Common searches

Rant Time

Topic actions

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TFT Monitors stink for playing classic games on them. DOS games were made for display on CRT monitors. One of the few advantages a CRT still has over a TFT monitor is that it has no native resolution. On a TFT, images will appear much more sharp on the device's native resolution than on any other it may support.

A CRT has a range of resolutions which it can look good in. The resolutions it can look good in are limited by the dot pitch and size of the monitor and the resolutions and refresh rates the monitor was designed to handle. A CRT handles low resolutions alot better than a TFT. DOS games typically use resolutions like 320x200 and 640x480, which are very low to modern TFTs. In fact, for a resolution lower than 640x480, most TFTs will upscale it to 720x400. A CRT has no problem displaying those resolutions and giving an even stretch so that the image takes up the whole screen. Each scanline is the same size, each pixel the same width across.

With 4:3 ratio monitors becoming harder to find with standalone TFTs and almost impossible with laptops, we can lose the proper aspect ratio, deal with the proper aspect ratio with large pillarboxing or uneven stretching or stretch the image unnaturally. I always prefer my pixels to be of the same size and in the proper aspect ratio Many, many Windows games do not support widescreen modes as well. Support for 16:9/10 modes is, except for a few rare anomalies, is a 21st Century innovation in computer games.

Keyboards are a subject with which I have a particular passion. In my opinion, the two best keyboard manufacturers were IBM and Northgate. IBM set the gold standard for quality manufacturing, I am typing this on a 1986-vintage Model M. Nortgate made fabulous programmable keyboards that were compatible with virtually every important machine. Both were clicky keyboards and solidly constructed. They used real mechanical switches, not the mushy rubber domes or membrane keyboards of today's machines.

These keyboards had full size keys, not the scrunched function keys and tiny arrow and editing keys of today's laptops and desktop keyboards. People no longer like the 3x2 arrangement of the editing keys, or think that there need to be silly curved keys. People are using keyboards more often now than ever before, but it seems the quality of said keyboards is going down the tubes. How are people supposed to learn how to type or want to type on crap?
IBM's 101 Model M keyboard is, overall, the best keyboard layout mankind has yet devised.

For laptops, I hate nothing more than unevenly sized keys. I think a standard layout should be as follows. First, you should decide to keep the editing, cursor and seldom used keys or a numeric keypad, but not both. There are enough keys for each function on the numeric keypad. Have a module that can be plugged in on the side for the extra keys. Second, the only changes that should be made to the 101 key-keyboard is to put a (letter-sized) Windows key between the left Alt and Ctrl and a Menu key between the right Alt and Ctrl. Better still, since the menu key can be simulated by a Ctrl + Esc, why not just use a Fn key on the left side and a Windows key on the right?

Reply 1 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have had several IBM keyboards and, yes, they are the best keyboard EVER. Period.

The most important thing being they had no fucking WINDOWS KEYS, which I hate, along with other craploads of frigging stupid keys.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 16, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's the Windows key that is simulated by Ctrl-Esc to open the start menu, but it's also used as a modifier (Win-E to open Explorer etc) which can actually be quite useful. The menu key is simulated by Shift-F10, so that one is indeed pretty much useless, at least, I almost never use it. Personally, I love the Logitech G15. Nice keypress action without being too loud, the only difference from the IBM layout is the | \ key, the extra features are actually useful and there's a switch to disable the Windows key for games especially. No wonder I have two of em 😀

For the screens it is indeed annoying much of the time. Of course, there are also quite a few games running in 320x200 that don't have aspect ratio correction and are thus actually drawn to 16:10 ratio. Those look good (though not authentic) on a 1680x1050 display. Perhaps we should have a new scaler in DOSBox that simulates the look of a real CRT display (similar to this).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some fancy CRT scaler effects would be interesting to see, especially with composite CGA games and such.

I finally found another discussion about simulating CRT behavior on modern displays that I had come across a few weeks ago:

http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/660
http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/661

Reply 5 of 16, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I neve got that hate for the Windows key. Ever. It irritates me that, when using any given Linux distro, the key does nothing. I don't care if the are key combos that do it. When I press that god damned button, I want to see my start menu, regardless of OS. That shit is a textbook example of what is wrong with the Linux community, and why it goes nowhere. There is no reason for the nonfunctionality, other than stupid faggoty fanboi shit. I want to like Linux, but this shit is why I don't.

Reply 6 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It irritates me that, when using any given Windows distro, the Windows key is almost totally useless. When I press that god damned button, I want it to work as a global hotkey that I can use to control any of the functions available in any of my currently running applications. And I want to use the other one separately as a Compose key so I can type non-English characters without having to enter random numbers into the number pad. That shit is a textbook example of what is wrong with the Windows community, and why it goes nowhere. There is no reason for the nonfunctionality, other than stupid faggoty corporate shit. I want to like Windows, but this shit is why I don’t.

HMMMM.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 16, by Malignant Manor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The windows key is extremely easy to hit and will cause you to switch out of full screen applications. I'll use alt+ and ctrl+ for hotkeys and it is right in between them. I've removed the key several times.

Reply 10 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was hilarious.

My G15 keyboard has a switch to disable the Windows key, but I'm so used to it after well over a decade that I never hit it accidentally any more.

Reply 11 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there was a program called doswinkey that disabled the win key
it was either part of windows powertoys or windows kernel toys
not sure if it works in xp though

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 13 of 16, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have sometimes wished for a Windows key, but it is increasingly rare. Upon discovering Ctrl + Esc, I have never wished for the Menu key again.

For those of us who love DOS games, function keys are essential, as are full-sized cursor keys. I also enjoy full-size editing keys.

People seemed to manage quite well with XT/AT keyboards back in the day, why not just use them and ditch the rest? The numeric keypad gives all the functions of the editing and cursor keys. Back when I was in college I would pine for a numeric keypad on my laptop when taking notes.

Reply 14 of 16, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About those Northgate keyboards, of what vintage are they ?
Never heard of them until now.

Looks like they're of the AT variety(non PS2) ?

Some of them look kinda weird as well, with those function keys on the left... and what's up with that strange 'blank' row on top on some of them, are those 'keys' that can be pressed, or something ? 😕

Obviously there are many models, with different keys etc.

If I'm typing this on an IBM-M(a 'young' -87), what would be the reasons for me to get a Northgate instead, and what models are the best ?
(ranting encouraged! 😁 )

Here's an intriguing looking one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-SLIDERS-ALPS-keyboar … Q2em118Q2el1247

Wonder what it does...
But the cost.... ouch !! 😵

Or maybe this one ?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Northgate-Refurbished-Omn … Q2em118Q2el1247

oh, and then there's this:
http://www.cvtinc.com/products/keyboards/menu.htm

Brand new stuff, cost and availability unknown...

Reply 16 of 16, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Usually the quickest way out of a full-screen game in Windows is to press the "Windows" key, and since I don't have my specs memorized, I use Win-Break when someone asks or I just feel like it (it used to bring up Device Manager, more useful, now it just brings up a sort of summary), and as was mentioned, in Linux you can use it in various ways.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions