VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 276, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't understand the hate for Steam in this day and age. When Empire: Total War required it I was abit annoyed at having to install it but after buying a few more games from Steam (often during their awesome sales, getting them dirt cheap) I actually find its pretty nifty. The friends and chat functions are great as well as keeping my games up to date and all in the one place. The DRM is unintrusive and I've never really had any issues with it.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 41 of 276, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I've expressed my opinion of Steam in other topics. On another site I've been informed that I'm one of the four people in the world who doesn't like Steam. I'm relieved that there are 3 others.

Reply 42 of 276, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have no hatred for Steam I just realize the faults and work around them as I do with most other things.

I'd rather have foresight than no sight.

Also screw friends, chat, dechievements, cloud saves and any other BS that has nothing to do with singleplayer games requiring the internet.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 43 of 276, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

If it just uses Steam and no other DRM then you can use a steam emulator to emulate steam for that specific game, if it uses 3rd party DRM then just wait for the DNF specific crack.

That way you can use Steam as the distribution service but not have to rely on it to stop you from playing your games when you want to play them. (This is what I do because it seems that whenever I want to play a Steam game and don't crack it then I encounter some BS)

I never knew about this option.

And btw, I must be one of those other 3 that hate steam.
After I'd tried that HL game (which took over 8 hours to install because of that *#%@ steam and still hadn't finished) I bought another steam game a couple years later and couldn't log into my old steam account anymore, so I had to create a 2nd account.

What I also don't like is that whenever a new game is out, I find it hard to figure out if a particular game needs any of those steam(clones) to play...I mean install AND play.
Wiki doesn't mention if a particular game needs steam or not...bah.
Steam is like a bad dream.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44 of 276, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I try to list which games on steam require steam or not on my list. It's not completly accurate tho. Working on it.....

It's best to assume by default that the game requires Steam tho since almost always it does. It's very rare that a game on Steam doesn't require Steam.

Reply 45 of 276, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

I try to list which games on steam require steam or not on my list. It's not completly accurate tho. Working on it.....

It's best to assume by default that the game requires Steam tho since almost always it does. It's very rare that a game on Steam doesn't require Steam.

I meant when you see a game and you think "Hey, maybe I'll want to go buy it!" but on the Wiki page it makes no mention if it's a steam game or not.

Report spammers here!

Reply 47 of 276, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

ohhhhhh you mean boxed copies.....I remember those in the long ago. 😀

Lol, yes! I typically only buy the boxed retail games as I like having a hard copy around 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 48 of 276, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's another thing I miss. Even if a game turned out to be poorly designed often the box, manual, and other embellishments use to give me the impression that I was still getting my money's worth.

I don't like games that require activation either but I got a copy of Dead Space. The first one I ordered was returned because I was sent the EA Value Games Edition and I at least wanted a manual with my purchase.

The case that Crysis 2 comes in is so flimsy I thought it was going to rip while I separated the disc from it.

I like the physical presence that something commands on my shelf. With today's light packaging I don't get that sensation any more. As for Digital Distribution I don't see much difference than if it were a pirated copy that was downloaded except for the inclusion of having spent money on it and feeling ripped off.

Reply 49 of 276, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
That's another thing I miss. Even if a game turned out to be poorly designed often the box, manual, and other embellishments use […]
Show full quote

That's another thing I miss. Even if a game turned out to be poorly designed often the box, manual, and other embellishments use to give me the impression that I was still getting my money's worth.

I don't like games that require activation either but I got a copy of Dead Space. The first one I ordered was returned because I was sent the EA Value Games Edition and I at least wanted a manual with my purchase.

The case that Crysis 2 comes in is so flimsy I thought it was going to rip while I separated the disc from it.

I like the physical presence that something commands on my shelf. With today's light packaging I don't get that sensation any more. As for Digital Distribution I don't see much difference than if it were a pirated copy that was downloaded except for the inclusion of having spent money on it and feeling ripped off.

Thats why I typically research first before I buy. I don't want to have a pile of software boxes with games I know I'm never going to be playing.
Otoh, if I find a game really good, I'll often try to get at least 3 of the boxes (for spares and in case I want to try out multiplayer 😁)

Report spammers here!

