Common searches

Most disappointing games?

Topic actions

Reply 480 of 532, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-23, 02:30:
Now that you mention it, the text adventures on C64 come to mind. Some had vector graphics, too. Many were in the Public Domain […]
Show full quote
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-01-23, 02:19:

I've seen better games from 80s and 90s programmed by children than some of the junk we get now from triple-A studios.

Now that you mention it, the text adventures on C64 come to mind.
Some had vector graphics, too. Many were in the Public Domain (PD).
Public Domain software was the precursor to Freeware/Shareware (popular in the 90s).

Other types of games were also written by minors at the time.
It was the era of the socalled "bed room programmers".

Edit: At the time, some games were also written by father/son (Warpath! on Win31?) and/or husband/wife (Sierra On-Line founders).
Team work in the family was a thing, at the time.
The VGA game "Supernova" in the early 90s was made by two brothers, afaik.

Rand, Robin and Ryan Miller - the cyan brothers!

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 482 of 532, by IBMFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Simfarm. If you planted low level crop the town grew on you and you went bankrupt eventually. If you planted oranges you won under 2 hours. Very unbalanced game.

Quake 3 Arena. Most of us had 28-56K modems at the time and at 4-800 ping the game was unplayable. There were master players who could do well even at 400 pings but I developed PTSD because instead of aiming properly I had to aim somewhere else and pray that I hit the enemy 400 ms later. The single player bots were weak so I chose UT instead that had much lower system requirements and superior single player. Ironically I started playing Q3A a lot after I started my internship at a company with a whopping 30 Mbit connection. Playing Q3 with less than 20 ping made the multiplayer awesome.

Unreal 2. It was so bad that I actually looked up if this was a fan made pack or an official release.

Crysis series. The dumb AI ruined the whole thing and you could win every battle by abusing the cloak. Cloak - shoot - cloak again and the AI just couldn't keep up at any difficulty.

Star Trek Starfleet Command 3. Liked the campaign battles and mods, hated the bugs that ruined the whole game. The conquest was exciting until you got the best ship then it was just a chore. The AI was also dumb so defeating high class battleships with shitty cruisers was easy.

Quake 4. It felt like a Doom 3 lite edition. I didn't even know why they released it in the same year as D3 ROE.

Stalker - Call of Pripyat. It was so bland that I couldn't even finish it.

GTA IV. It had a fun story but it was way too easy. I'm not a hardcore gamer but it seemed like it was designed for players with less experience. I also hated the taxi service that ruined the whole "driving around and familiarizing yourself with the city" part of the game. Why drive around when you can just use fast travel literally anywhere? I missed the crazy peds and drivers of SA where you hit a car and the guy started chasing you like a madman. It was severely toned down in IV just like the effects of a wanted level.

Classic Doom series with all the wall hugging for secrets and the headache of wandering around trying to find a path or a switch. I recently started playing fan wads and some of them are so much better and funnier than the old maps.

Wolf3D. Same reason, too much walking around and too much wallfucking.

Half life 1 but only because I played it after HL2. It was probably mind blowing back in the day.

Medal of honor 2010. Filled with glitches: npcs getting stuck, scripts not triggering, sudden crashes and the infamous hellfire bug. It was also the game that was banned on military bases because the player had the ability to play as the taliban in multi. They didn't like the idea of their own soldiers playing as a taliban trying to liberate their home from a joint american-european invasion. 😁

Minecraft. Not because the game was bad or anything, I just didn't like the style and still don't understand the hype.

Rage. Yet another example of a too easy FPS even on nightmare. The whole racing and car upgrade part was pointless because you didn't actually have to win anything other than 1-2 mandatory races where you had to beat a seriously weak opponent who never had a chance. So you just drove around, shot a few bandit cars, continued with the story and drove around again. Rinse and repeat, got boring quickly. The game was also waaaaaaaay too generous with the ammo so it was obviously designed for trigger happy players. The shop offered every major gun and upgrades way too early instead of making the player work for it. I never understood how those people living in the middle of the desert or a fucking metro tunnel managed to get top of the line weapons and endless munitions when they barely had clean water and canned dogfood was considered a delicacy. The end part was a huge disappointment with the weak robotic mutants running around and no final boss. Just shoot the mutants, align the satellite and bam, over. They should've kept the giant mutant from the lost city as a final boss to add some excitement. Loved the sound of the combat shotgun though, volume at max tearing through mutants. That was nice.

Battlefield 1942. Again, the game was probably okay but I hated the capture the flag idea and expected a regular shooter. Just not my style.

System shock 2. I loved the game in 1999 but as an adult I can see the major flaws. The poor gun degradation system, the weak psi implants that made the classes unbalanced, too much ammo later in the game, ineffective laser weapons compared to standard weapons, too many insta-upgrades for guns that made the modify skill pointless, exotic weapons that appeared too late in the game and performed poorly compared to standard and heavy weapons you probably maxed already, severely overpowered grenade launcher and assault rifle, too much cash lying around. It didn't age well for me.
Doom 2016. I'm old, it's too much of a button mashing chaos for me.

Honorable mentions I generally hated in games: auto balancing feature that's on by default and you need to edit ini files to change it, automatically opening-closing doors, rubber banding of any kind, games that need constant online presence, endless farming, endlessly respawning enemies, games without a password that forced you to finish it in one sitting, no pause, anything that prevents you from 100% custom mapping the keys, a game that has a checkpoint like every 10 steps and treats the player like an idiot, forced stealth missions in games you have to run a 100 times until you memorize every guard and corner even though you killed like 500 soldiers before, scripted main events that have a teeny-tiny trigger point you need to find, button/door mazes and platforming in action-oriented FPS games, unlimited/huge ammo capacity in games that are supposed to be somewhat realistic, games without a demo so I can't get a taste first before committing to a non-refundable game.

- edit paragraphing

Reply 483 of 532, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i suppose if we considered only games where the disappointment was evident because our expectations were high then the lists would shrink

lots of games have weaknesses but i never expected perfection from them so was not disappointed. silly AI in lots of games for instance, its ok because i kind of expected it

i'd mention gta iv. environments looked great and levels of interaction seemed improved. coming from gta sa expections were very high but the disapointing elements were:

1) silly requirements for running smoothly on a PC at the time
2) having to tone down social interactions because they turned out to be quite boring to play more than once
3) the worst - driving - just a mess of swirling camera angles and cars that apparently used soap for tyres made one of the main draws of gta games into a chore. it's 'cool' to accuse those complainers of this of not being skilful enough - i don't care, i did fine in all the other gta games, why break this aspect

other than that, great game i suppose....

i'd add perhaps almost any rpg from dos days - yes there were strong points but in the end they tended to be clunky in control and obscure in presentation so as to break the fantasy that the game box promised, forgivable though back then

also the promise of near infinite worlds to explore - as in elite and the expansive world of daggerfall. in the end the necessary repetitiveness destroys the illusion of a vast area to explore

Reply 485 of 532, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ultima IX I remember being a massive wet fart at the time.

I had never played an Ultima before. But the previews in CGW and the legacy of the series had me hyped beyond belief. I had just gotten into RPGs, cutting my teeth on Might & Magic VI, Fallout and Baldur's Gate. And along come these previews for the final entry in the legendary grand daddy of all CRPG series. I started visiting all these Ultima fansites, like Ultima Dragaons(?). I even picked up The Ultima Collection and beat the first 3 games. If I recall correctly, the CD they came on even had a walkthrough in a doc file.

Ultima IX started with some serious gravitas. Came with all sorts of feelies. I think I still have the cloth map it came with somewhere. I remember being blown away at the fidelity of the Avatar's house you begin in. But the gaps in the façade showed very quickly. I think I eventually beat it with a walkthrough, including skipping an entire dungeon by using a teleport spell to skip through a locked door? Working off 23 year old memories at this point. The entire experience was pure jank, trying to circumvent bugs, and saving constantly in multiple slots for fear of game crashes or bugged game states.

I registered my game, and was eventually mailed a replacement install disc that was pre-patched. I also got a copy of Ultima Online with a month on the house as apology for the quality of Ultima IX. I think I enjoyed that month in Ultima Online more than Ultima IX.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 486 of 532, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2023-01-25, 12:18:

On a Hype vs Reality basis, Rise of the Robots was quite high on the disappointment list.

I was waiting for someone to mention that one...
What fascinated me of rise is the era it's from, like Myst and many of Psygnosis games like Microcosm and Lifeforce Tenka, they were games that were easier to enjoy as more of an art exhibit than a rush of thrills, But rise struck me as a very incomplete product - esp. in the AI department and the fact you can't turn around in a fighting game is just criminal by any standards! (pacman2600 anyone?)

I wonder though if it could be remade for todays systems and like, keeps all the promises of "high IQ AI" and I dunno, "realtime raytraced 3D at blahblab rate by blah frames..."
"AI generated branches for random story outcomes" and perhaps some interesting robot designs, surely it wouldn't disappoint more than what cyberpunk 2077 supposedly did?
-
Rise2Resurrection was passable and fixed the gutting 2player mode, but it goes for really silly money now on any format.
Best robot fighter would be One must fall 2049 or Virtua-On, both were great, and Robo-pit for those with more kawaii tastes.
Sorry, I have held a lifelong love for robots since i got my first tin toy one at age5 - feel free to PM me about more robot games and progs, esp for DOS, ps1/ps2 and segaCD, or anything bionical for that matter.

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 487 of 532, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IBMFan wrote on 2023-01-25, 11:30:

I like the game. It's very slow-paced but the exploration of desolate buildings is my cup of tea.

The only thing that's obvious is that they planned vehicles and were never able to finish them. The maps feel way too big to run around on foot.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 489 of 532, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2023-01-25, 22:12:
IBMFan wrote on 2023-01-25, 11:30:

I like the game. It's very slow-paced but the exploration of desolate buildings is my cup of tea.

The only thing that's obvious is that they planned vehicles and were never able to finish them. The maps feel way too big to run around on foot.

yes that's true, i liked the setting but now you mention it the walking did take quite long, long enough to become a bit dull even

the camps and buildings, the look of things and the NPCs was all very good though

Reply 490 of 532, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To me, the main strength of Half-Life 1 always relied on the fun weapon mechanics, the varied stock maps and the chaos and mayhem that can be found on multiplayer.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 491 of 532, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried several times to play Half-Life 1 but found it so painfully boring that I couldn't ever play it for more than a half hour to an hour at most. I found HL2 equally boring, but played it further because of the novelty of the graphics. But I quickly got bored of that game as well.

I never found the story compelling or interesting enough to be attractive. I was also very put off in HL2 with everyone smiling all the time. It felt so unnatural and stilted.

Reply 492 of 532, by Baleog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-01-28, 07:13:

I tried several times to play Half-Life 1 but found it so painfully boring that I couldn't ever play it for more than a half hour to an hour at most. I found HL2 equally boring, but played it further because of the novelty of the graphics. But I quickly got bored of that game as well.

I never found the story compelling or interesting enough to be attractive. I was also very put off in HL2 with everyone smiling all the time. It felt so unnatural and stilted.

Did you play any of the HL2 episodes? I have tried several times to play HL1 but i just dont enjoy it either. Not even back in the days. In contrast HL2 including the episodes (and Alex) is one of my absolute favourite series of games.

Mixed PCs - Midi racks - Micros and more

Reply 493 of 532, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have grown dead tired of the whole 1st person shooter genre tbh. It happened something after Bioshock Infinite. Or maybe it is the moral lessons from Sunday school that finally kicked in after 35 years.. (not likely)

Reply 495 of 532, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote on 2023-02-04, 15:53:

I got bored watching the long-winded intro scene to HL1, so I shut the game down and never went back to it. I had played the demo, and even then wondered why it was so popular.

This was my first experience as well. Why was the intro so long. Why was this thing so popular?

Contemporary me never understood it.

Reply 496 of 532, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you thought the intro to Half Life was too long, you're either too young to have played it when it came out, or a hipster. I suppose you could also have been a mac only user at the time.

Reply 497 of 532, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2023-02-04, 05:47:

I have grown dead tired of the whole 1st person shooter genre tbh. It happened something after Bioshock Infinite. Or maybe it is the moral lessons from Sunday school that finally kicked in after 35 years.. (not likely)

I can relate to this. I was an FPS fanatic from when I first discovered Doom in probably 94 or so, to around when Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 came out. After that the whole genre just felt incredibly played out. I felt like I'd shot every conceivable thing that could be shot, with every conceivable thing that shoots, in every conceivable place you should shoot something. The graphics got better, but the fundamental gameplay never seemed to improve, if anything it seemed to regress. I'm reminded of the satirical, or prophetic, If Doom was done today

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 498 of 532, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2023-02-04, 16:56:

If you thought the intro to Half Life was too long, you're either too young to have played it when it came out, or a hipster. I suppose you could also have been a mac only user at the time.

Hahaha! I'm over 60, and I've been a PC user since 1986. Too old maybe.

Namrok wrote on 2023-02-04, 17:03:

.... I'm reminded of the satirical, or prophetic, If Doom was done today

If Quake was done today