VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On ebay uk/us, if you win something, 99 times out of 100 you can pay for it using paypal, and that simply means clicking on the "pay now" button. On ebay.de, I've won half a dozen retro items, and none of these sellers accept paypal. I have no problem with that at all, cos paypal's a nuisance for some sellers. But how can I pay these guys if they won't tell me their bank details for bank transfer? I'm repeatedly sending emails to these sellers, requesting their bank details for my payment to them, and getting no replies. I've also repeatedly explained to them (in both German and English) that the winning items can be delivered to a German address, paid for by a German (I have a handy contact over there), who lives in Germany. Surely there's no problem here? (I'm from the UK.) Could the problem be that all of the items in question only sold for 1 euro, and the sellers can't be bothered to communicate with me? 😒

Yo, Germans! 😀 How does your ebay work? When you win something, do you have to wait for the seller to email their bank details to you? Or do you get an automated email from ebay sent to you, with all the necessary details included? Vielen Dank für alle Informationen, Freunde.

Reply 1 of 8, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

We have a button we can click on after winning the auction to get the bank details if the seller made them availible. Iirc you can also change your address details there.

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

if the German sellers don't react, use the ebay buyer protection or so to make ebay make the seller react.
Though there is some loophole if the buyer wants to use a middleman and not have the item shipped to himself.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 8, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had the same problems wiith some german sellers too, mostly for jumping straight to buying or bidding a high amount after seeing the item, without seeing the accepted payment methods. One out of two will agree to receive via paypal if contacted. But still, 80% of the german sellers I've dealt with don't accept paypal by default.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The good news is that I've heard from all of the German ebay sellers! 😀 The funny news is that some of them seem to be using "google translate" to send me their responses. Check this one out -

hallo,

nobody problem she sends me nachricht whom transfer could effect.

<end of message>

🤣

Reply 5 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is too poor even for google translate. : ) Surprisingly one can still understand what he means.

I usually try to talk/write german to Germans unless they indicate that english is OK. It is not always easy, but I am learning in the process, and the contact is always very friendly. Fortunately German language is somewhat similar to Dutch.

Reply 6 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What I do is write out my message in English, then copy and paste it in to Google Translate, asking it to translate my message in to German. I then copy and paste this German translation in to a second Google Translate browser page, asking it to translate the German back in to English. If this German to English translation makes sense to me, I send the German message to the seller, and feel that I've got half a chance of not sounding like a lunatic.

Reply 7 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is a clever way to check the translation.

Lately I also used google translate a bit for english to german, but the output is dissappointing. This translator gives me sentences that make no sence at all. High risk of sounding like a lunatic!

I just compared some online translators, from this website: Machine translators. Just did a single translation of your last post, and this is my humble rating of the resulting german text (Do note that an actual german would be more qualified to judge this).

Yahoo Babel Fish - poor
Google Translate - worst
InterTran Services - poor
Free Translation - ok

Reply 8 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While I was on the phone to the mothership, their engineering department told me that some vital components are required to keep the engine running. Scanners indicate that these important parts are located on German ebay! However, attempts at using Google Lunatic have failed to convince the sellers to despatch their merchandise to us. So, what is needed is a willing native to redirect this stuff to us. Naturally, you will receive a cash reward for your efforts, and when we eventually invade planet Earth (having a spot of bother with our landing gear ATM), you will be spared the full wrath of our 256-bit SonicBlasters! 😳 😵 Incidentally, our previous handy contact in Germany had to be atomised due to poor performance. 😈

Don't delay, PM Retro Games today! 😀