VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Anti-piracy add from the early 90's. Too horrible to waste the whole nine minutes of one's life, though 😀
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xfqkdh5Js4

Reply 1 of 12, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember seeing that years ago... though it was a few years after it came out. IIRC, it made its rotation through my friends circle on a Zip disk, mixed in amongst the other Zip disks full of copied software. 🤣

Have you heard about the sequel to it? Slashdot link.

The original was at least good-natured, but the new one apparently takes the "copying a game makes you an evil criminal terrorist murderer" approach that seems so prevalent nowadays. *Sigh*

Reply 3 of 12, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wow.. just... wow

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 4 of 12, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't believe i watched the whole video 😳 it is so bad it makes me cringe!! Anyway anyone who has ever owned an Amiga or Atari would have had tons of copies! Those were the golden years for crackers 😀

Reply 7 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

I've seen a few game manuals where they strongly recommended making a copy of the disk.

You used to be able to do things like that (in fact it was sometimes encouraged since games would write to the disk) until software companies switched to selling you a license to use a copy of their software instead of selling you the physical copy. In other words, according to the game software companies' lawyers you don't own any of the CD-ROMs/DVD-ROMs that your games come on, but rather you are merely borrowing them along with a license (permission) to use the software contained on them.

Reply 8 of 12, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

I've seen a few game manuals where they strongly recommended making a copy of the disk.

You used to be able to do things like that (in fact it was sometimes encouraged since games would write to the disk) until software companies switched to selling you a license to use a copy of their software instead of selling you the physical copy. In other words, according to the game software companies' lawyers you don't own any of the CD-ROMs/DVD-ROMs that your games come on, but rather you are merely borrowing them along with a license (permission) to use the software contained on them.

And that's basically microsoft's entire business model, and the way they made millions.

btw, anyone seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg
😀

Reply 9 of 12, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow those compression ratios are crazy to fit a 9 minute video on 1 floppy. 😳 😳 😳

Hmm, watching that video was hard work time to download 15 torrents and start smoking.

177_bender-smoking_0800.jpg

Reply 10 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

Anti-piracy add from the early 90's. Too horrible to waste the whole nine minutes of one's life, though 😀
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xfqkdh5Js4

After nearly 2 weeks, I still have nightmares of that guy dancing and singing around. Aaaarrghhh!!!! 🤣

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 11 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

IRONY:

This video-clip is no longer available due to a DMCA take-down notice from Software & Information Industry Association.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

he he

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper