VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They are not necessarilyl the most powerful nor the most lethal, but they are indeed the ones that make you wish to strangle the game designer for putting them on the first place. So what do you think the most annoying enemy in a particular game?

Here's some that come to my mind.

Privateer 2: The Darkening

The most annoying enemy in this game is none other than Jincilla Skull. Oh, the ship is not really powerful at all. In fact, all it can do is killing you with paper cuts. However, it is fast, agile, and has such an unfairly small target profile. I mean, what would one say when the Skull is merely a hundred klicks away, right in the middle of my crosshair, while I am using a Freij MkII with five guns, all fired simultaneously in a full gun configuration, and still miss? WTF?

Gunship 2000

One word: infantry. They're not as lethal as, say, mobile SAM launcher, but they are numerous and pretty hard to spot. The worst part of it, they're also hard to kill. If you encounter them without M255 flechette rockets in hand, better pray.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

Terror drome is a real pain in the ass, especially when they attach themselves into your ore miner or tanks. An ordinary terror drome is already annoying, but the real nightmare comes when they're protected by iron curtain. There's nothing more frustrating to see invincible terror dromes wreaking havoc among your troops while you helplessly wait until the iron curtain wears off. Aaaarrrgh!

So, anyone?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 56, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOOM II "pain elementals" hands down!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 4 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rfnagel wrote:

DOOM II "pain elementals" hands down!

Was thinking the exact same thing!

Also I get tired of chasing these small and manouverable A-wings in Tie fighter.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 56, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:

yeah those drones are pain in the arse but, this is a counter but, it's been a while so i don't remember.

Tesla troops work great (I was playing Sovyet vs Sovyet), but when the drones are protected by iron curtain, the real frustration comes.

Ah, speaking of pesky little critters, I just remember another:

Ultima Series

What else more annoying than gremlins? These pesky little fuckers steal your food, and there is nothing more annoying to see your party get injured by hunger every time they move on the map. I was so relieved when discovering that food is not that critical in Ultima VI.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 6 of 56, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Magic Carpet - the rival wizards. Every time you claimed some mana you had to stay there and guard it until it was collected. If you tried to leave they would swoop in and claim it for themselves.

System Shock II - respawning enemies. You could clear out a closed room, go out the door, come right back in and there would be enemies there again.

Reply 7 of 56, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re-Spawning Enemies. I just hate RE-Spawning Enemies. Doesn't matter which game. Doesn't matter which enemy. Just hate them! I don't like to just kill them again and again and again. I just want to clear off an area and move on. For one, the enemis keep re-spawning but on the other hand, you only have limited ammos and ammos just don't re-appear like these creatures do!! And it get's frustrating, repetitive and tiresome, beating the crap out of them by just using a crowbar or a monkey wrench or a lead pipe, after draining out your ammos!

We're not talking about Quake III Team Arena or Unreal Tournament here. At least, in these games, the weapons and ammos spawn too. But the purpose of those games is different - win by scoring (fragging) the most.

In DOOM1,2,HERETIC, etc., I always choose the penultimate difficulty level. It's the last highest difficulty level without monster respawns.

And, have I mentioned that I hate re-spawning monsters yet? 😜

Reply 8 of 56, by colonny55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The "Trandoshans" in the original Dark Forces. They use a rifle that doesn't require aim. Kinda like the BFG in DOOM (just not as flashy). The game peppers them around throughout later levels.

Reply 9 of 56, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Master of Magic.

There's an old dirty bastard named Merlin who just loooooooves to send his guardian spirits (yup, powerful guardian spirits instead of "standard" magic spirits) to squat on your hard-earned magic nodes. And when you move your troops around his "newly acquired" magic nodes, he complains that YOU are the one who invades HIS territory.

Bastard.

Heroes II of Might and Magic.

Any spellcaster is downright annoying, although wizards and necromancers are top on my hatelist. This usually happens near endgame; you eventually build your massive troops to deliver the final punch, then suddenly an enemy wizard/necro attacks your hero on the way to the battlefield. The wizard/necro is always high level, and brings ultra-fast but expendable troops that will surely perish against your massive army in a fair combat.

But do you get a fair combat? Nooo. The wizard/necro casts a really damaging spell like chain lightning or death ripple, wreaking death and destruction among your precious army, then flee. Yup, they flee, only to be recruited again by the enemy in the next turn, with levels and enhancements intact. And they will be back, oh they will be back, repeating the same dirty tactics until you're really compelled to smash your keyboard.

Reply 11 of 56, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

Re-Spawning Enemies. I just hate RE-Spawning Enemies. Doesn't matter which game. Doesn't matter which enemy. Just hate them! I don't like to just kill them again and again and again. I just want to clear off an area and move on.

+1

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 12 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

Re-Spawning Enemies. I just hate RE-Spawning Enemies. Doesn't matter which game. Doesn't matter which enemy. Just hate them! I don't like to just kill them again and again and again. I just want to clear off an area and move on.

except when you're playing an RPG and want an area to farm for gold or drops...

Reply 15 of 56, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

cant remember the game maybe one of the medal of honour or cod games, but the enemies get up after you think they're dead which means you have to kill them twice

edit: its not cod (call of duty)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 17 of 56, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hm... This is a tough one.. I would have to go with the creepy hand from Blood that can kill you in an instant, it also scared the crap out of me when I first played it a few years back; gosh, despite the old age of the game, it still has some really creepy stuff in it, and the worst part is the hand sounding
like "Asulagunzela" or whatever it is saying as it clings on to the main
character and drain his health, and those things get very annoying as
they tend to pop right in your face when you least expect it.

Reply 19 of 56, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember two enemies of Mad Mix Game (a.k.a. Pepsi Challenge, it was an "enhaced" Pacman clone): the ladybug (a.k.a. Maricoco) and "zapatones". The first one refilled with dots the empty parts of level, the second smashed the dots (forcing you to seek a tool to restore the dots and then going back to eat them).

And yes, it had a PC version.

@Davros: It happened in Rise of the Triad. Some enemies pleaded for their life, then "die"... and then they get up, steal your fancy super weapon (they won't steal your pistol or MP40) and then shoot you.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!