Reply 50 of 276, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

Another delay. Release date changed from May 3rd to June 14th.

Wow! I'm really amazed by the consistencies of DNF. It has maintained it's title of the "Number 1 Vapourware of All Time. EVER"
I like things maintaining their unique status. I expect nothing less from the super "forever" hero. 😁

dnparod.png

Attachments

• Filename
    dnparod.png
    File size
    239.57 KiB
    Downloads
    137 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 51 of 276, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never heard of Steam emulation before. It sounds a bit risky - can't Steam lock you out if you don't play by their rules? (I suppose that's one major point against Steam, but really, what's so bad about playing by their rules?)

I certainly do not miss the days of trying to track down legitimate patches for the games I purchased.

Reply 52 of 276, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

I've never heard of Steam emulation before. It sounds a bit risky - can't Steam lock you out if you don't play by their rules? (I suppose that's one major point against Steam, but really, what's so bad about playing by their rules?)

I certainly do not miss the days of trying to track down legitimate patches for the games I purchased.

Couple of their rules:
You MUST use steam to play our games
You MUST activate and often be online when playing an OFFline campaign
You MUST patch the game when WE want, not when you want.

If your steam account gets hacked/lost/whatever, say bye bye to all your games!!
We don't care that you still have the disk. We even don't care about the code! You need US to play YOUR games ha ha ha!
And still, even though this is probably fixable, you're still wasting time because it's steam 😜
And finding old patches may be some work (another reason I keep them in my offline database, only need to download once!) but so far I've never not been able to track down a patch that I wanted 😉

Steam...oh go away, you bad dream!!1 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 53 of 276, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

There are ones that run in memory and modify things on the fly (so for this method you do risk detection) but the ones I'm talking about operate completely offline. So you do not have steam loaded when you play them. It's exactly the same as using a crack except nothing in the game is cracked it's just being redirected to the steam emulator instead.

The benefit to using the emulator is you don't have to hunt down cracks which you need to still do for Steam games that use 3rd party DRM.

No more Steam discussion this is a DNF thread!

Reply 54 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today is May 3rd. The day of the original release date of DNF before it was postponed to June 14th (June 10th international). But it is indeed coming on the 14th. Randy Pitchford, president and CEO of Gearbox Software has confirmed that the game is complete (all bugs squashed) and going through the certification process. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/techno … 1126444/1/.html. The article was confirmed by a Gearbox employee on their forums. The system requirements have also finally been released and they are as follows:

Minimum Specifications

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.0 Ghz
  • Memory: 1 Gb
  • Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
  • Video Memory: 256 MB
  • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon HD 2600
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Recommended Specifications

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.6 Ghz
  • Memory: 2 Gb
  • Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
  • Video Memory: 512 MB
  • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS / ATI Radeon HD 3850
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

I expect the demo to be released to First Access Club members any time now. Also, here's a new and uncensored "Come Get Some" trailer released a few days ago (NSFW).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYygzP--ALA

The long wait is almost over.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 55 of 276, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

awesome, can't wait for the first access demo, I have it pre-ordered 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 56 of 276, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

I don't understand the hate for Steam in this day and age. When Empire: Total War required it I was abit annoyed at having to install it but after buying a few more games from Steam (often during their awesome sales, getting them dirt cheap) I actually find its pretty nifty. The friends and chat functions are great as well as keeping my games up to date and all in the one place. The DRM is unintrusive and I've never really had any issues with it.

Some people prefer to have DVD's handy that don't require an internet connection to play for emergencies when you need to reinstall but can't wait to download hundreds of gigabytes all over again.

I'll be too busy playing L.A. Noire to worry about Duke.

Last edited by sliderider on 2011-05-03, 17:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 57 of 276, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Some people prefer to have DVD's handy that don't require an internet connection to play for emergencies when you need to reinstall but can't wait to download hundreds of gigabytes all over again.

Steam has a backup feature just for that purpose.

I have an early demo access pass too. my body is ready

Reply 59 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is meant is that all the major bugs they were working on are squashed. Of course there's probably bugs that were overlooked, there always are. But the big game-breaking ones that kept them from going Gold is now gone.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.