VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by wolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't know where else to ask this;

I have lots of ROMs that are uncompressed and would like to put them all in their own individual zip file. This is very tedious when you have hundreds of files to do.
I have winzip and 7-zip and don't know if it can, I messed around a lot with these programs, or if anyone can suggest a program that I can select all my files at once and zip them all individually at once.

Thanks

Reply 4 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If they are stored on an NTFS partition it may make more sense to use NTFS compression on the directory that they are stored on.
NTFS compression will pretty much offers the same compression ratio as a zip file I believe.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 16, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wolf wrote:

I didn't know where else to ask this;

I have lots of ROMs that are uncompressed and would like to put them all in their own individual zip file. This is very tedious when you have hundreds of files to do.
I have winzip and 7-zip and don't know if it can, I messed around a lot with these programs, or if anyone can suggest a program that I can select all my files at once and zip them all individually at once.

Total Commander can absolutely do this. You select all the files you want to compress, select Pack from the Files menu and on the window that pops up, you check the box for "Create separate archives, one per selected file/dir" and it will Zip (or Rar, etc) each file separately. The only, very minor, downside is that each file will have a double extension afterwards, such as GAME.BIN.ZIP, however that's usually just a cosmetic problem. It can easily be fixed by using TC's multi-rename to do a search/replace on BIN.ZIP to just ZIP.

Reply 6 of 16, by wolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This total commander sounds interesting. Is there anyway at all to get rid of the double extensions?
If not, then I am right back to where I started. having to rename it to remove the extra extension will make me work harder then just right clicking each one and zipping it. will take a lot longer.

ALSO, I don't use them on a separate partition. I want to have them zipped for better transfer from comp to comp (size wise).

Reply 7 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Winrar does that, too. If you have it installed you will have a shell extension installed as well. In Explorer or Total Commander (or whatever 😀) select the files you want to have zipped, right click and choose "add to archive" (or similar, I have the German version). This will open a Winrar options window. In the fourth tab ("files") you have the option "each file in a different archive" (or similar). In the first tab you can choose between rar or zip (and the strength of compression) and if you want to delete the source file after archiving.
Winrar will not make double extensions.

BUT I think that other tools like Winzip or 7-zip will have the same functionality. Winrar is just the tool that I use for something like that.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I set up a batch file to 7zip directories into separate archives. It's nice to not have to use WinRAR cuz that's commercial. I had a massive directory of zip files that I wanted to convert to 7z. It saved gigabytes of space. It was very impressive.

I wanted to learn more about working with loops in batch files and this was a chance. I have to say that I don't really like batch programming because it does strange things with variables at times. It's also rather obscure.....

@echo off

FOR /F "delims=*" %%A IN ('dir /b *.') DO (
IF NOT EXIST "%%A.7z" (
"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a -t7z "%CD%\%%A.7z" "%CD%\%%A\*.*" -mmt=on -r -mx9
)
)
ECHO Finished
pause

This loops through all the folders in a directory and makes 7zips with their name containing their contents (recursively too). Sets 7zip to make a 7z file with max compression and multithreading enabled.

Reply 10 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Not sure why you chose to use that /F delims and dir /b stuff. I would have used

FOR /D %%A IN (*)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MiniMax wrote:

Not sure why you chose to use that /F delims and dir /b stuff. I would have used

FOR /D %%A IN (*)

Probably because in my searching I only found endless examples of FOR /F for operating on files within folders. You're right, FOR /D looks great for this task.

Excellent batch guide site
http://www.ss64.com/nt/

Reply 12 of 16, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would also suggest Total Commander. As Rekrul stated, with the multi rename tool it's pretty easy to take care of the unwanted double extension.

Total Commander is one of the tools I consider absolutely necessary and I carry it around on a flash drive wherever I go. It's one of the few non-game shareware programs that I have registered, and the upgrades have been free since the days of Windows 3.1. I used Norton Commander in DOS for years, and TC had the identical layout and shortcut keys so it was easy to step right into. Back then it was Windows Commander but Microsoft made them change the name. The multi zip and multi rename are just a couple things that it can do, I think you would find many more useful features as well.

Reply 13 of 16, by wolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i will try Total Commander also, but if TC and WinRar both zip seperatly, but I have to run a second program to rename them after zipping, then I just rather use the easiest one with WinRar to decrease the steps needed to do what I need.

Reply 16 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you're welcome, it was my pleasure 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper