VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just curious, what did you first play HL1 on? When it was released in '98 I had a P166MMX but didn't even bother trying to run it (was a poor uni student with no money to buy a video card) 😢 So I first played it in 2000 on a PIII.

I'm now going to replay this game on my resurrected P233MMX and Voodoo2- for a period authentic feel - after 12 years.

Reply 1 of 37, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had just recently purchased my first computer that was *mine* and not a "family" computer, using money that I earned from my first job (running a computer lab at a community college I was attending). It was a PII-450 with an nVidia TNT1 AGP video card and a SB PCI128. Ran HL1 like a champ, even in 32-bit color I think. I spent a ton of time playing HL1 deathmatch, then Team Fortress: Classic once that came out, then Counter-Strike when that came out, then Day of Defeat when that came out.

Unreal 1 was pretty new when I first got the computer (before HL1 was released). It didn't run so well because Epic was still struggling to get the game working well with Direct3D instead of just Glide. I also played Baldur's Gate a lot on that computer early on.

Reply 2 of 37, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played it the first time in early 2000 on a crappy Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo PIII 667mhz, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, 20gig HDD and a slooow ATI Expert 2000 AGP gfx card 😜 later upgraded to an Asus Geforce 2MX
Played alot of CS clan matches back then also...

btw. I'm getting back this PC from my grandmother who inherited it in 2001 from me 😀

Last edited by Amigaz on 2010-04-14, 15:05. Edited 1 time in total.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 37, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98, Asus P2B vanilla, 128MB RAM, PII-350, AWE64 sound and a 16MB TNT video card. My story is pretty much the same as you HunterZ, including what you said about Unreal. IIRC in the end they finally came up with a patch that made it run okay in D3D on the TNT.

Later I upgraded to PIII-600 coppermine via slotket adapter, a Geforce 256 and an SB Live. I had a good run with the P2B board.

Last edited by Sune Salminen on 2010-04-17, 22:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 37, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I later upgraded my system over time to a PII-550, Geforce 2 MX, SB Live X-Gamer (and from Win98 to Win2K and then back to Win98 when I gave the computer to my mom). The motherboard was a Gigabyte one that is listed in nVidia's driver release notes to this day as having a bad AGP voltage regulator; I think mine might have been a newer revision without the issue, but I bypassed it with a wire and a soldering iron just to be sure 😀

Now it lives under a desk in my computer area. Was last booted a few months ago to copy all 3 of its hard drives' contents onto 1 DVD 🤣.

Reply 5 of 37, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At the time i had a Dell Optiplex with a PII 350mhz CPU, 128mb RAM, SB 128 audio and a Creative 16mb Voodoo Banshee (PCI). I think i was running Windows 95 at the time and Half Life ran perfectly 😀

Reply 7 of 37, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far looks like everyone played this on a P2/3. Anyone try playing it on the official recommended specs, i.e. a 166mmx with some sorta vid card?

I remember being perfectly happy with my mmx machine, which I bought in early '97, till this and NFS III came along. Then I couldn't wait to get a PIII- waited what seemed like ages for that to drop to reasonable prices. good times...

Reply 8 of 37, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

K63-400
Soyo SY5EMA
Nvidia TNT1
Audigy soundcard I think

Windows 98/NT4

I was in Basic Training December of 98. While in Basic I ordered the parts and they arrived at my parent's house the day I got back.
Put all the pieces together and verified it worked with Redhat 6? I think and then had it mailed to me in the UK

Got around to playing it when I received my computer a couple of weeks later.

My computer before that was a 486DX4/100 and I of course couldn't play the beta of HL I downloaded. 🙁

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-03-28, 02:29. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 37, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played the demo on
- TX97-E
- K6-233
- Trident TGUI9440 software rendering
It was horrible.

But shortly afterwards I upgraded to a K6-III 400MHz and Voodoo Banshee. Cheap parts, which improved the game a lot! 😉

Reply 12 of 37, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5u3 wrote:

But shortly afterwards I upgraded to a K6-III 400MHz and Voodoo Banshee. Cheap parts, which improved the game a lot! 😉

Sounds like the computer I helped my brother pick out parts for: K6-2 380MHz with AGP Voodoo Banshee. That's the computer that taught me to hate VIA.

Reply 13 of 37, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pentium 200 (non-MMX) with 64 Mb and Voodoo Graphics (1, not 2). It was playable until more than one enemy appeared on screen, then framerate went below 10 FPS, and typical sound stuttering of Quake engines could be heard.

Reply 14 of 37, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Celeron-300 (without L2) and a crappy SIS 6326 4MB videocard. I played it in software mode and didn't know about OpenGL until I tried it with Half-Life. then the videocard died soon after, it overheated or something.
Later I even installed it on a Pentium-90 with a S3-Virge, to test LAN play, it was sometimes playable at really really minimal settings. well that is the way it was.

Later I put a TNT2-M64 in the Celeron. I briefly tried a Riva-128 in the Pentium-90, but it did not render Half-Life properly.

Last edited by gerwin on 2010-04-14, 23:13. Edited 1 time in total.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 15 of 37, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't remember. I was drunk back then, as I am now.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 16 of 37, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm thinking:
Pentium MMX 166 @ 200
Iwill XA100 motherboard
Voodoo 2 + S3 Virge
64mb SDRAM

Performance was too poor for me to enjoy, I waited to play till I got a Celeron 300A @ 450 and a Voodoo 3 3000. And then I still never finished it. HL2 on the other has was awesome.

Reply 17 of 37, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still have not played HL1 even though I own the Anthology and Orange Box. I HAVE played Portal though..... that game rawked!!!

So I guess I'll play HL1 on a Q6600 quad core 2.40ghz Intel w/ a Nvidia GTX260? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ?

There are only so many times you can play a FPS before you get bored 🙁 My golden days are Wolf3d/Doom/Quake, ie early to mid 1990s.

Reply 18 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

P2 233, 96MB RAM, 3dfx Voodoo2 12mb, SB AWE32. November 1998, a bit spoiled at the time :}

batracio wrote:

Pentium 200 (non-MMX) with 64 Mb and Voodoo Graphics (1, not 2). It was playable until more than one enemy appeared on screen, then framerate went below 10 FPS, and typical sound stuttering of Quake engines could be heard.

HL is an abuser of MMX, it uses it for skeletal animation and the sound DSP. HL is pretty much death if you have no MMX or a sucky implementation of it (Cyrix!!!)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 19 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hah, when it came out I played it on my PII/400 + Voodoo2/sli... funny thing is that I got it and did not like it in the beginning so I just did not play it... then I was hearing how great it was, so I gave it another shot and finally played it (yeah it was awesome allright 🤣)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website