VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I meant to read the book and I've read about it before but I haven't read it or seen the movie before. I liked it and finally found out exactly what the deal is with Arthur Dent, Magrathea, mice, Marvin, and of course 42. and... I'm not sure what else to say; I kind of feel like I snuck into a secret club everyone knows about and was unexpectedly accepted

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 1 of 24, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do yourself a favour and read the book (or listen to the original radio broadcasts). The film is a very very very poor substitutes. It's like they took all of the jokes from the original, threw them away and turned the remainder into the film. While the book and radio broadcast had me laughing out loud almost continuously, I didn't smile (let alone laugh) even once while watching the film. The only thing bearing any resemblance to the original story is Marvin.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 24, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was thinking about how it was funny when I remembered it wasn't really funny so much as it was surreal and irreverent, unless there were in-jokes I didn't get-- and I kind of assumed there were. I'm going to grab the book the next time I see it, whether at the library the next time I go to the (awesome) flea market I went to today or the (awesome) farmer's market I went to yesterday for the first time in a while.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 4 of 24, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of it really doesn't make sense. For instance, when getting picked up by the Vogon constructor fleet, Ford tells Arthur not to worry, they're safe. In the radio broadcast and book, there's some humour in the situation, as Arthur then replies "Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of."

They left out that reply in the movie, thus eliminating the joke. I can't imagine that being cut for time constraints, as it saves maybe 5 seconds.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 5 of 24, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed in the movie that one of the robots in the waiting line on Vogshpere was the original Marvin from the the 1981 TV series. It was the one redeeming quality. Everything else about it was contrived to wrap it up in 90 minutes. Specifically Zaphod autographing the demolish order and the emotion gun. I suspect it's because the dolphin musical number took up so much of the beginning.

Reply 8 of 24, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

If it was the 2005 movie you're still missing out. The 1981 TV series was much better.

Quoted for truth.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 9 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Although (and forgive me for saying this) it really wasn't that great either.
/Goes and hides somewhere.

😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 24, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I saw this movie, also. In fact, I own it on DVD. And I really like some of the aliens in it; I like the ones that have 1 eye and a long nose sticking out of their forheads, IIRC. But which ones are the Vogons?

Reply 11 of 24, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kelly Stiver wrote:

I like the ones that have 1 eye and a long nose sticking out of their forheads, IIRC. But which ones are the Vogons?

The long nose in their forehead things with 2 eyes.
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2005_The_Hitc … llpaper_005.jpg

Reply 13 of 24, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

Just clicked on the link - Is this game a free download (full, stand alone version)? If so, will I be allowed to back up all 10 episodes on a blank DVD? Do I have to be connected to the internet to play (I hope not)?

Reply 14 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kelly Stiver wrote:

If so, will I be allowed to back up all 10 episodes on a blank DVD? Do I have to be connected to the internet to play (I hope not)?

Ten episodes..? Are we reading the same thing?

The HHGG game is an Infocom text adventure, with added illustrations in this version. The original version fit on a low-density floppy disk with room to spare.

Reply 16 of 24, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

you play it in your browser

Oh, well, I saw this site where Hitchhiker's guide is offered as a download, and It's from an abandonware site. I haven't downloaded it yet, because it could have malware attached to it. Here's the link to the site: http://LINK-DELETED-BY-MINIMAX

Is it Ok to download this game?