VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gravitone

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've recently built a nice little retro system based around a k6-3+, aladdin V based motherboard (gigabyte GA-5AX rev. 4.1). After installing windows 98 SE, and the necessary directx updates, my geforce2 Ultra does not seem to want to cooperate when it comes to direct3d. I obviously installed the last AGP GART driver, but every direct3d application just drops back to the desktop. Is the card dead?, can't the board provide enough power for such a card to begin with? or have other people been running a similar setup without problems? I'd just like some of your thoughts before I dive into a long painstaking troubleshooting session.

Reply 1 of 5, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Answered in the other thread, but basically, Nvidia cards don't play nice with the old ALi chipsets. There's not much you can do about that. Sometimes they can be made to work, but it's generally a lot easier to just swap it out for a different card that's known to work better with those boards. 3DFX, ATi, etc.

Reply 2 of 5, by gravitone

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thnks. I'll mess around with this system a bit first. Im not one to give up easily. 😁 Rivatuner might be able to provide some assistance. But I'll go for a clean format first anyways.

Reply 4 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't forget motherboard chipset drivers if you haven't installed them yet.

Edit: Nevermind, I see in the other thread that you already have those. Cheers.

Reply 5 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
gravitone wrote:

(...) I have the geforce2 ulra purring like a kitten 😁

Hmmm. Could be caused by the imbalance of a fan.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions