VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 240 of 442, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:
I've called creative earlier today, and the support person there told me they are unable to send me a copy of the original disc […]
Show full quote

I've called creative earlier today, and the support person there told me they are unable to send me a copy of the original disc any longer for these cards, they do not even have them in stock. It's clearly quite abandonware status now, we can't get originals, even from the manufacturer. And just because TPB website has other 'not so legal' software on there, does not mean that it can't be used for legitimate legal purposes like sharing old abandonware software that we can't obtain any more through 'correct channels'. I don't care if i get banned from this site, it's staying up there on TPB. There's already been 80 downloads (According to the trackers) So there's clearly a need for this software to remain up, 80 people need it, so far.

I chose TPB because it's one of the largest public torrent sites on the internet, to get the most coverage. There's nothing dodgy or illegal about distributing this software or this disc, we're not stealing something, because we can't get copies of it in the first place, we're sharing something that the original company does not even have at all any more.

I'm pretty sick and tired of people screaming "PIRACY! ILLEGAL!" just because they see the word torrent or peer-to-peer. There are many legitimate businesses that use torrent technology to distribute their software, one of the biggest is Blizzard Software, to distribute their World of Warcraft Patches. The other is most of the bigger distributions of linux frequently use torrent technology to let users download their install medium.

It's a shame you people here try and shun someone that does a good thing: making old, rare software more readily available to the masses. Last time i try to do anything beneficial on this forum site.... good riddance.

The concept of abandonware is not recognized under the law. Copyrights last for 75+ years so unless the copyright holder specifically places their work in the public domain, IT IS NOT LEGAL TO COPY OR DISTRIBUTE. It is as simple as that. You are breaking the law whenever you upload/ download from an abandonware site or from a torrent and to make matters worse you actually named others when you did it. Just because a game or other piece of software is no longer being actively supported or distributed by the copyright holder does not automatically terminate their rights or give you permission to take it upon yourself to distribute it.

Last edited by sliderider on 2011-06-27, 10:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 241 of 442, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

-Deleted-

I hereby grant any forum moderator full permission to delete this single post 😉

Last edited by Tetrium on 2011-06-28, 19:39. Edited 2 times in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 242 of 442, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

It is legal to get a replacement product of a product you own, and it's legal to create a backup copy for your own use.
And not all torrents are illegal per se
Btw, I noticed some of the download links are broken (downloading from the bottom to the top, the last 2 or so have broken links).

But if you buy something from ebay and it does not come with the software discs, you do not legally own the software and cannot obtain a copy by download, torrent, or disc copy unless the copyright holder gives you permission. If the thing you buy on ebay comes with an original software disc, THEN you can make backups for your own use but you still cannot pass them out to friends or upload them to the internet.

There was a company called RasterOps who made video cards for the Mac who kept tight control over their drivers and other software that came packed with their video cards. They did not allow them to be uploaded anywhere and sent Cease & Desist letters when they found them being hosted. They used to SELL you the software if you bought a used card and needed the drivers and it wasn't cheap. $75 for a driver disc so they had a big incentive to make sure you couldn't get the drivers anywhere else.

Reply 243 of 442, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I talked to Malik and it's all good now 😉

So any updates on the project? 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 244 of 442, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alright guys, we can continue posting our contributions here. I have communicated via PM to the posters here, and some wish to maintain the recent posts to let others know of their take on a subject.

I respect the others' right and their wish to keep the posts. No problem.

So shall we continue our work in contributions and helping others get the drivers working for their classic systems?

Cheers!

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 246 of 442, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Btw, my recent PCI soundcard thread got me thinking:
Would it be a good idea to start including non-SB disks?
Some of those obscure soundcards are very hard to find drivers for, especially the older stuff

Report spammers here!

Reply 248 of 442, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@WolverineDK : Yeah, I know we can depend on you, buddy. 😁

Sure Tetrium. I think it would be best to start a new thread, preferably one for each company or each series like Turtle Beach, Gravis Ultrasound or a single thread for "PCI sound cards for Dos"...or ssomething like that.

I have the dos drivers for few PCI sound cards.

Let me know what you guys think.

P.S. This thread is always open for any new contribution. We are still looking for :

a. Any other cds or disks that came with your SB sound cards or if you have any obscure disks that you got from a bulk sale, or something like that. (TheMAN's complete collection made it hard for us to get any new additions! 😜; jk, thanks for your mega collection, TheMAN.)

b. Pictures of some cds that I wish to link with WolverineDK's mirrors, and any other pictures will be nice.

c. And more happy users who can benefit from these drivers! 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 249 of 442, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
@WolverineDK : Yeah, I know we can depend on you, buddy. :happyhappy: […]
Show full quote

Sure Tetrium. I think it would be best to start a new thread, preferably one for each company or each series like Turtle Beach, Gravis Ultrasound or a single thread for "PCI sound cards for Dos"...or ssomething like that.

