VOGONS

Common searches

About the forums - Design flaw!

Topic actions

First post, by neiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When creating a user for the forum I was faced with not getting any activation email.
After a while I got impatient, so I tried to request a new password and was told my account was inactive and to contact the forum administrator. I thought, well I can log in and request a new activation code - no I can't.
Then I thought, well okay I'll bother the forum administrator.
The improbability drive is broken! There's no appearant way to find out who the forum administrator is - and the link at the bottom of the page links back to the zetafleet main page - which specifically sais not to bother it with vogons constructor fleet feedback.
I was lucky that a while later I actually got hte email and could activate my account. But what if I hadn't? There's not even a forum feedback thread on the forum or a form requesting for manual account creation help.

Might want to change that some time.

i7.bmp <-- doesn't work although profile settings indicate that bbcode is supported and active.

Reply 2 of 24, by neiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No I'm saying it's not the smartest thing to have an error message saying you should contact a particular person without providing means to identifying that person.

i7.bmp <-- doesn't work although profile settings indicate that bbcode is supported and active.

Reply 4 of 24, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Besides fixing your mail hoster's queuing system it indeed seems to be possible to figure out who's in charge without cluttering the board with email addresses that just lead to being spammed.

Reply 5 of 24, by neiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it may be possible, but I couldn't find any way - I was just lucky that I eventually got the mail before giving up.

Reply 6 of 24, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

Besides fixing your mail hoster's queuing system it indeed seems to be possible to figure out who's in charge without cluttering the board with email addresses that just lead to being spammed.

But you're a genius - maybe noone else in the entire universe could figure it out. I wasn't able to either in a couple minutes of poking around. The best thing I could come up with is poking around the Memberlist, but it doesn't show who's an administrator and I'm not sure if it's even accessible (let alone the email function) when not logged in.

Reply 8 of 24, by neiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The memberlist is not accessible without logging in.
If you don't get a mail, you're screwed. Simple's that.
I've got spam scanning before mail enters my private account, then it is forwarded to my company account where it has to pass thru anther spam scanning before it ends up in exchange - after which it's scanned again. It can take a while to arrive this way. And there's a good chance it'd be blocked if certain triggers are present.

Anyway, nobody seems to take responsibility for anything here. So nobody will fix the problem.

The normal problem with anything GNU licensed really - people care to make a product, but can't be bothered to make it accessible or useful unless it helps them. Guess that's just something one has to accept.

Free software is often the most expensive option.

Reply 9 of 24, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It can take a while to arrive this way. And there's a good chance it'd be blocked if certain triggers are present.

And you still say it's a problem of the forum? Especially in your case the admin
would have gotten some useless mails, needed to check what's going on etc.
just because there's a delay on your end.

Free software is often the most expensive option.

Don't use it then.

Reply 12 of 24, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree with neiro that the forum is certainly deficient (if not broken) if it's telling people to "contact the administrator" without providing any apparent way for unregistered users to do so.

If it were me, though, I'd just bug Snover even though he has reportedly said not to (in fact I did just that a few months ago when I had to reset my password and the reset system got borked 😜). If Snover really doesn't like it then he can either blow the person off or fix the forum to actually direct people to someone specific.

Reply 15 of 24, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

If Snover really doesn't like it then he can either blow the person off or fix the forum to actually direct people to someone specific.

I can, and do, blow people off regularly. That is not a sexual euphemism.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 18 of 24, by neiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ye and the reason you get those mails is because people like wd knowlingly and intentionally avoid fixing the forums to work properly.