VOGONS

Common searches

Underrated flight sim: STORMOVIK: Su-25 Soviet Attack Fighter

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wondering if any of you VOGON'ers have tried this old (1990) flight sim, and what are your thoughts?

It's probably my favorite vintage flight sim...and, it runs on practically everything, from a 286/8mhz up to a Pentium 133.

Optimally, a 12mhz or faster processor will be smoothest -- and if you try it on a Pentium 133, you will need to press the "T" (time compression) key in order to take off the runway. I learned this last trick a few years ago (through experimentation), and it's necessary when running the game on a Pentium or else you'll remain grounded instead of taking off...plowing through the grassy fields around the airport!

There's an easy-to-download demo of the game available on the internet, and here if you want to try it: ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tandy1000/games/su25.zip

Reply 3 of 11, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought the game a long time ago but it didn't come with a manual... it starts by asking you to translate something in russian.. so I was never able to play it.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 4 of 11, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try the demo that I linked to. Or, you can figure out a lot of the words from the full version's copy protection by looking at a Russian-to-English alphabet key, like the one at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_alphabet

Many of the phrases/words that the game's copy protection asks for, can be translated by substituting a few of the English-equivalent letters instead of the Russian characters. (of course, if you use the demo, there isn't *any* copy protection).

Reply 5 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The keyboard handling of the aircraft is kinda unusual to say the least...
I see it is an Electronic Arts game, and it reminds me of their chuck yeager game. A bit more polygons in SU-25.

These days it would be insane to expect EA to do flightsims, let alone with a Soviet craft as the subject. As their 'Simulation' section is devoted only to... The Sims.

Reply 6 of 11, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All this talk is giving me in itch to check it out.. I know I still have my 3.5" disk somewhere. Can you guys tell me if it can handle modern hardware(I have an upper-midrange Athlon XP).. or if I should whip out some Dosbox ?

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 7 of 11, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anything faster than a Pentium 133 (well...you might squeak by with up to a Pentium 200) and you won't be able to take off. Even on the P133 and slower Pentiums, you must press the "T" key when you are ready to take off, or else you will stay on the ground. After you take off, you will need to press the "T" key again, to slow your time compression back to normal for normal flight.

As for the controls, playing with a keyboard is a little rough to get used to. The game *does* offer mouse-flight control as an option, both in normal and hi-res mouse speeds.

But for maximum enjoyment, I really like to play with an old Gravis Firebird II programmable joystick. I have THE BEST configuration file for this game, that I load into my FBII joystick. It lets me look to the left, right, back, etc, with single clicks of the hat-switch, along with getting several away-from-the-plane views to help with targeting (or just for the "coolness" factor -- for example, looking at *your* plane from your targeted enemy's viewpoint!!).

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 8 of 11, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can run the game in DOSBOX of course, if you don't have a Pentium 133 or slower.

The Demo is a great, hassle-free way to try the game -- it has full functionality, no copy protection, and a comprehensive "readme" file telling you how to fly (and land) your Stormovik!

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 9 of 11, by Picard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
it's a long time since your last posts.
Does somebody have good advice for the best way of flight control in Su25?
I'm playing with the current version of DOSBox and tried joystick and mouse control (normal as well as "hi-res"). But I'm not really able to control the plane with slow, careful maneuvers. It overacts and stalls always.

OK, according to some reviews from the 90s, Stormovik was notoriously oversensitive to fly.
But somehow this should be solvable, isn't it?

Bye.

Reply 11 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This post was closed since the newest poster was asking for helping with the game. The op of this thread (that was created in 2009) wanted thoughts about the game itself, not the issue the latest poster posted.

People with issues should post new threads titled for that issue with information in that thread that only contains the information related to fixing that issue as much as possible and posted in the correct forum.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline