VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This has probably been answered, but I'd like to hear some fresh responses from people who own (or have heard) an "original" AdLib card used with a certain game, then compared the sound with, for example, a Soundblaster Pro's AdLib emulation.

Can anyone explain the sound differences, advantages/disadvantages between the two? Did the "original" sound better, and how?

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 1 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
digitaldoofus wrote:

This has probably been answered, but I'd like to hear some fresh responses from people who own (or have heard) an "original" AdLib card used with a certain game, then compared the sound with, for example, a Soundblaster Pro's AdLib emulation.

Can anyone explain the sound differences, advantages/disadvantages between the two? Did the "original" sound better, and how?

The Sound Blaster Pro does not "emulate" the Adlib, it contains the hardware of two Adlib cards and much more. Only the preamp and amp may be different.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 11, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, when I was posting I actually thought "emulate" probably wasn't the technically correct word due to same chips being used...but the essence of my question remains: was the sound noticeably different, and if so, in what way(s)?

Reply 3 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
digitaldoofus wrote:

was the sound noticeably different, and if so, in what way(s)?

Back in 1993, I remember a friend of mine still had an Adlib card in his computer (not Adlib Gold). Basically, there is no difference at all between its FM sound and that of my SBPro --none that I can discern, though.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

like Great Hierophant said before, because the preamp and amp may be different, it will have some slight difference in sound, but nothing special

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 11, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool. I just thought that some of the "noise" or "crackling" (or whatever) may have been filtered out better in either the original AdLib, or perhaps in the SBPro. Or, perhaps some other discernable nuance might have been present that made them sound a bit different. But "no discernable difference" is a good thing, in my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, and I'm happy to hear that our SBPros are providing "true" AdLib tunes and effects!

Reply 9 of 11, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've read two different opinions on OPL3 versus OPL2: some say OPL3 is an "improved" chip, while others say OPL2 gives truest game music as the composers intended.

Reply 10 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A few games have native support for OPL3, as well as the dual-OPL2 setup used in the SB Pro. Interplay's Lord of the Rings vol 2: The Two Towers is one game I remember having some nice stereo OPL music.