Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopi … &forum=122&sp=0
http://alazander.blogspot.com/2009/04/mow-and-drm.html

Hi Everybody, […]
Show full quote

Hi Everybody,

I wanted to clarify for you what Atari is intending with regard to the 3 activations for MoW. So I’ve consulted with them to get some specific details and prepared a list of clarifications.

Firstly, please note that entering your serial key when installing MoW is NOT the same thing as MoW automatically authenticating with the Atari server in order to activate.

- With 3 activations you can install MoW on 3 different PCs.
- If you reinstall MoW on the same PC with unchanged hardware (see below for details), you can do this an unlimited number of times. You can do this on 3 different PCs.
- If you uninstall MoW and reinstall it, the westgate.key file (generated from the authentication) in your NWN2 folder won't have been removed, so your new MoW installation will not count as an activation.
- If you uninstall MoW and NWN2 (on the same PC), and then reinstall them, you can either have backed up your westgate.key file (to copy back into your NWN2 folder so MoW doesn't have to authenticate again) or not backed up the key at all and let MoW authenticate again (in this case, it will detect that this machine has activated before). In either case, this will not count as an activation.
- If you change your RAM or video card (and likely sound card too) and play or install MoW, this will not count as an activation. I don’t have 100% confirmation from Atari on this next part, but I would expect that changing your CPU, motherboard, or hard drive where MoW is installed would count as an activation.
- If you reformat your hard drive and reinstall your OS, NWN2, and MoW, but without changing your hardware configuration, then this “normally” shouldn’t be another activation. I say “normally” because that is the wording that Atari told me.
- Apparently, for some retail games, a user can revoke their usage of it in order to resell it, so that the slate is wiped clean for a new user to install and activate (I think this is termed an “installation reset”). Atari has said that can’t be the case for a digitally-distributed title like MoW.
- If you surpass 3 activations, then you can contact Atari tech support in order to get another activation.

I hope this has helped answer your questions about activations.
- Alan

Not going to rant about it. Just posting to inform everybody since I just heard about it today.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess such tactics are OK for now , but what happens in the future? Some years from now, when that game is considered aged, and propably the activation servers (or atari itself) are long gone, what happens?
We where saved many times by "special groups altering code" (buggy protections, protections not working in newer hardware/OSes) I hope we are saved again 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 4, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What happens when someone wants to install a game on a computer that isn't connected to the internet?
Install a game that has had the serial key copied by a store employee who resealed the game afterwards?
That their hard drive fails and needs to be replaced, preventing them from uninstalling one of their activations?
What happens in a few years to the used-game market? (Though frankly I think the game companies are deliberately trying to kill that.) More than a few games I have only because I purchased them second-hand. They simply are no longer available in any other form. And there are more than a few that I would love to purchase if I could find them at a reasonable price.

And the more anyone thinks about internet activation, the more problems can be easily and obviously foreseen. With the worst and most blatant, over a longer frame of time. And what of the less obvious problems?

These companies are deliberately sabotaging their own games so that they will not run except under very specific circumstances.
Given the problems I have had getting some games to run, I do not think they need to make things worse.
And the worst part is that I fear that this is merely a beginning for them. That over time the requirements and problems will become more and more draconian.

And then they turn around and wonder why sales are dropping?

For some reason, I remember a Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin's father was explaining precisely how the weight limit for bridges was determined.
As he put it, they would keep driving heavier and heavier trucks across the bridge until it collapsed, whereupon they would weigh the last truck that successfully crossed, rebuild the bridge, then have the weight limit be that of the last truck to pass over.
In a few years time, when the Windows gaming market has gone the way of the Atari 2600 cartridge market, will people say that this form of DRM or that is far too extreme, so therefore whenever the market (eventually) recovers, the new game companies can know just how far they can push matters?

Reply 4 of 4, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

they don't care if the PC gaming market fails, people will switch to console versions instead.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website