VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ran across this article:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/994/994628p1.html

I agree with preserving old games. One time I read about the early days of movies, that, because filmmakers back then didnt care about saving what they were making, most movies from the first 2-3 decades of movies are gone, simply lost. A similar case might be with older era games. Most of those games' source code is just gone, deleted, the media that contained it got destroyed, whatever. The same with the early internet. Most of the websites, editorials, ftp servers, etc when they go down, their content is just gone. Sad, since games and the internet are about as significant to culture as those old movies were.

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All they have to do is require the publishers to submit all development material and gold masters to whoever is going to preserve the data. It's already been shown that most publishers and developers don't give a crap (Which is why I have backups upon backups along with cracks for my games).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I think last year librarians lobbied for a modification, or an exception to copyright law to allow them to store old works without expressed copyright and/or authorization from the original owner, or something close to that. Problem is, most publishers apparently cannot be arsed to reply an email suggesting they do release them *cough*Infogrames/atari*cough*, much less actually doing so. What you say is mentioned too in the article, that mostly it's the enthusiasts the ones who are preserving old games for the future, but it's not a centralized, big effort, with adecuate financial budgets. So much money is wasted in preserving old tools from the bronze era, why not games?

Reply 3 of 3, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
temptingthelure wrote:

So much money is wasted in preserving old tools from the bronze era, why not games?

Preservation of games here, in particular, the computer games, is very much a concentrated, specific-enthusiasts band of a spectrum related issue. Unlike other form of arts, where objects qualifying the preservation of themselves, like the lost city of the Incas and Aztechs, or the Egyptian hieroglyphic slabs, where general cusiosity and interests bloom at each generation in succession, computer games have a different set of admirers.

Most of the games or even the hardwares used for those games and the main points of discussion in this forum are all about DOS based games and machines on which the DOS based games are run.

These games and their reign in the PC world had a limited time period. And those of us who grew up with DOS and it's games are really the preservers and would like to see these games preserved, mostly due to nostalgic memories. Yes, the Windows based games are also there, deeming a classic status, but generally it's the DOS games that we're after.

Newcomers and new kids growing up now will have a hard time appreciating the charms of Ultimas and will not be interested in the Secret of Monkey Island or even what was Le Chuck's revenge thereafter, for instance. The so called "out-dated" graphics will put off potential new comers. For them, games should be like Crysis. This is in contrast to ,say, the appreciation of a sculpture of Plato. A DOS-gamer might be interested in the Angkor Wat but hardly the other way round.

Coming back to the preservation, digital is the only way to preserve them. It's upon the will of the preservers to save them. ( The owners of the games.)

While companies will NOT re-publish the classic games, in full original box with -inserts-pamphlets-additional goodies and so on, but will whine and shout about copyrights and so called rubbish, which will neither make them bankrupt nor profit them, and while some individual discussion groups will fight to death regarding maintaining the copyrights, and discussing about the copyright-bills, anti piracy and the laws and clauses of the law, even though it will neither bring about good or bad to the said groups, (heck, some will bravely defend copyrights, but when alone, they themselves will use pirated softwares or even the abandonwares, believe me! - Empty cans rattle the most) finally, it's the true abandonware sites that will have the final preservation. It's with them the classic forgotten games will be found. Like it or not. (And they don't do that for money.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers