VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I took a year's break from playing SSI's old "Gold Box" games (little RL things like sending my oldest off to college took priority for a while), but have now picked up where I had left off in "Secret of the Silver Blades." Anyway, I had completed the first 2 levels in the Mines and entered Level 3, and noticed that the Mines Level 3 map was a reprint of the Mines Level 1 map in SSI's Clue Book (which I've saved my original copy of from 20 years ago). I checked for non-SSI walkthroughs online, and discovered what appears to be an accurate map of Level 3 by ASchultz at GameFAQs.com (accessed via a link from GameSpot). ASchultz apparently also did a complete walkthrough of the game, which included directions to the locations of each piece of the Staff of Oswulf in the Mines (although not to the monster lairs/umber hulk encounters which provide random magic items in the Mines). Just an FYI for anyone else who may need help with that part of the game! 😅

Reply 1 of 6, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally finished Secret of the Silver Blades last weekend, and plan to install Pools of Darkness & transfer my SOTSB party soon.
One question perhaps someone who's got old AD&D rulebooks can help with: One of my characters (a ranger) has a Long Sword vs. Giants, which I assume also counts as a magic sword when used against other creatures. What is its + bonus? (I know there will be some battles against iron golems in POD, for which any participating PCs will need +3 weapons or better; if that Long Sword vs. Giants won't work against iron golems, there's still time for him to grab a +3 weapon from the party's stockpile in the New Verdigris vault in SOTSB, before I transfer the party to POD.)

Reply 2 of 6, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mam, I love the old Gold Box games myself. And if the character (the ranger) can hold on to an extra sword, then do it. Cause that sounds like a better idea, than hoping for the sword against giants is good enough, or else you can take a backup of your save game in SOTSB (copy the game folder to another place) and then you can try to import the characters into POD from the "main" SOTSB folder, and see what the Long Sword vs. Giants will give in +.

Reply 3 of 6, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sure my ranger has a spare inventory slot for an extra sword, so I can certainly try doing that. Once he has both swords in his inventory, I could try having him equip each sword & see which one he can do more damage with -- which would be another way of determining the Long Sword vs. Giants' + bonus. 😉

Reply 4 of 6, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CatherineMcClarey wrote:

I'm sure my ranger has a spare inventory slot for an extra sword, so I can certainly try doing that. Once he has both swords in his inventory, I could try having him equip each sword & see which one he can do more damage with -- which would be another way of determining the Long Sword vs. Giants' + bonus. 😉

Have fun playing POD, cause it was my first SSI rpg, after Eye Of The Beholder 2(On The Amiga, by the way). And as I said, have some serious fun with POD 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From my experience with D&D and AD&D most + specific weapons were +1 vs anything and +3 vs their specific foe type. When levels and difficulty started rating +3 weapons as the common type, then they might be +3 vs all +5 vs specific. I would assume these are +3 vs Giants. But I don't think Golems are considered Giants and also Malik may be correct, and magic maces, hammers might do more against Golem types. How's that for muddying the waters 😉