VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
djp wrote:

Wow! You've been here since 2007 and haven't picked up on the VOGONS abandonware policy?

What is the VOGONS abandonware policy? Could you please spell it out in case I don't understand it?

er, I've searched on this site for the abandonware policy, but I cannot seem to find it - if abandonware is so bad, could you please tell me why it is so bad - (I'm in the process of learing something new every day)?

Reply 21 of 24, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It is sweet and short, and listed at the bottom of each page:

This site hosts no abandonware. There is no material that is knowingly illegal here.
zetafleet.dom will not be held responsible for users' posts.
This disclaimer is brought to you thanks to the BSA.

Besides the illegality of it all, many of those game-archives are copies of a game that has already been installed, and then all kinds of hell breaks loose if they run in DOSBox without the exact same (virtual) paths - and we get posts after posts about save-games not working, sound not working, mysterious crashes etc etc. And all gets blamed on DOSBox. Frankly, I don't see the point in spending 3 hours helping a newbie with an IQ the size his shoe getting an illegal download to work, when s/he often can buy a legal copy of eBay or somesuch for a few Euro's.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 22 of 24, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Besides the illegality of it all, many of those game-archives are copies of a game that has already been installed, and then all kinds of hell breaks loose if they run in DOSBox without the exact same (virtual) paths - and we get posts after posts about save-games not working, sound not working, mysterious crashes etc etc. And all gets blamed on DOSBox. Frankly, I don't see the point in spending 3 hours helping a newbie with an IQ the size his shoe getting an illegal download to work, when s/he often can buy a legal copy of eBay or somesuch for a few Euro's.

Oh, well...I guess I'm better off with the movie version that I have, plus I can play the legal version of this game in my browser after I get my macbook pro in 2 weeks - thanks for the explaination; I'm learning something new every day.

P.S. I do hope you're not thinking I'm a retard for asking about that abandonware HHGG -are you?

PPS: I posted this question about d/l this game from the abandonware site on another forum, and someone there told me that it [the game d/l from the abandonware site] is a text adventure - this turns me off right away; I don't like typing stuff into the game's interface just to play it, I like the GUI type games, and this is the only type of games I play.

Reply 23 of 24, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Kelly Stiver wrote:

P.S. I do hope you're not thinking I'm a retard for asking about that abandonware HHGG -are you?

No. If I thought you were retarded I wouldn't have bothered answering your question.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions