VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This looks interesting.

ebay item # 110356583604 (copy-and-paste in to ebay's search box)

I'm guessing that this thing might be a bit faster than my Creative 3d blaster sli combo. 😉

Reply 1 of 30, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣
"Reserve price is set for £399, no offers are accepted"
is he serious? The professional that needs that kind of cards is sure spent that kind of money for a Quadro card for example, that will run circle around 8xVoodoo2 cards...
(unless there is something so special about those combo-cards that I am not aware of...)

Reply 2 of 30, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC you need NT4 to run Mercury. There will be no frame rate boost, though. The purpose of the thing is solely for FSAA.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 30, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The price is way too high and the function of this card is far too specialized for your average retro-computer, but there are collectors of everything 3dfx who may be willing to pay.

Reply 4 of 30, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From the OP, this auction ends today (07/03/09). It's got a way to go before it reaches its reserve price. Strange how it's not been tested.

Edit: It sold! For £436 - more than its huge reserve price.

Reply 5 of 30, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this the same card? www.ebay.com/itm/Quantum-OBSIDIAN2-SBi- ... f11?[/img]

What exactly is this thing (I assume it's a SLI V2)? Does it need Mercury to work?

Reply 6 of 30, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bushwack wrote:

What exactly is this thing (I assume it's a SLI V2)? Does it need Mercury to work?

The original post is for like, umm 4 of those 😜!
So that's like having 8 Voodoo 2 cards linked. You can learn more about this in Donovan's Dodge Garage!

Reply 8 of 30, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bushwack wrote:

I'm surprised those aren't selling faster at that price. They are useless without the Medusa cable, though.

Reply 9 of 30, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like how the Dodge Garage site shows you how to wire one, I just wouldn't have the time or patience to do it. Was NT a must for a Mercury? I thought they could run on Win2000 as well. Cool stuff, though.

(Edit: oh duh, I see it now- "Operating system- NT4 with service pack 3 or better. Windows 2000 works with a brick using the NT4 drivers but the control panel applet is missing. I'm trying to get this rectified now.")

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 10 of 30, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmrydholm wrote:

I like how the Dodge Garage site shows you how to wire one, I just wouldn't have the time or patience to do it. Was NT a must for a Mercury? I thought they could run on Win2000 as well. Cool stuff, though.

(Edit: oh duh, I see it now- "Operating system- NT4 with service pack 3 or better. Windows 2000 works with a brick using the NT4 drivers but the control panel applet is missing. I'm trying to get this rectified now.")

That page shows how it is wired up in a Heavy Metal Mercury system, which is different. In the Mercury you have several cards tied together with a smaller board and it's through the smaller board that the Medusa cable connects. You can bypass this board to get a Mercury system to work without the Medusa, but you can't do it with a X-16,X-24, or SB200/i without having to desolder the Medusa connector and tying into the pins there which basically ruins the value of the card.

q3d_merc_rear_overview.jpg

Shows the rear view of the Mercury. Notice the outputs from the individual cards in the brick are *NOT* what are being adapted with the cable he is building. It is the ribbon cable inside the system that he is adapting to eliminate the Medusa cable. If you don't have a Heavy Metal Mercury system, it will not work.

q3d_merc_pcb_rear.jpg

Shows the small circuit board with the Medusa connector that *IS* what is being bypassed by the cable in the diagram. There is no way you are connecting the cable he builds out of a floppy cable directly to the Medusa connector on any of the Q3D video cards that require it. You need to buy or build an actual Medusa cable.

Reply 11 of 30, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sliderider wrote:

I'm surprised those aren't selling faster at that price.

Spoke too soon 😉

img4252u.jpg

img4330d.jpg

sliderider wrote:

They are useless without the Medusa cable, though

I have quite a bit of the medusas 😀

You can have any decent individual/ company that makes custom cables fab one up for you using the pinouts listed on falconfly. There is also a 14pin connector on the card itself labeled, "Vid out." To me it seems it may be possible to construct an adapter using this port, but I have found no info on the intrawebs regarding its usage.

Reply 12 of 30, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Me: (Tony Stark voice) "...I want one." 😳
My wife: "No, John, no. You've got four Voodoo cards. You don't need that."

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 13 of 30, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so, you were the one who bought five of these?I bought four of them too with chances of buying more 😀

seller supplied me with some pics before shipping em and all the four cards seemed to have a backplate connected to the card with VGA male/female ports like the ones from the normal voodoo graphics boards? maybe I can bypass the medusa connector 😳

I will post pics ASAP

Reply 14 of 30, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

no, that wasn't me, I just have accumulated a total of 3 BlackMagic Voodoo 2's and one AGP Voodoo 5. Two of my V2's are running in SLI on an AMD Socket A system, the other is in my old Socket 7 Pentium Optiplex. I put the V5 in my Quantum3d Graphite box. I think that's good enough for now!

Reply 17 of 30, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

so, you were the one who bought five of these?I bought four of them too with chances of buying more 😀

seller supplied me with some pics before shipping em and all the four cards seemed to have a backplate connected to the card with VGA male/female ports like the ones from the normal voodoo graphics boards? maybe I can bypass the medusa connector 😳

I will post pics ASAP

I thought the same! If you look closely, they are DB9 ports for external swaplock 🙁

Reply 18 of 30, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

same for you, it's nice to see you here 😀

about the i/o plate.. Duuuuuhhh, well.. at least it's something more.. are you sure you can't use these to output normal video?

and WOWZORZ 56 cards? did u mean 5 instead? anyway 5 or 6 that's sick hehe. I personally bought 4 of them just in case someday I happen to have enough parts to build a mercury config with my barton mp rig 😜. If I still have some money after upgrading my main pc maybe I'll buy more... I'm a 16 yo obsessed guy you know 😁

Btw I forgot to ask the seller if he could have done at least a little discount at the time of buying them 🙁 maybe next time

Reply 19 of 30, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, my bad! I do obsess over 3dfx from time to time.