VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/0 … 830230&from=rss

Techradar reports that researchers at the University of Portsmouth in England are working on a project to create a game emulator that will "recognise and play all types of videogames and computer files from the 1970s through to the present day." One of the major goals of the project is to preserve software from early in the computer age. David Anderson of the Humanities Computing Group said, "Early hardware, like games consoles and computers, are already found in museums. But if you can't show visitors what they did, by playing the software on them, it would be much the same as putting musical instruments on display but throwing away all the music. ... Games particularly tend not to be archived because they are seen as disposable, pulp cultural artefacts, but they represent a really important part of our recent cultural history. Games are one of the biggest media formats on the planet and we must preserve them for future generations."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 5, by kenny120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WOW. A legitimate educational institute taking interest in the "legacy" and I guess cultural aspects of video/computer games. I'm reminded of the scene in that movie from the 60's about H.G. Wells time machine when he asks the people of the future about "Books. You must have some record of your knowledge". The kid shows him a bookshelf full of books. He reaches to grab one and It just crumbles into dust. I feel like that when I go to a garage sale or flea market and someone is selling an old Nintento or even an Atari 2600. Will they have the knowledge to get those old games to run? Or would they even be interested in it? I see young kids wearing Led Zeppelin T-shirts and wonder if they even really know what the impact that band had on modern music. There was Pop music pre-nirvana and post-nirvana. I think it was the same with Led Zeppelin. Of course, thats just my opinion. People talk about our western "judao-christian" heritage. Well, I think future generations may actually study our "Jedi-Klingon" heritage as well.

All that we are .............. â–’DB V.72 for
Is all that you'd love to beâ–’WIN XP
All that we know.............â–’DB V.65 for
Is hate and machinery.....▒Linux Xandros Φ
We're engineers

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle

Reply 2 of 5, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, academics like to study things, so eventually they are bound to study things that once upon a time were regarded as frivolous.

For example Edward Castronova is an academic economist who studies virtual economies like World of Warcraft. Personally I am not convinced we can derive many real-world economic truths from studying price behaviours or income distributions in a virtual world, although I need to study it intensively - and at first hand - for a few more years to reach a firm conclusion on that 😁 .

Reply 3 of 5, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it is cool, that they are thinking of making such an emulator. But then again, they could sadly also make a rushjob(a fuckup in my mind), and just thrown in all the source from the different open source emulators when it comes to different games systems /computers/consoles etc.

But anyway I know of a person who has made a Manchester Baby Simulator (I believe he passed the test back then) , and he is one of my personal friends who lives in Scotland so that is something I think is even more awesome in comparison. But then again I just like the courage that they show of trying to make an "Ultimate Game Emulator".

Reply 4 of 5, by kenny120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Ratfink, I'll bet if you wrote a really good request for a grant based on this, some university would fund it and you could do a PHD dissertation and publish some books. I have a friend who is a real computer engineer who thinks along those same lines. He blows my mind about "virtural" economies and stuff. I think the economic crisis America is having is closely related to that. I mean, who cares what you do - the dollars are just numbers on a screen, they do not actually represent anything REAL. I mean, I know you say that when you go to the ATM and get $100 "real" dollars. 😉

All that we are .............. â–’DB V.72 for
Is all that you'd love to beâ–’WIN XP
All that we know.............â–’DB V.65 for
Is hate and machinery.....▒Linux Xandros Φ
We're engineers

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle

Reply 5 of 5, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm...from Universal Game Emulator to Institution to Economics.

I thought a current PC is already a Multi Game Machine Emulator. 😁

Perhaps this is a way to circumvent the original machines' roms misuse which is seen now, by legalizing or getting the system patented to use the classic games legally.

And I wonder....suppose they actually made it a reality, will each game be charged as per download? And I'm guessing that the maker will buy all the rights to to sell the games? Change of Copyright hands? Or perhaps, they'll sell all the games which are made into roms built-in the hardware or a hard drive or something?

Hmmm....now I went from economics to copyrights. Again! 😜