Common searches

New Webshow: Ancient DOS Games

Topic actions

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello, everyone! Not sure how many of you will recognize me... probably only like, two or three of you. XD

Anywhoo, my name is Kris Asick and I've sorta been hiding in a corner of the net for over a decade now. I've released a few games to the world in shareware and freeware form, with my most notable claim to fame being PixelShips, which was originally a DOS game though I eventually only kept the Windows version up to date.

However, due to having so little time now mostly thanks to a lousy call centre job, and the fact that it takes a massive amount of work to make a game good enough to sell even for just pennies, I've decided to switch gears and am now primarily working on a new webshow entitled:

Ancient DOS Games!
(Yes, you can click that ;)

ADG is a series I'm going to use to bring to light all sorts of old DOS games, from the common and well known titles of the 80s and 90s to the obscure or easily forgotten ones. Unlike a standard review show where the host may give unlimited praise to a good game or get laughs out of a terrible game, I'm going to try to minimize the amount of critiquing I do and instead focus on the features of a game, what works, what doesn't, and also recommend the best DOSBox settings to use.

Episode 0 is an introductory episode to just give some background on the series. The first three episodes each focus on a single game: Stunts / 4D Sports Driving, Mega Man and Tyrian 2000. New episodes will be released every Saturday. Also, since I'm working unscripted to sound more natural, occasionally there might be errors in the episodes or I may forget things, so each episode's page will also have notes and corrections.

I own hundreds of DOS games, obtained over my 20+ years of PC gaming, so I'm not going to be running out of material any time soon, but will always be on the lookout for more titles to review and bring to light, and will show off shots of the disks, boxes and manuals when appropriate... or possible... I only managed to save 11 game boxes for my DOS games... BOOO. :(

Well, I hope my new webshow turns out to be at least mildly entertaining. Throw any comments or suggestions you wanna make my way and I'll see what I can do! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 44, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice 😀 your voice is great , when it comes to commenting . So I am going to take a dive into the series, and oh by the way, do you know the video series Retro Core ?

http://www.segagagadomain.com/RetroCorepage-main.htm That show is/was made by a friend of mine. And that is show is good too.

Reply 4 of 44, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have just watched the Tyrian2K episode and it is done really well.
Though let me add this:

You can't buy only a subset of the available weapons after each level, certain weapons are only available after completing certain levels. This increases the replay value of the game, especially since the interesting weapons are mostly available after completing special secret levels.

This game scales very well, it even runs fine on a 386 system.

I would like to have seen a brief roundup of the other available 2D space shooters of this time, as f.e. raptor call of the shadows.

Even if you prefer Adlib music in the spite of gaming experience comparison I would like to have heard at least a part with a real MIDI device as (Virtual) Roland Sound Canvas.

Reply 6 of 44, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This looks great!
Good recording quality, good narrating, lots of info. The only thing I can complain about is how you forgot about stunts modding abilities. If you check the stunts forums, there's a section where you can download extra vehicles, as well as tools for making your own ones. There's also some other tools for it, such as TrackBlaster and Opponent Blaster.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 7 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

This game scales very well, it even runs fine on a 386 system.

Not from my experience. I had needed a 486 dx2 66 for it to run at a Normal speed on lowest detail. 486DX 40 is murder, and 386... don't even THINK about that! The game will run fine and smooth when you get to the point of DX4, nearing 100MHz and a PCI video card, though.

elianda wrote:

Even if you prefer Adlib music in the spite of gaming experience comparison I would like to have heard at least a part with a real MIDI device as (Virtual) Roland Sound Canvas.

IMO Tyrian sounds horrible with wavetable, even on the mastered redbook tracks on the Tyrian 2000 CD.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 44, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a few quick replies:

* I will be doing more 2D shooters in the future of course. There's a massive selection of them in DOS such as Raptor, Stargunner, Major Stryker, Tubular Worlds, just to name the first few that come to mind. ;)

* Tyrian 2K sounds totally different using the MIDI music mode depending on your system, and on every system I have that supports General MIDI the music isn't nearly as good as in the Sound Blaster mode.

