VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35882

bet you thought that Goodbye meant there will be no more updates ever? That was a Goodbye from the development team. […]
Show full quote

bet you thought that Goodbye meant there will be no more updates ever? That was a Goodbye from the development team.

Anyway, I'm here to report on an update I have posted to the 3D Realms online store. As some of you may have noticed, 3D Realms ceased shipping physical product right around the time we posted the Goodbye story. We went to downloads only, and we're here to report that this will remain the same. 3D Realms will no longer ship physical product of any kind. We are however, continuing to make available our older titles via registered download.

Available now in the online store is our new product line of registered downloads. This is a complete overhaul, too. It's not just the same files we had in our old store in a new store. All of them have been redone with a new installer, and most importantly a new DOSBox wrapper. Our previous downloads were the original DOS games, which for a lot of people who weren't familiar with the original DOS commands was a difficult thing. DOSBox gets around that, and all of the old games have this included, so you will be able to run them from Windows quite easily. The new installers will install the game through Windows (even works in Vista), and you can click on them with icons, and all that good stuff. This was no easy task to rebuild the entire product line like that. A major thanks goes out to former 3DR staffer Joe Siegler for doing all of this on his final two days at 3DR. Also, a big thanks goes to Peter Veenstra from the DOSBox crew for helping out in testing the builds. There's no way this could have come together so quickly without these two guys.

But that's not all! In addition to all the games we previously had in our online store, we've also made some available that we never sold as registered downloads before - or just haven't sold in awhile. New additions to the 3D Realms online store include Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Terminal Velocity, Death Rally, & Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project! Also available again after a rather long wait is Balls of Steel! You can buy all of these, plus all the previously available titles by visiting our online store by visiting http://www.buy3drealms.com.

And if that wasn't enough, don't forget that we have released several of our legacy titles in the past via freeware. Check out our list of freeware releases here.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah pretty sad. I expect them to be of the same person though. Probably some troll

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And Keen is still twice as much as what they're charging for it on Steam. Tsk tsk.

At least their other prices are more in line with what GOG.com is charging. Perhaps I will finally buy Death Rally now.

Reply 4 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem is with the store is that it's full of old [classic] stuff and the market for such on a PC is pretty slim. Advertising a new DOSBox wrapper is hardly a must have although it'll help out some people I'm sure.

I'm a box lover and a [looks no better than if I'd have pirated the game] digital download disliker so unless it was a new [download only] title I will not be using it. Good luck to them anyways.

Reply 5 of 8, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

wow the comments in that thread....i wonder if they've completed grade school

Expecting an ex-3D realms employee like Joe Siegler to fix a product is pretty dumb. But the one poster did say he was sorry and was directing his comments to 3D Realms itself. And what is wrong in wanting 3D Realms to sell a complete copy of Shadow Warrior? It's pretty sad that you can find an illegal copy on the internet that has full audio, yet the publisher can't/won't provide a complete version to sell.

Reply 6 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd like to see 3DR redo their shareware versions with the same ease found in their store. It'll encourage more sales that's for sure.

olemogamer wrote:

yet the publisher can't/won't provide a complete version to sell.

Yeah well, Steam doesn't give you Quake/Quake2 cd tracks, either. I guess that means id software is the dumbest company in the world, but they didn't make DNF, so they're exempt from that and then 3D Realms is the dumbest in the world. 🙄

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The CD audio might be added later. It was impossible to do in the short time period the installers were created

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 8, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I'd like to see 3DR redo their shareware versions with the same ease found in their store. It'll encourage more sales that's for sure.

olemogamer wrote:

yet the publisher can't/won't provide a complete version to sell.

Yeah well, Steam doesn't give you Quake/Quake2 cd tracks, either. I guess that means id software is the dumbest company in the world, but they didn't make DNF, so they're exempt from that and then 3D Realms is the dumbest in the world. 🙄

Good job translating what i said. 😒
I didn't call anyone dumb. Although anyone who takes over a decade to create a game and still not have a finished product certainly ranks up there. 😉

I just find it amazing that private individuals can post complete versions of games on the net while the original creators can't. 😳