Common searches

RIP 3D Realms

Topic actions

First post, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What surprises me most is that it took so long... 3D Realms shut down over lack of funding. It is a shame tho, especially considering the goodwill they've shown us retro-gamers with their frequent freeware releases of their old titles.

Reply 3 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If this is true then I'm somewhat relieved. Having DNF hanging over our heads for 12+ years was annoying. Although if it's as near completion as GB as hinted for the past 5+ years then I'm sure it will be completed somehow. 😉 Rome wasn't built in a day......

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-05-07, 10:31. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 28, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Better to just have it die anyway. People expecting the next coming of christ with dnf and then having it suck isn't something you'd wanna be responsible for 😀

Reply 6 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Regardless, here's what happened in the time it took Duke Nukem Forever to blow our minds and then disappear like a fart in a strong breeze.

😁

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3D Realms dug it's own grave by naming their own watermark game's child - FOREVER! Sometimes one's own prophecy comes to pass. I remember playing the shareware versions of DN3D and Shadow Warrior again and again over modem with my friend a decade ago.
I'll miss it too. No, not DNF but 3D Realms. RIP.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 28, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ya know, I can't believe it, but on the other hand they kinda deserved it. I just hated to read all kinds of bullshit about DNF over and over again. It's said for all the good games they did in the past and for how important 3d Realms was to the PC games world.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 9 of 28, by dudalb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So ends the biggest fiasco in Computer Gaming history.
I am sure lots of horror stories will emerge about this project. If nothing else, it will be a textbook example of how NOT to develop a game.,
I know all the details of the fiasco are not out, but it is hard to avoid putting a healthy share of the blame on GB. It happened on his watch.
And I am very skeptical that it was "nearly completed". It has been "Nearly Completed" for how many years now???????
Some other company can buy the rights to the game, since Take 2 has stated they will not be funding it (and who can blame them?) but ,let's face it, a whole generation of gamers has grown up who only know Duke Nukem by name and by the endless jokes about DNF, and it can be argued that he only has some nostalgia value left. Because of that, and the whole wretched history of the game..it has been the laughing stock of not just the gaming industry but the computer industry as a whole...I doubt any major company is going to be anxious to pick up the game.
As The Dukester would say, "This Really Sucks".

Reply 10 of 28, by DOS4dinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😢 I will never forget them.

Does anybody know what's going to happen to their older games? With the company dead, will they release them as freeware?

Reply 11 of 28, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probbably not. I think their games will remain for sale on any site like GOG.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 13 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gameplay movie released:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/316683.html

I'd suggest using DownloadHelper Firefox Addon to download it before it gets pulled.

Reply 14 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

This Duke guy, why is he so angry? Does he have issues?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 16 of 28, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bad news for the company and the team and I hope they find a future!

I would have bought DNF - even though I rarely play any modern games - just to see how well it turned out. However, I didn't and still don't think about how long they've been working on it as that's none of my concern/care.

Reply 17 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used wget on the 3drealms ftp last night just in case it goes down not sure what the distribution rights are for the games though.

I think ClassicDosGames has them all anyway.

Reply 18 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay after reading this thread: http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35549

I'm downloading the 3drealms website as well...