About the forums - Design flaw!

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 24, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the mailer daemon, if that is what you are referring to.

Nope, neiro said having an error message saying you should contact the forum admin without providing means to identifying that person is frustrating, and despite his abrasive attitude on this thread, I believe he's got a valid point.

On the other hand, displaying the administrators' email address naked on the page is asking for spam. Maybe we can use "non-explicit" address like this one?
administrator xyzzy zetafleet zyxxy com
Or such.

Or maybe a "Contact Us" form like this?
Anyway, yes, PT. Sinatrix Indonesia is mine. My company is not the one who built the site on the first place, though; we're only doing design changes and content maintenance. 😉

Snover wrote:

I can, and do, blow people off regularly.

😳 Oookay, too much information here.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

On the other hand, displaying the administrators' email address naked on the page is asking for spam. Maybe we can use "non-explicit" address like this one?
Or such.

I hope you don't believe that bots won't understand these kind of default variations when harvesting email addresses

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 23 of 24, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Or such.

I hope you don't believe that bots won't understand these kind of default variations when harvesting email addresses

No, of course not. It's just a "better than nothing" alternative. It's probably safer to show the admin email address in image format, or use a captcha-enhanced sendmail form.

Not sure if it's worth the trouble, though. Removing "contact the forum admin" part from the error message is probably an easier way to avoid confusion.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 24 of 24, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For spam filtering, just set up a gmail account with a filter to forward everything to your main address. It works extremely well (around 1 spam message/month, and my address is public (usenet posts, etc...)). The only false positive are forum confirmation emails 😁... But that's not relevant for a user contact address.