Common searches

What is your age?

Topic actions

Reply 42 of 182, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Amigaz wrote:

When I talk about the 80's when I had my C64 and Amiga 500 etc with younger people they look at me like I was from another planet 😵

In 1980 I was entering my first year of college, and I was not "home computer" savvy. Instead, the ARCADES were the Big Thing in town, and I became a Missile Command master par excellence.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 43 of 182, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just turned 26 last month.

I know you all talk about 90s-quality graphics and IPX games and I talk about text-based and 80s stuff.

Things were tighter for us back then, and computers were $1000+. We had a 286 in the first half of the 90s (no sound card, PC speaker sound, DOS only) and one of those crappy 486 SLC jobs from 1994 (Windows 3.1) until 1997, so I used to play stuff like Sleuth, ZZT, Jill of the Jungle, Capture the Flag, and the Hugo trilogy during the DOS days. Windows got me hooked on Castle of the Winds, played Wolf3D around that time, and of course had one of those "100 Games" type CDs which kept me busy.

Very briefly used a 2400 baud modem in 1992 (long-distance), and Internet didn't come to our part of the woods until about 1997, with no cable/DSL until the early 2000s.

What I like about DOSbox is that while most of the games will run under XP cmd.exe/command.com just fine, DOSbox gives text-based games the sharp graphics you didn't have back then.

Now after writing this I want to play Capture the Flag 🤣.

-redblade7

Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org

Reply 44 of 182, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

i remember our teacher telling us "not to touch the part in the oval slot"

I once had a girlfriend who told me the same. 😁 😉

🤣 and win. i also had dial up for a while don't think we got high speed until mid to late 06. thats why i know how to get free dial up. i used to get free netzero and free juno both the same company so i would get double.

Reply 46 of 182, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
memsys wrote:

I was born in the same year as commander keen 1 was released.
So i am probably one of the youngest members here 🤣 .

You probably are! Please tell us your story -- do you happen to be playing with Apple IIs when you were a toddler like cdoublejj? 😁

Hmm, you've just necromanced a two-year old thread -- I was 25 when KAN started revealing people's ages here...

Reply 49 of 182, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same thing that interests me now and hopefully will interest me in the future.
Games and Hardware 😁

You know, some of you people grew up with an XT or a 386 or a 486 etc. Some other people grew up with a SNES or an Amiga.
I grew up with my Pentium 133 and Windows 9x. 😁

Reply 50 of 182, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

21 and still ageing! Girlfriend, hopefully no wife for next 5 years, used to have 2 collie dogs, black and brown, both died 😢

I never had a PC before mid-2000s, my first computer was Celeron 1700 with Radeon 8500 and biggest RAM in the neighborhood - 1Gb. Later I started to read a magazine about PC games and learned a lot about dealing with hardware, software, what was cool and what was crap. There I stumbled upon texts about 3dfx, Amiga, 386, 486, early pentiums, nvidia and ATi early history. That put a timebomb into my had and one day I bought my first 386 from a colleague for $3. It was a desktop case with a mobo and PSU installed + a pack of junk, where I found a hard drive, controllers, extra RAM, etc. I got the rest of the parts (CRT, fdd, cables) later.

The whole thing was on the floor of my room for several months before I managed to finally set the jumpers everywhere in the correct position and receive an image on a CRT... It takes a day now, but first time is always the hardest.

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2012-11-18, 16:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 51 of 182, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:
Same thing that interests me now and hopefully will interest me in the future. Games and Hardware :D […]
Show full quote

Same thing that interests me now and hopefully will interest me in the future.
Games and Hardware 😁

You know, some of you people grew up with an XT or a 386 or a 486 etc. Some other people grew up with a SNES or an Amiga.

Of course 😀

Yeah I hope there are some pictures left in our family photo album of our old early 90s setup (because I'm not sure what it was -- 286/386/486). Had a NES so was 'diverted', then Sega Genesis/MegaDrive ... then back to computer again around 1994~1995. Through the Pentium era. Never had another console since. 😀

RacoonRider wrote:

21 and still

youthing!

corrected 😁

Reply 53 of 182, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love 8/16-bit stuff and can talk volumes about it, although I can't really remember anything before Windows 3.1. Oddly, the Amiga is one platform that never carried any interest to me. Some people worship them but I've always just been like "Meh."

And I still have never seen an 8" floppy except in pictures 🤣

Reply 55 of 182, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

86 or a 486 etc. Some other people grew up with a SNES or an Amiga.

Quite similar like me, grew up with 286 and then made a huge jump to a P166MMX. In the meantime I played alot on my friend 486s and I owned a Sega Megadrive (Euro name for you Americans here). So as you might understand Win9x and 3D gaming is the big stuff for me. 28 years old

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 56 of 182, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

So as you might understand Win9x and 3D gaming is the big stuff for me.

Exactly. 😀
This is why I got so emotional when I found Havoc so many years after I had first played it. Took me by total surprise!

Reply 57 of 182, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

30 years old, single and definitely looking .

I first grew up with Amigas, C64 and the C128 , and consoles (of both Sega and Nintendo) in the early 90s. Later on came the pc .

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2014-08-03, 13:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 59 of 182, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm 35 I think, haven't really been keeping track lately! I'm married with 2 kids, but I still find time for my computer fetish too so consider myself one very lucky man.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.