* I want to avoid discussing unofficial mods and expansions because people who aren't savy with handling them can really mess things up. I'll admit though, I could've at least mentioned that there were external track editors available. (I even tried making my own once though never finished it.)

Glad you're all enjoying the series! ^_^

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 10 of 44, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're right. Even if installing extra vehicles for stunts is just extracting files into the main game folder, people could still screw it up. The worst example I've seen is the guy who installed a game to his System32 folder, and then complained it didn't work.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 11 of 44, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: I know it is maybe stupid advertisement, but the show I gave a link to, made me love the 2D shooters, so I am going to look forward to the 2D shooters from the Dos days. Heck you could make a long ass 2D shooter special about 2D Dos shooters, just like the guy behind RTC, made a few (three ?) shooting specials over the years.

Reply 12 of 44, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Svenne wrote:

the guy who installed a game to his System32 folder,

😳 Why the hell would anyone do that?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 13 of 44, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess he just didn't red game's readme 😉

Ubisoft Entertainment Assassin's Creed II README.TXT 1.00 […]
Show full quote

Ubisoft Entertainment
Assassin's Creed II
README.TXT 1.00

2.4. Bugs and Comments

* It is _not_ advisable to install the game into the Windows folder (usually
C:\Windows), a subfolder of the Windows folder, nor the root of the system
drive (usually C:\).

Reply 14 of 44, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe he just overlooked the word '_not_'. in the phrase '_not_ advisable'. 😜

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 15 of 44, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, i guess that would explain why they add "_ _" to "not" now 😉
But i guess they didn't write the first message without the reason too 😉
I wonder which option was causing more mistakes: not mentioning it in the manual or mentioning it without "_ _" 😉

Reply 16 of 44, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game is an online game called "Blockland". His nickname was Tezuni, if I remember correctly. He later got banned off the forums for stealing a gun model. Anyway, let's not get too far off-topic 😉

Reply 17 of 44, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool show, I like it!

Much better than your standard youtube fare.

Maybe a little less repetition in the game play would make it more entertaining to watch rather than just listen to. =]

I like the tips and tricks for getting the games working, always nice.

Your humor is good too, thumbs up!

Reply 18 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HOLY CRAP you own the actual MEGAMAN FLOPPIES and you're not afraid to show them! That already puts credibility on this series as you're not some random abandonware downloading kid doing nasally let's plays.

i'm willing to bet that "game from Finland" is Line Wars II, published in 1994 by Epi...err Safari Software.

Or, it's Slix n' Slide. That one was a popular shareware top down racer from finland in 95 too

Tyrian 2000 felt like a cheap resell to make a quick buck at the time, and heck I hate the fact it's mentioned more than the original Tyrian as if that never existed before. Tyrian Shareware 1.0 is still endlessly replayable alone and it's what I grew with then.

XSIV Games is pronounced as "Excessive" by the way.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 19 of 44, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RoyBatty wrote:

Maybe a little less repetition in the game play would make it more entertaining to watch rather than just listen to. =]

Really, it depends on the game. A lot of DOS games are notoriously repetitive to watch because the gameplay lacks the sort of cinematic quality a lot of newer games have. Obviously there are many exceptions but I've yet to cover one of them. I'll add live action when I can but that leads into my next reply...

leileilol wrote:

HOLY CRAP you own the actual MEGAMAN FLOPPIES and you're not afraid to show them! That already puts credibility on this series as you're not some random abandonware downloading kid doing nasally let's plays.

Yeah... I wanted to make the entire Episode 0 live action, but all I have to film with is a lousy webcam which doesn't do video + audio at the same time well enough for a show like this. (And only hits 15 FPS tops at 640x480.) Don't have the money to invest in a good camcorder just yet.

leileilol wrote:

i'm willing to bet that "game from Finland" is Line Wars II, published in 1994 by Epi...err Safari Software.

Or, it's Slix n' Slide. That one was a popular shareware top down racer from finland in 95 too

Those are both great games but I'm not going to say which (if either) is the one I'll be reviewing next! ;)

leileilol wrote:

XSIV Games is pronounced as "Excessive" by the way.

Good to know. Thanks! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)