VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rixasha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was thinking of purchasing Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny from the id software web store, but my question on whether the versions on sale are the original DOS versions went unanswered. Has anyone here purchased these titles, and what do the downloads contain?

I would be playing them on real DOS and DOSBox, and it wouldn't be the first time that something having DOS in its system requirements turns out in fact to be just a Windows port.

Reply 2 of 36, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They have no official Windows versions, and their official code only compiles for dos, so yes, they would be the DOS versions. On Steam, it's bundled with a protected version of DOSBox.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 36, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
leileilol wrote:

On Steam, it's bundled with a protected version of DOSBox.

Bundled, not tied. Means you can run the games using whatever DOSBox version you want.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 36, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That wrapper code seems to have been done away with for everything on Steam that uses DOSBox, meaning the Steam versions of those two games are indeed original DOS versions and have no copy protection whatsoever.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 8 of 36, by Calvero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Didn't the original Spear of Destiny have copy protection by asking you for a question and you having to look up the answer in the manual? (or typing a special word that bypassed this copy protection)

Reply 13 of 36, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

I don't remember there ever being copy protection for Spear of Destiny.

There is, it just asks you general trivia questions about the game's manual and id software

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 36, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll load up the copy I got off of the Quake Shareware CD from back in the day and see tonight.

I suppose there were different versions.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 36, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
static- wrote:

neat. something requested by dosbox team or they just took self-initiative?

It broke the DOSBbox license iirc which is what forced Steam to re-release the games with an unprotected version of DOSbox.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 19 of 36, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Highly recommended:
http://www.doomworld.com/wolfendoom/

I have ported the Wolfenstein missions to DOOM II, creating what is essentially an improved and updated Wolfenstein. Each scenario is painstakingly recreated as a DOOM II WAD, complete with all the Wolfenstein textures, objects, sounds, and enemies. The result is a total conversion, a complete Wolfenstein experience which takes full advantage of the DOOM engine. There are even ambient sounds.

In addition to recreating the original missions, I have also created brand new scenarios which go beyond the original scope and concept of Wolfenstein. Scenarios such as Operation: Arctic Wolf, Operation: Rheingold, and the Astrostein Trilogy take the Wolfenstein fan where no Wolfenstein has gone before, immersing the player in adventures not possible with the original Wolfenstein.

It's a total conversion for Doom (also compatible with some Windows sourceports of the Doom engine, with optional mouselook and hi-res and all that) that has the original Wolf3D, SoD, and around 10 more expanded-universe episodes (from memory).

I played the whole series a few years ago, and have replayed them so many times - they are GOLD and highly recommended (although you need a registered version of DOOM2 aswell, specifically the IWAD).

Regards,
CosmicDan