VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cruisefx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking on Retrograde Station (retrograde.trustno1.org), I find that there is a short prologue that mentions psychosis and CGA graphics. I find this to be quite amusing an observation. Even the cover art for some games was enough to give me psychotic nightmares as a child (particularly the Ultimas published through the Sierra label). I have come to grow up with such subliminal messages in my lifetime with no regrets.

Of course, being older and wiser, I can see that society has its ways of sterilizing (or should I say sanitizing?) the public welfare as we transgress into the modern era of post-9/11 thought, psychosis becomes not a character flaw or something inspired, but rather an inherent illnesss that needs to be subdued in more and more people, even children.

Some are treated with little medication. These are the individuals who seem to be caught up in the mere abstract thought of psychosis. Those who need to be on more have worse motives for feeling that way.

Truly ironic, the situation is. It seems governments seem to want to maintain their own power by making paranoid thoughtcrimes illegal, through violent means, no doubt.

Anyone here have anything related to mention?

Reply 1 of 3, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cruisefx wrote:

It seems governments seem to want to maintain their own power by making paranoid thoughtcrimes illegal,

Er no they dont (checks to see if anyone has ever been convicted of paranoid thoughtcrimes and guess what...)

You are nuts...
so fire up a classic like system shock, theif or deus ex and maybe the gaming gods will smile upon you and cure you of such crazyness
because we all know gaming goodness is the one true path to salvation

Reply 2 of 3, by cruisefx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you've ever been involuntarily hospitalized, sectioned, or whatever the terminology is in your state or province, you would understand what I mean. For instance, where I live, anyone can hospitalize anyone for any reason and they will brought in front of a panel for review with just a form. This system has been abused, I've heard the stories.

If you happen to have any obsessive problems as a result of paranoia, you will become ward of the state or province in question if you are unlucky enough.

So, perhaps it is not being convicted of a crime EXACTLY, but the government would incarcerate you just the same.

And yes, perhaps I am nuts for talking about such things and taking the discussion to wacky levels, but I have had some jolting experiences in my lifetime.

And yes, brother, I need all of the therapy that a good game can provide. I'll pass on "Ghostbusters II" by Activision, "Countdown" by Access, and "It Came From The Desert" by Cinemaware.