VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's running again! Please drop in and help me test it ...

For those of you who are new, it is a new Telnet BBS that I am writing running on an IBM PCjr. I have written all of the TCP/IP code and the BBS code from scratch. The only thing I didn't write was the packet driver for the Ethernet adapter and the version of DOS it is running.

The IP address is 96.42.239.42 . That goes to my cable modem - the router port forwards telnet traffic directly to the PCjr. Pretty much any telnet client will do including the one built into Windows. (This URL should fire it up for you: telnet://96.42.239.42/ )

Since the last round of testing I have added the following:

• A forum area with threads
  • A private message area
  • Bulletins (read only files that are longer in length)
  • Basic user profile editing functions
  • Better telnet protocol support with performance improvements

It is a pretty big set of changes. I am hoping there are no bugs, but having a few people on at the same time will help flush them out and give me an idea on if the machine is capable of servicing multiple users doing real BBS functions. (My previous tests were pretty limited.) The machine is setup to handle 6 online users at the same time.

I am also looking for feedback on the user interface .. if it is not usable, then there isn't much point. I am limited with what I can do given the hardware, but let me know what you think would be neat and I'll add it to the todo list. (ANSI graphics isn't there, but I know how to get it done.)

I will leave the machine running for about a week. If it falls over before then I will fix the bug and restart it as quickly as I can. If it makes it a week with no serious problems I'll be pretty happy.

Thanks,
Mike

Reply 2 of 3, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Putty is good - if I'm not on a Linux machine that is what I use.

The BBS seems to be holding up. It hasn't had a significant amount of testing, but still we've had 3 people on at the same time and nobody could detect anything running slowly. Over 59000 TCP/IP packets have come in in the last day and a half and 70000+ went out, so I think the TCP/IP code is good.

I use DosBOX quite a bit when I don't want to fire up the old hardware. But sometimes it's nice (or needed) to do it on the real thing.

Reply 3 of 3, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah i installed putty same crap same connection as the stock tenlet i already weeded out the firewall by making exceptions for plain telnet and yet putty wich i didn't do this for could go to the same BBSs as plain telnet I did get a BBs up but just 1, most of the regulars i visit even using other PCs won't connect mainly bbs.convolution.us and bbs.hak5.org