VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 31, by laffer35

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I don't like the new closeups at all. They look cheap, and Guybrush is terribly ugly.

I'm going to play through all the previous games now, leading up to the release of these new ones... I think I might even play MI4 again 🙄

Dug them all up from my collection here -

mistuff.jpg

Reply 21 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
laffer35 wrote:

Blah, keyboard controls 😠

I agree! That keyboard controls made me (want to) hate the EFMI gameplay. If not for the Monkey Island franchise, I wouldn't have played it. The keyboard-joystick/joypad-friendly interface is not for adventure gaming. (Though I did play with the Joypad).

And WOW! I see another Lucasfilm Games/Lucasarts fan here! laffer35, you ROCK! 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 22 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

Kotaku has some comparison screenshots: http://kotaku.com/5274117/the-secret-of-monke … ictures/gallery

I don't like the stylized cartoony art used in the new closeups when compared to the original.

Yep! They are destroying the Monkey Island experience rather than polishing on the original glory of SOMI. Just look at Elaine Marley in the true VGA 320x200 glory! I still adore that face, even though it's pixelated. Shows the true skill of the Lucasarts' artists!
Would anyone fall for the rehashed Elaine?

Attachments

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 23 of 31, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Come on guys it's not that bad. I swear, it's the old-school fans who ultimately kill any chances of the adventure genre from returning just because they want everything their own way. The only way adventures can make a comeback is if they appeal to the current market. These graphics look good. And fun. And appealing. It'll never ever be like it used to be, but we can still have the genre again.

Besides you can play it in classic mode if you don't like it, which shows how much they want to preserve the original experience!

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 24 of 31, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What really makes me IRK bigtime is the new musical sound, sorry for being a purist. But what I have heard from the new soundtrack. It gives me the shivers, but I can live with the cartoony graphics in comparison. But thank goodness for they have the classic mode. But couldn't they not just use the CD soundtrack from the CD version of the game ?

Reply 25 of 31, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One good thing is that they recorded quite a few instruments live instead of being entirely MIDI synth from the CD-ROM audio tracks. In that light I see it as an enhancement. But the original soundtrack is always there as has been said.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 26 of 31, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

George Lucas has started raping Guybrush and Elaine too, right after raping Indiana and Star-wars franchise. Unfortunately, I also rather like the old face better. Just make the resolution higher and thats it - everything else need not be changed... ;-/

Reply 31 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:

George Lucas has started raping Guybrush and Elaine too, right after raping Indiana and Star-wars franchise. Unfortunately, I also rather like the old face better. Just make the resolution higher and thats it - everything else need not be changed... ;-/

Apparently it's new upper management at LucasArts rather than Lucas himself that are resurrecting their old games: http://kotaku.com/5308707/lucasarts-hopes-to- … adventure-games

They've decided that their old games might make good downloadable content, which is at least an improvement over the previous management's stance that the adventure games market was dead, period.