VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heres the deal,

I bought a Voodoo4 from a seller in France. He has good feedback but the last feedback was about 12 months ago (he was inactive for a long period, it seems)
I couldn't pay him on his Paypal account because, apparently, he's changed it but forgot to change it in Ebay.
He did offer me his new Paypal address and later he offered to have me pay him directly to his bank account.

Of the 2 options, the Paypal seems the more secure.
Is it secure to pay outside Ebay, BUT with paypal?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 10, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure how it works. If you go to paypal and say it's for an ebay item it will probably try to redirect you. I know I had some problems with that when I first started my account.

Reply 3 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You know, eBay has a community section where you can ask other eBay members questions like this one. You might have better luck there than here in catching the attention of someone who knows PayPal and eBay policies.

However, from what I know about PayPal and eBay there's nothing saying he can't update his eBay account with his new PayPal info and send you an updated invoice through eBay. Then, when you go to pay him through eBay, it should all work fine.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure if the French seller is not a fraud, but I used to pay my ebay purchases with Western Union, of all things. Until mid-2006, Indonesians CC holders were not allowed to join PayPal due to carders' notoriety in this country, so I have few choices when it goes to payment. I could purchase a Bank Draft and send it to the seller, but it takes quite long time, so I used Western Union instead. All the items paid by Western Union arrived safely at my address.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 10, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can buy things outside ebay using paypal - I've done this and taken action through paypal for non-arrival [magically the goods then arrived of course...]. Can't see that's any different from using paypal for an ebay item but not through the ebay process or ebay-registered paypal address.

On the other hand, I can't see why the seller doesn't change the email address that's out of date as gemini says.

Reply 6 of 10, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Usually there will be no problem paying via Paypal, OUTSIDE of ebay. You just won't be able to have eBay's Buyer Protection, and you can't open a dispute if something goes wrong.

Usually the condition where this kind of situation occurs is quite clear-cut.

I have done few outside-of-ebay transactions. The situation there is different. Mostly due to my request to add in extra items along with the purchase, like additional cables or a remote control with a module, etc. which were not listed in the bid, but on questions, the seller will provide the addtional details and will provide the paypal's money request directly to the email for the additional items.

Changing the Paypal address in Ebay is not a big deal. He can still do it before you pay him.

I would suggest that you bring up this problem with eBay directly and explain the situation and seek ebay's advice.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just pay at his new address via paypal, choose EBAY ITEM, fill in the details and see where that gets you... if the ebay details are not accepted, then ask on ebay

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

From (his) My eBay ----> Account Tab -----> Paypal Account ------> Unlink old account, then re-link new account.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for.
The bad news is, I today discovered my Paypal is negative and until it's no longer negative, I can't even use my Paypal.
I didn't even know Paypal could go negative??? I always let it take money from my bank account.

Anyway, it'll take a week before it's no longer negative (soooo slow for an internet payment...)