What is your age?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 182, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

27... damn I feel young now. XD

6 when I started playing PC games on our own home system and 10 when I started programming.

...and single the whole time. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 21 of 182, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

27... damn I feel young now. 🤣

I'm also 27... another relatively young one 😁

I'm living with my girlfriend who enjoys a bit of modern gaming (PC, Xbox 360, DS and Wii) and retro gaming to some extent (Sega Master Sytem and Megadrive, Saturn etc..).

We don't have kids but are always busy looking after our pets... It's like a zoo here 🤣

2 x Sudan Plated lizards
1 x Saharan Uromastyx lizard
1 x Corn snake
1 x Cockatiel
2 x Chinchilla's
5 x Cats

Reply 22 of 182, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's likely the fact that the main focus of this website are 486-Pentium era games, largely those popular to teenagers and college age kids.

Which means that people who played them new are now in their 30s. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised as the preponderance of 30-somethings.

Reply 23 of 182, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The hot topics vary. Right now it is 486 stuff. It has been Socket A-era too. There have been big threads about 386s as well. I grew up with XT and newer hardware and am interested in everything really. 30 years old here.

What we don't get into much is home computer or Apple hardware.

I think it's cool that there are younger people (teenagers) into the old stuff. Inquisitive minds. 😀

Reply 24 of 182, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

I'm 35 this year! Happy birthday to all who are celebrating their birthday now or presently!

Happy birthday bro!

Malik wrote:

For now, my girlfriends/wives/etc. are my PCs and Consoles! And having fun with them everyday - After a hard day at work, they always cheer me up! 😁

I never went so far as calling my computers 'girlfriend', but I get the point! 😁

swaaye wrote:

The world needs more retro computer enthusiast women, really. 😁

Wouldn't it be nice to marry someone with the same hobby? I actually admire women who likes computer, let alone vintage hardware and old games.

Although, admittedly, the domestic arguments between husband and wife will revolve around which external module is the best for Wing Commander. Also, the newly wed couple will spend their first night solving the puzzles of Maniac Mansion.

ratfink wrote:

49 here, married with 3 kids.

😳 And I thought MiniMax is the oldest guy around.

Or is he?

swaaye wrote:

The hot topics vary. Right now it is 486 stuff. It has been Socket A-era too. There have been big threads about 386s as well. I grew up with XT and newer hardware and am interested in everything really. 30 years old here.

I was first exposed to XTs and 286s when I was in Junior High School; you know, games like Digger, Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom, and the first Test Drive. When I was about your age, I was heavily into Atari and Game & Watch. Anyone remembers those little toys?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 26 of 182, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

i'm 20 will be 21 this December... as of posting

(Sorry for straying off-topic a bit) Just curious 😉. How did you get into vintage computing? You were in your early teens back when 486's were being dumped on the streets (with me picking them up 😁 )

Reply 27 of 182, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

(Sorry for straying off-topic a bit) Just curious 😉. How did you get into vintage computing? You were in your early teens back when 486's were being dumped on the streets (with me picking them up 😁 )

Yup, I'd also like to know what lures younger people into old games and vintage hardware. Nonetheless, I believe it is a good thing. We need younger generation to pass the torch to. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 28 of 182, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

24 Here, I got into that sort of thing because my dad would bring home lots of junk for me to play with.
I just grew up using older hardware, I still have my IBM 5162 😀

Reply 29 of 182, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

What we don't get into much is home computer or Apple hardware.

I think it's cool that there are younger people (teenagers) into the old stuff. Inquisitive minds. 😀

I demand a new forum for Commodore 64, Atari, Apple II, TI99/4A etc!! 😁

Reply 31 of 182, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

Actually if my memory serves me right (which it probably isn't) I remember using the apple II in kindergarten i remember a game where you made robots another one with a fire truck and i think one with cars and highways they were all or mostly educational. The games ran on the big 5.25 floppies. i remember our teacher telling us "not to touch the part in the oval slot" or something to that extent so we didn't get finger oils on the exposed part of the disk.

I actually went to daycare for a some time because both my parents worked and my mom wasn't off till at least 5. Had it no been for the director Randy Sharp I probably wouldn't be in to computers. The first machine they got was most likely a 486. it ran windows 3.11 and if memory servers my right we played a go kart game with animals
which i believe is wacky wheels.

They then got what i think had to of been a Pentium 3 machine judging by it's performance. It came with 98 and various demos among them Starcraft. I remember begging my mom to buy me Starcraft at Kmart
and talking one of the directors into letting me install it. My friends Marcus and Michael played it all the time. I remember other kids complaining about me/us hogging the computer. I remember one day playing Starcraft for HOURS it seemed, my teacher had me take a break for a little bit.

To this day i play some dos games but seems for only a few minutes at time as seem to die easy in bio menace or commander keen. although my blackjack smart phone came in handy a few months ago i played wolf 3d while on hold for tech support for at&t.

My current rig with 98SE is Toshiba laptop it has 900mhz 384mb and 16mb geforce2 go. I usually play games like MaxPayne or Vice City more than i do dos games, one big barrier is it tells me i have no ems memory manager so i can't run some games like castles II. It does do nice at games like Shadow Warrior and Blood cause the emulate like crap on dos box.

As far as consoles i mainly grew up on the rare Sega CDX then the N64. We also had an NES for a while.

Reply 36 of 182, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kippesoep wrote:

31, turning 32 in 2 months. This thread makes me feel young 😁

I'm over 55. This thread makes me feel sort of old! But I'm not against getting older BTW - it just qualifies me for my dependable ride on a regular basis - 8 short years to go now! And 7 yrs ago I was dreaming of getting this ride - back then it was 15 yrs to wait.

Didn't realize there were so many young people here on this forum - it seems all the older gamers are the people who play adventure games and they're on places like gameboomers, mysterymanor.net, justadventure, adventure point, etc.

Reply 37 of 182, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kelly Stiver wrote:
Kippesoep wrote:

31, turning 32 in 2 months. This thread makes me feel young 😁

I'm over 55. This thread makes me feel sort of old! But I'm not against getting older BTW - it just qualifies me for my dependable ride on a regular basis - 8 short years to go now! And 7 yrs ago I was dreaming of getting this ride - back then it was 15 yrs to wait.

Didn't realize there were so many young people here on this forum - it seems all the older gamers are the people who play adventure games and they're on places like gameboomers, mysterymanor.net, justadventure, adventure point, etc.

When it comes to gaming my 33 years of age seem old.
When I talk about the 80's when I had my C64 and Amiga 500 etc with younger people they look at me like I was from another planet 😵

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 39 of 182, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just turned 48. Happily, my college fraternity required me to "...retain the spirit of youth." Majority opinion says I've succeeded.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...