VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I feel like I'm in BIZARRO world. A few months ago, after reading a little about the history of sound cards and the Creative Music System card, I'd been thinking to myself "Gee, I'd kind of like to have a couple of the oldest sound cards...like a GameBlaster or one of the first Sound Blasters, with C/MS capabilities". Well, just a little over a month ago, I was first to notice a like new complete-in-box GAME BLASTER for sale...and now, just this morning...I trotted over to ebay and spotted a BRAND NEW, Factory SEALED, Original Sound Blaster card -- got it for about $41 total shipped price. I won't know the exact version until I receive it of course (or if the C/MS chips are present). This will likely go into my 286-class Tandy 1000 TL/2.

Should I rush out and buy a Lottery ticket, ya think?

Haven't received the SB card yet of course, but here's the pic of it:

9291828.jpg

Last edited by digitaldoofus on 2010-06-09, 19:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 2 of 28, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I noticed the Windows logo. But then again, I saw on a version 1.5's box (in the lower left corner of the front of the box) that Creative had printed "version 1.5" on the box itself. So...maybe it's a ver. 2...or 1.5...or 1 ...??? There seems to have been a *lot* of variation in the production of the early soundblasters, as evidenced by the various "A" "B" "C" and version markings on the cards themselves.

Even Windows had already been out for at least a couple years when even the SB ver1.5 came out...so this card really could be practically any of the earlier versions. Maybe the "Windows" sticker was even retrofitted to the box, in order to spur SB sales with some of the production runs, or when distributed to certain retailers? Such mysteries abound...

Anyway, I'm happy whichever version, and it'll be supreme fun to open it and find out which one I've gotten!

😀

Reply 5 of 28, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe I should function as a "bookmaker" and give odds to people and let them bet on which version it will be?

We already have a ver2 bet, and a late-revison ver1.5. Okay, who's next?

Winner gets a complimentary copy of Atari 2600 Combat! 😉

Reply 6 of 28, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool find.
Not too long ago I acquired myself a boxed version as well, still sealed.
It turned out to be a CT-1320C (without the creative sticker on the DSP chip).
I also have a CT-1320B but not an A (yet?) 😀

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 7 of 28, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Salient wrote:
Cool find. Not too long ago I acquired myself a boxed version as well, still sealed. It turned out to be a CT-1320C (without the […]
Show full quote

Cool find.

You mean one of these? 😁

P1010384.JPG

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 8 of 28, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Amigaz wrote:
Salient wrote:
Cool find. Not too long ago I acquired myself a boxed version as well, still sealed. It turned out to be a CT-1320C (without the […]
Show full quote

Cool find.

You mean one of these? 😁

<<cool pic>>

Yeah... Want to get rid of it ? 😁

Reply 9 of 28, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Salient: I was even more impressed with your finding a C/MS Upgrade Kit ! 😳 BTW...was the Kit *only* functional with a SB2, or would it work (as I would think) with a SB1.5 just as well?

Reply 10 of 28, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For anyone who wants C/MS chips for the Sound Blaster 1 or 2, I've got lots of SAA 1099P chips available, most of them never used before. When ordered what I thought were 4 chips from a source in Hong Kong, I got tens of them instead, in 2 small boxes.

Reply 11 of 28, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

pianoman...Cool, I might be getting back with you on that, after my card arrives. Is the mysterious third chip (the "controller" chip) needed only for a Sound Blaster version 2? Or does ver1.5 need a third "controller" chip as well?

Reply 12 of 28, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The controller chip is only needed for SB2. Unfortunately, I do not have that available, so I hope you're getting an SB1.0 or 1.5
I'm located in US, if anyone wants to know. However, I will be gone out of the country starting middle of next week, and will be back on July 5th. So communication with the forum will be limited for me until I get back.

Reply 13 of 28, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Salient wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
Salient wrote:
Show full quote

Cool find.

You mean one of these? 😁

<<cool pic>>

Yeah... Want to get rid of it ? 😁

No way, José! 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 14 of 28, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digitaldoofus wrote:

@Salient: I was even more impressed with your finding a C/MS Upgrade Kit ! 😳 BTW...was the Kit *only* functional with a SB2, or would it work (as I would think) with a SB1.5 just as well?

The kit works also in an sb 1.5, you just don't need the 3rd control-chip then.

Reply 15 of 28, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, not to thread hijack or anything...

So I just picked up, for free (thanks, Freecycle!) a box of old DOS games (including, appropriately enough, the old Infocom Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy,) along with two extra presents.

A boxed Creative Music System.
and this:
sbprotoft.jpg
sbprotobk.jpg

Yup, a prototype Sound Blaster. Anyone know where I can get drivers to run this in my PC-AT?

Reply 17 of 28, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anonymous Freak

Can you take this file:
http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/test/SBTEST2.zip
(It checks DSP version number and some more things)

would be great if you used it with both your cards: gameblaster and sb this way:
sbtest2>gb.txt
sbtest2>sb.txt
so that it will save the results into .txt files

Reply 19 of 28, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AND THE WINNNER ISS.... Malik! He guessed correctly that my "sealed in box" new Sound Blaster would be a SB Version 2.0 !

I'm pretty happy it's a 2.0, because I'm going to actually *use* it, and supposedly the sound of the version 2.0 benefits from auto-init DMA. 😀