VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/05/the_secret_ … y_island_co.php

If this happens I'm totally getting a 360 next chance I get! I wonder what the 'special' means in 'special edition.' I hope it's simply additions and features and not drastic changes. I'd welcome voice acting or high quality graphics even as long as the game stayed exactly the same.

Yes, it's been an awfully long time, but it appears that The Secret Of Monkey Island is coming back, and to the Xbox 360.

The German USK rating board has revealed that The Secret Of Monkey Island - Special Edition is on its way. This was the very original Monkey Island game, from all the way back in 1990. As for what makes it a Special Edition is currently unknown -- could they be re-doing the graphics? Could the game possibly have a voice cast?

The rating suggests that Activision might have some involvement in the project, but most likely this is simply Activision Europe rating the title for LucasArts, as they are the European publishing arm that LucasArts use. We can only assume this is an Xbox Live Arcade title, but there is a slim chance that this is a retail retelling of the original too.

Last edited by MusicallyInspired on 2009-06-01, 18:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 2 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It also makes you wonder why they haven't re-released it on PC especially with the the services of GOG\Steam and ScummVM.

Screw the 360, support your PC users!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 31, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No mention of XBOX here (only PC and PS2 and those entries are old):

http://www.usk.de/cont3.php?s=search&title=Monkey%20Island

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the 360 is a very nice system, and has MANY good remakes/retro gamer via Live! Arcade...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think they might alter the graphics using some filters, (which scummvm can already do, and that too using many types of filters), but nothing significant.

Monkey Island 1 and 2 are two of the classic Lucasarts/Lucasfilm Games' titles which never had the luxury of providing voice to the good ol' Guybrush. They made Indy talk in the Fate of Atlantis. Heck, even Tentacles started talking! But not Guybrush. ( At least until the "Curse", that is.)

Maybe Lucasarts avoided the voice acting to prevent the hardcore MI followers from getting a wrong impression or stain the original experience.

And I seriously doubt that 360 will have a talking Guybrush.
You'll still miss moving the cursor with the mouse.

And what they did to Guybrush in Curse of Monkey Island, totally disrupts my liking towards this series. He became so wimpy in appearance (and vocally), when compared to the Guybrush in LeChuck's Revenge, who looks so matured, with beard and a real Piratey Coat! Then again it might just be a personal preference, but I still hate the so-abrupt-premature ending in Curse.

For me MI 1 & 2 are my only all time favourites in the series.

(I even have SOMI and Le Chuck's Revenge in my PSP!!)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 31, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:
I think they might alter the graphics using some filters, (which scummvm can already do, and that too using many types of filter […]
Show full quote

I think they might alter the graphics using some filters, (which scummvm can already do, and that too using many types of filters), but nothing significant.

Monkey Island 1 and 2 are two of the classic Lucasarts/Lucasfilm Games' titles which never had the luxury of providing voice to the good ol' Guybrush. They made Indy talk in the Fate of Atlantis. Heck, even Tentacles started talking! But not Guybrush. ( At least until the "Curse", that is.)

Maybe Lucasarts avoided the voice acting to prevent the hardcore MI followers from getting a wrong impression or stain the original experience.

And I seriously doubt that 360 will have a talking Guybrush.
You'll still miss moving the cursor with the mouse.

And what they did to Guybrush in Curse of Monkey Island, totally disrupts my liking towards this series. He became so wimpy in appearance (and vocally), when compared to the Guybrush in LeChuck's Revenge, who looks so matured, with beard and a real Piratey Coat! Then again it might just be a personal preference, but I still hate the so-abrupt-premature ending in Curse.

For me MI 1 & 2 are my only all time favourites in the series.

(I even have SOMI and Le Chuck's Revenge in my PSP!!)

I really like the voice actor who plays Guybrush in COMI and EFMI, Dominic Armato, I'm sure he would be willing to work again.

Reply 7 of 31, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

COMI was a great game with great voices and a great aesthetic style. Guybrush's in particular was one of the best.

My Github

Reply 8 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What, Lucasarts is acknowledging that they once made adventure games? Truly, we live in The Future.

I wish I could remember where I put my Monkey Island 1+2 CD; I never did play MI2.

Reply 9 of 31, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You poor soul.

My Github

Reply 10 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

I wish I could remember where I put my Monkey Island 1+2 CD; I never did play MI2.

WHAT!!!!!! 😳 😳 Aaaaaargghhhhh...my heart aches!!!! 😜

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 11 of 31, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like SOMI Special Edition is getting revamped after all! Voice actors from Curse of Monkey Island, remastered soundtrack, enhanced HD 2D graphics, and even some "deleted scenes" like the close-up shot of Spiffy the dog that never made it into the original. You can switch between the HD graphics and remastered soundtrack and the original graphics with the CD-audio soundtrack from the original PC version at any time during gameplay. I'm very impressed with LucasArts on this move. They really look like they've taken great care and pride in the development of this game all the while keeping the original idea intact without altering too much. It even has Ron Gilbert's blessings. The producer even said that if the fans want it they might re-release other older adventures as well!

960369_20090601_embed003.jpg

Some videos:

First Look and Interview

Opening Custscene

Also, Tell Tale Games is now creating a series of Monkey Island games entitled Tales of Monkey Island in collaboration with LucasArts! This, too, has Ron's blessing and the original voice cast from Curse of Monkey Island as well as Michael Land, original composer for Secret of Monkey Island.

talesofmi_mightypirate.jpg

The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition will be released on XBox LiveArcade and PC (digital download). Tales of Monkey Island will be released on PC (not sure if it's digital download only or not) and WiiWare. I'm getting BOTH.

Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition Website

Tales of Monkey Island Website

My Github

Reply 15 of 31, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Looks like they didn't bother to make new animation frames. Oh well; a promising and long-overdue development nonetheless.

The hi-res Guybrush is gliding when he walks. And where did he get that haircut?

Otherwise, it looks kickass!

Reply 16 of 31, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's because the remake is built right on top of the original Scumm code. It's basically just replaced graphics and sound/music on top of the original game (hence the ability to switch between classic and remake version at will). HD graphics on top of game code that was made for a 320x200 resolution game isn't going to look perfect.

My Github

Reply 17 of 31, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They most probably ported MI1 to a modern version of SCUMM rather than the opposite. It makes more sense from a coding point of view. It was technically possible to add animation frames, by animating the hi-res version at an integer multiplier of the low-res one, for example.

Reply 18 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kotaku has some comparison screenshots: http://kotaku.com/5274117/the-secret-of-monke … ictures/gallery

I don't like the stylized cartoony art used in the new closeups when compared to the original.

Reply 19 of 31, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am also not fond of the stylized cartoony style either. Since when the latest rehash of SF2 came out (sf2 hd remix ? wtf man ???), the graphics were fugly beyond words. Why can´t they try HARD to draw the original game in the same way as the original graphics , or raytrace the old graphics instead ? that is one of those things that irks me a lot . When it comes to rehashing things. But no no it is the usual always fucking up a good thing.