P.S. This thread is always open for any new contribution. We are still looking for :

a. Any other cds or disks that came with your SB sound cards or if you have any obscure disks that you got from a bulk sale, or something like that. (TheMAN's complete collection made it hard for us to get any new additions! 😜; jk, thanks for your mega collection, TheMAN.)

b. Pictures of some cds that I wish to link with WolverineDK's mirrors, and any other pictures will be nice.

I just got a Turtle Beach Montego II and no drivers.

Reply 250 of 442, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I checked my stack of driver disks a couple days ago and this is what I have:
-Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128
-Creative Soundblaster 64 CD (non-gold, it's a blue-orange disk)
-Soundblaster 16 Value PnP (another blue-orange disk)
-Soundblaster CD-ROM nr.11 (no idea what it is, but it's Dutch. No idea how much of it is in English)

I "thought" I also had a SB 64 Gold disk (came with a SB 64 Gold I was gifted a couple years ago) but as 1)it's "missing" 😁 and 2)It's already uploaded, it seems this one won't be necessary for me to upload this.

I don't know exactly what the SB CD-ROM nr.11 exactly is, but I've seen a couple of these for sale in a second hand shop with other numbers. Think it could be worthwhile to buy these?

Report spammers here!

Reply 252 of 442, by TrueMorph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought Sound Blaster 16 MCD (CT1750) recently but without drivers. It has ASP(CSP) chip on it and I wonder which drivers and updates should I use from this package any ideas? 😮

Retro Machine:
System: Am5x86-P75/133; GA-586AL Rev.2A; 16MB FPM
Video: Hercules Terminator 3D/DX 4MB
Sound: Sound Blaster Pro 2.0

Reply 253 of 442, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For DOS?

Just grab the SBBASIC package from the Creative site. If it needs CTCM (the plug and play thingy) grab that also...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 254 of 442, by TrueMorph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes for DOS 😀

Ok. Thanks 😀

Retro Machine:
System: Am5x86-P75/133; GA-586AL Rev.2A; 16MB FPM
Video: Hercules Terminator 3D/DX 4MB
Sound: Sound Blaster Pro 2.0

Reply 255 of 442, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

For DOS?

Just grab the SBBASIC package from the Creative site. If it needs CTCM (the plug and play thingy) grab that also...

he needs the CSPU package also, otherwise the CSP chip won't be used

Reply 256 of 442, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For DOS? What games support this chip?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 258 of 442, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:
I think there is one : <DIR> SoundBlaster 1.0 CT-1350B Install Disks. (Please see the second dir listing box in the beginning po […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:

I guess I must add my SB1.x disks to this collection...I see there's no SB1.x drivers at all here...

I think there is one : <DIR> SoundBlaster 1.0 CT-1350B Install Disks. (Please see the second dir listing box in the beginning post above.)

Of course, you can add your drivers too. Perhaps it's a different version.
I also have my Original SoundBlaster 1.5 installation floppies. They're in 5.25" floppies but it's been about 18 years now and I don't want to risk my 5.25" FDD getting infested with fungi. Dunno which fungus is currently colonizing the floppies now. I only have one 5.25" FDD cleaner. 😉

I have checked that DIR also. When i look in to the readme.txt file is says that those driver are for Soundblaster 2.0 NOT for soundblaster 1.5

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 259 of 442, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
Malik wrote:
@WolverineDK : Yeah, I know we can depend on you, buddy. :happyhappy: […]
Show full quote

I just got a Turtle Beach Montego II and no drivers.

Hehe, who is joking now???

sliderider wrote:

But if you buy something from ebay and it does not come with the software discs, you do not legally own the software and cannot obtain a copy by download, torrent, or disc copy unless the copyright holder gives you permission. If the thing you buy on ebay comes with an original software disc, THEN you can make backups for your own use but you still cannot pass them out to friends or upload them to the internet.

There was a company called RasterOps who made video cards for the Mac who kept tight control over their drivers and other software that came packed with their video cards. They did not allow them to be uploaded anywhere and sent Cease & Desist letters when they found them being hosted. They used to SELL you the software if you bought a used card and needed the drivers and it wasn't cheap. $75 for a driver disc so they had a big incentive to make sure you couldn't get the drivers anywhere else.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

You sad its not legal, and then ask self for drivers.. 😘

~ At least it can do black and white~