VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it would be great to plug a projector in to a PC (retro or modern), and view a big image on a "white screen" while sitting in a comfy chair. Using a keyboard and mouse would be awkward, but not impossible.

I wonder how they compare to flat screen monitors. I mean, in terms of "ratio" - eg 4:3, 5:4, or widescreen. And also in terms of response times - eg 8ms, 16ms, etc.

Reply 1 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think 4:3 and 16:9 are probably most common. I haven't used one personally, but I had a friend who did - although he ended up using it more for TV and consoles than for PCs. They should work great for retro-gaming since you don't need hi resolution modes (the price goes way way up as you approach HDTV resolutions).

The latency is going to be higher in the more reasonably priced models since they're aiming at people who want to use them for static images like PowerPoint presentations, but I doubt it'll be anything too horrible if it's a newer projector.

For the keyboard/mouse I'd recommend getting a lapdesk like you would get for a laptop, but just use it as a surface for the keyboard and mouse. You could even go wireless if you don't play a lot of modern first-person shooters.

Reply 2 of 7, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The two main limitations I've seen with projectors are the relatively low resolutions in all but the highest-end ones, and the bulbs. The resolution wouldn't be that big a deal with an older system... 1024x768 seems to be about the norm for midrange projectors, and that's just fine for use with a Win9x gaming box. But it can be a bit limiting with modern stuff.

The bulbs are the most significant consideration, though... they only tend to last for maybe 2-3000 hours, and replacements usually cost almost as much as a new projector. That makes the things less than ideal for everyday use.

I can't really comment on response times or input latency, simply because I can't see it unless it's really bad. 50ms is close enough for me, on both points.

Reply 4 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Maybe wait until they make decent LED projectors.

I wonder if they will though. Makes me think about how consumer printers are all about selling replacement ink cartridges now.

Reply 5 of 7, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There actually already are some LED projectors, but they're only small palmtop-type devices with really low resolutions. I expect it will be awhile before there are any that will project a large screen at a decent resolution, but I'm sure someone will eventually come out with one, even if it doesn't take over as the standard.

Reply 6 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Maybe wait until they make decent LED projectors.

I wonder if they will though. Makes me think about how consumer printers are all about selling replacement ink cartridges now.

They can make a nice profit on replacement bulbs.

Reply 7 of 7, by DonFuego

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem I've had running old PC's (VGA), especially under DOS, on a projector is the awkward display timings and resolutions used by many games and applications. Modern projectors seem to have difficult handling these non-standard VGA modes. I don't know why TFT monitors seem to handle this better. The technology is the same.

I'm building the Ultimate 1994 Demo Scene Machine. Specs so far:

* i486DX2/66 * 32 Mb FPM 2-1-1-1/0 WS RAM * Cirrus Logic 5428 VLB 1 Mb (suggestions?)
* Maxtor uMAX II 6 Gb HDD * 3Com 3C509B * SB Pro 16 * GUS Max 1 Mb