VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all of you, it has been a while since I last posted, but I am pretty excited about this release that I bought it yesterday, with perfected speed on wonderful DosBox 0.73, it's pretty amazing, and its only six dollars!
The best part about this is that it gives you everything, including the Cryptic Passage, and the Plasma Pak, it's pretty cool, I would have never
thought for one second that Blood would even ever be released again, it is
about time Atari, and Monolith made up their mind with all of the copyright
issues involved with this game, and it just looks wonderful on my 22" Samsung LCD monitor!

Reply 2 of 13, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:
Mike wrote:

The best part about this is that it gives you everything

Not exactly. No in-game CD audio, for starters.

I wouldn't go that far as the CD audio tracks are included in the
gog.com release with OGG format music files, and the
cutscenes are present as well.

Reply 6 of 13, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
temptingthelure wrote:

Are the videos included? And one thing that's very much needed is, the source code! 😁

Eureka and de ja vu 😀 and amen to that 😀 at least the engine source should be released 😀

Reply 7 of 13, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had never heard of GOG.com before, but my spouse just bought a downloadable copy of Master of Magic from them, and it works great, without any music glitches or having to load DOSBox first. It sounds like they work with game publishers to get worldwide licenses for old games (so they're NOT an "abandonware" site), which their programmers then tweak so they'll run under XP & Vista -- without having to load DOSBox first. I certainly don't mind paying the modest fee they charge (MOM was US$5.99) to get a "good old game" that runs smoothly on modern computers. Great stuff! 😎

Reply 8 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think you give GOG too much credit. They pre-configure and autoexec the game for you, but it is DOSBox that allows Master of Magic to "run smoothly on modern computers", make no mistake about that.

Reply 9 of 13, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We thought it was probably DOSBox in there; it's just that with the GOG.com copies, one doesn't have to load DOSBox first, then load the game; also, this way the AUTOEXEC.BAT (or whatever) is preconfigured to run the game full-screen & with the sound just right. An individual gamer could do all this in DOSBox manually (if one already had a legal copy of the game), but it would be more work, plus you'd have the problem of acquiring a legal copy of the game (via eBay?) first. 😅 Downloading it from GOG.com is just way more convenient.

Reply 10 of 13, by Igracek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Blood was my favorite game many years ago. So I bought Blood from GOG.com, but....

Fist problem, audiotracks were really badly ripped, at the end of each track is a few seconds from beggining of next track. WTF? That's just amateurism.

Second problem, 96kbps OGG, it's a joke? I don't excepted a WAV or FLAC format, but this is really horrible quality in these days. Why they didn't use some high quality OGG's as a 225 VBR.

This is my first game with auditracks from GOG. If GOG guys usualy uses this horrible quality for their releases, then I don't wanna another game with audiotracks from their shop.

So, I'm really disaponted as an old fan of this game. It's still better to download some 1:1 copy of Blood from warez sites and then manually configure DOSbox than buy this stuff.

Reply 11 of 13, by Concupiscence

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Igracek: I have high-quality VBR .mp3's sitting around my hard drive right now that would probably transcode to .ogg's very cleanly. Let me know if you want them zinged your way.

Reply 12 of 13, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think GOG is looking into fixing a problem with the ogg files. They too often add or improve the extra content they include with their games, so they might add 128kb OGGs. These games' re-releases are almost a new release by themselves, so they're by the most port a WIP.

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com