idea of what you can do with mySQL for a game collection database. check out my little DB at http://www.dracowulf.com/stuff/gamedb/name

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 18 of 18, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Don't feel like explaining to people how to load a plugin when they try to view OpenOffice documents (and I don't know if the plugin that is available is compatible with older versions of Office).

Who said anything about a plugin? They can just download OpenOffice-- our computer and my laptop don't have office (after looking around I found that apparently after doing a "factory restore" on my laptop, and apparently I have fortunately I tried OpenOffice before then and now I'm used to it and prefer it-- largely because it's free and partly because of the annoying helper things and some of Microsoft's other fixations. The obvious advantage to me is that it's open source and I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon-- and before anyone brings up it's association with Sun, while they have helped it along, it's completely open source and they have no claim on it, so the only thing that can hold it back is a lack of interest, and I for one am very interested.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions