Most disappointing games?

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 532, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lo Wang wrote:

I wonder, though, what your view is on Shadow Warrior (1997), the original mutant slicer; not being realistic, does it still disturb you?

I'd say gore is the least controversial aspect of that game. It was sure funny, though.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 321 of 532, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do remember the shuriken ban and it's relation to the choice replacement weapon in the UK version of SW, but that was far from a controversy in the context of a big debate and things being taken to court or what have you. Carmageddon, on the other hand, that was a different story.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 322 of 532, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lo Wang wrote:

I do remember the shuriken ban and it's relation to the choice replacement weapon in the UK version of SW, but that was far from a controversy in the context of a big debate and things being taken to court or what have you. Carmageddon, on the other hand, that was a different story.

I was thinking some might consider it a might bit racist.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 323 of 532, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well that's news for me, but if it makes them happy, let them dwell in it.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 324 of 532, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hated SW in single player

It's fun for a DM lan though, particularly custom vehicle maps. Probably because the offensive stereotypes are reduced to only just the player (who still can't shut up) and there's some novelty gameplay gimmicks to make up for it and it's a real damn shame General Arcade is not bothering with adding multiplayer to their Redux edition.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 325 of 532, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think it's a healthy thing to be so full of ourselves that we can't even take a joke.

If I had had a problem with the stereotypical portrayal of whites in video games, boy, would I have missed some good stuff.

But take a look at Lo Wang's very own character; was he even grotesquely caricaturized or dumbed down as were the main characters from Redneck Rampage? of course not. Asians actually got the better deal.

Reply 326 of 532, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Crysis 3: great technology, great budget, great voice acting.....half crysis 2 lenght. Totally flat story (no fuzzy interactions between Cephs and Prophet, now more Ceph than ever). More an expansion than a game.

Reply 327 of 532, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shadow Warrior was alright for Gore, it's cartoonish so therefore fine. That said even though I now own a full copy I can't say I played it too much, Blood and Duke3d on the other hand I played all the time. 🤣

Redneck Rampage was a pretty terrible game btw since you mentioned it, and not because it's offensive. I delight in the mocking of country bumpkins but the gameplay just sucked, music was boring and sfx were painfully repetitive.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 328 of 532, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd say Redneck Rampage was sufficiently enjoyable, specially the sequel. It's not Blood or Shadow Warrior, but I'd play it any day over Duke Nukem 3D, which's fine within the boundaries of the first couple levels in every episode but quickly becomes helplessly repetitive because of overall generic design.

Country bumkin jokes are alright, but I prefer Jim Crow era stuff. Too bad there aren't any good games that major on it.

Reply 329 of 532, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
lowenz wrote:

Crysis 3: great technology, great budget, great voice acting.....half crysis 2 lenght. Totally flat story (no fuzzy interactions between Cephs and Prophet, now more Ceph than ever). More an expansion than a game.

IMHO Crysis 3 was all about Psycho being a crybaby because he lost his suit.

Reply 330 of 532, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rod Primitive wrote:
lowenz wrote:

IMHO Crysis 3 was all about Psycho being a crybaby because he lost his suit.

That was intended (comic elements+delusional elements)....but bad developed. As the rest of the story. As the rest of old characters intruduced with Crysis 2.
A great opportunity totally lost.

Reply 332 of 532, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rod Primitive wrote:
"They took me focking suit, Prophet!" - later - "Piss off, mate! I don't need a focking diving suit." […]
Show full quote

"They took me focking suit, Prophet!"
- later -
"Piss off, mate! I don't need a focking diving suit."

Oh, did Crytek mention he's british as all hell?

Psycho IS british in the game too.

Reply 333 of 532, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lo Wang wrote:

I'd say Redneck Rampage was sufficiently enjoyable, specially the sequel. It's not Blood or Shadow Warrior, but I'd play it any day over Duke Nukem 3D, which's fine within the boundaries of the first couple levels in every episode but quickly becomes helplessly repetitive because of overall generic design.

Country bumkin jokes are alright, but I prefer Jim Crow era stuff. Too bad there aren't any good games that major on it.

Being from the south, and raised in the foot hills of the Appalachian mountains, I couldn't get enough of Redneck Rampage when it came out. I knew way too many people that honestly sounded just like Bubba and Leonard, so it didn't feel so over the top to me. I just enjoyed everything about the first game. Part two on the other hand was just so bland, and had no character whatsoever IMHO. But of all the Lithtech games, Blood was my personal favorite and I still have the need to play through it once or twice a year. There is something cool about playing an undead gun slinger from the old west coming back in the Edwardian era with some spiritual horror stuff mixed in.

Reply 335 of 532, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

Singularity (a bit slow in places, but when it works it's fantastic),

Absolutely agree, criminally underrated game.

I've found it too short and easy. Similar situation with many today games.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 336 of 532, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

The Voodoo doll was brilliant.

Yes, one of my favorite weapons of any FPS. Those goofy bug eyes still make me laugh every time it gets pulled out. 😄

Reply 338 of 532, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kodai wrote:

Being from the south, and raised in the foot hills of the Appalachian mountains, I couldn't get enough of Redneck Rampage when it came out. I knew way too many people that honestly sounded just like Bubba and Leonard, so it didn't feel so over the top to me

That's the very thing about stereotypes that most people don't get; they're true, and so we observe them and preserve them. Only they don't necessarily apply to particular group in it's entirety.

Kodai wrote:

I just enjoyed everything about the first game. Part two on the other hand was just so bland, and had no character whatsoever IMHO

The level design on the first one was pretty flat compared to the other build games from that time period, partially because of the limitations of the engine they settled for. I remember running to and fro, almost disoriented in very large, same-looking areas seeking to solve the puzzle after everything was dead and not really getting all that much out of the game after a while. The sequel improved on this aspect, introduced many neat elements and that's why I like it better, but I do agree it never had the same charm, let alone the same impact.

Kodai wrote:

But of all the Lithtech games, Blood was my personal favorite and I still have the need to play through it once or twice a year

I take this to mean "Monolith games". There's Blood 2 which was in fact, based on the LithTech engine, but you can't possibly be talking about it.

Anyways, Blood is the absolute favorite, a masterpiece worthy of praise and honor, and there's definitely that "something" to it that keeps us coming back, even just to play through same levels we've been familiar with for centuries.

I think it was Blood that actually received a perfect rating from AdrenalineVault back in the day, and for good reason.

Reply 339 of 532, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Besides Star Control 3, other games I've bought and stopped to play in the very beginning:
Blood 2 - it was too wrong, compared to 1st part
Max Payne - have seemed boring. those slow-motion jumps.. nah

Last edited by Tertz on 2016-02-14, 20:16. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide