Common searches

Most disappointing games?

Topic actions

Reply 460 of 467, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks guys, I was the assistant US producer on that Eurocom SSF2T port to PC. There were a couple move animations that were too much to maintain memory requirements and of course the screen is a little smaller playfield wise but I thought Eurocom did an amazing job. I got to spend some time playing in an arcade to compare while we were working on it, not that I hadnt probably already logged thousands of hours playing Street Fighter.

It's funny according to Moby games neither myself or the producer Travis Williams are credited as producers. I know Travis left a couple weeks before the game went gold and I finished up what little remained but I thought at least he would be in the credits given he drove most of the dev effort.

Reply 461 of 467, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2022-04-01, 14:55:

Thanks guys, I was the assistant US producer on that Eurocom SSF2T port to PC. There were a couple move animations that were too much to maintain memory requirements and of course the screen is a little smaller playfield wise but I thought Eurocom did an amazing job. I got to spend some time playing in an arcade to compare while we were working on it, not that I hadnt probably already logged thousands of hours playing Street Fighter.

It's funny according to Moby games neither myself or the producer Travis Williams are credited as producers. I know Travis left a couple weeks before the game went gold and I finished up what little remained but I thought at least he would be in the credits given he drove most of the dev effort.

Did you get any support/feedback from Capcom when working on that one? I understand the SSF2T port is newer and could target faster machines than the original U.S. Gold SF2, but the difference in quality is huge. It seems a lot more care and effort was put into making it as close as possible to the arcade.

Reply 463 of 467, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow. That is a heck of a feather in your cap. Huge! Very well done. You might not have gotten the credits/kudos deserved in some quarters, but the quality of the work certainly did not go unnoticed. Dare I say it, it was probably the best-produced fighting game port that the PC scene saw in that decade. I can't think of any worthy challengers offhand (afaicr, only MK1 and 2 need apply, and I don't think they quite matched the overall pizazz and complexity of the SSF2T port, given all the factors in play).

Certain industry factors beyond your control dictated that such a port was unable to be a commercial world-beater - I mean lack of viable fight controller options for most PC owners, the awkward/clunky CDROM + 'multimedia PC' concepts coming-of-age, massively burgeoning competition from consoles, the much smaller market, and the like - but that's not for lack of quality. I can scarcely imagine how it could have been done better. Cheers!

Reply 464 of 467, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2022-03-26, 15:13:

I know you all are going to shoot me but I HATE all the Dark souls games. They control poorly and simply require a bunch of replay and memorization, terrible gameplay traits. I've tried to play several of these games a few times always thinking I must be missing something and each time I come away realizing they are crap.

I feel like in another decade or so everyone will admit this to be true...espcially if From actually releases a game that doesn't control like moving dog poop across the ground with a stick of butter.

Come at me bro.

Played Demon Souls on PS3 and Dark Souls on PC for a bit but didn't hold my interest and agree with you that it relies heavily on convoluted controls with you being your own cameraman as well as moving your character around which makes these games harder than they need to be. And as for it's atmosphere, meh can't hold a candle against the likes of Stalker or Diablo.
As a whole I think Japanese (console) games in general are overrated and their best days were in the arcades.

Other games that dissappoint me, War Thunder, World of Tank/Warships, Elite Dangerous and potentially Star Citizen.
War Thunder really is a game I would like. Cold War era jets, not too difficult flightmodel and nice graphics but it's all let down by boring repetitive online gameplay, endless grind and greedy moneysqueeze.
Same can be said to most of the other mentioned games.

Reply 465 of 467, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-02, 22:25:

Wow. That is a heck of a feather in your cap. Huge! Very well done. You might not have gotten the credits/kudos deserved in some quarters, but the quality of the work certainly did not go unnoticed. Dare I say it, it was probably the best-produced fighting game port that the PC scene saw in that decade. I can't think of any worthy challengers offhand (afaicr, only MK1 and 2 need apply, and I don't think they quite matched the overall pizazz and complexity of the SSF2T port, given all the factors in play).

Certain industry factors beyond your control dictated that such a port was unable to be a commercial world-beater - I mean lack of viable fight controller options for most PC owners, the awkward/clunky CDROM + 'multimedia PC' concepts coming-of-age, massively burgeoning competition from consoles, the much smaller market, and the like - but that's not for lack of quality. I can scarcely imagine how it could have been done better. Cheers!

The US version of SSF2T came with an offer for a 6 button gamepad. I don't know if that was only the initial release or how many other countries got this but I wish we could have included the actual controller in the box. I think I still have the one I got from work, though not entirely sure where.

I would also say all of the thanks really goes to the Eurocom team who I praised on a regular basis.

Reply 466 of 467, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2022-04-03, 16:36:

The US version of SSF2T came with an offer for a 6 button gamepad. I don't know if that was only the initial release or how many other countries got this but I wish we could have included the actual controller in the box. I think I still have the one I got from work, though not entirely sure where.

Yes, the PC Fighter 6 (which was also shipped with some copies of Mega Man X for the PC). The most important thing is that the games (Mega Man X and Super Street Fighter II Turbo) had to be specially coded to support the 6 buttons, since it was not a native capability in DOS. This makes the port all that more impressive. 😀

Still, as a keyboard player, I wish it had bult-in support for using the gamepad diagonals for directional diagonals, so DF, DB, UF, UB could have been executed with a single keypress. 😜

Edit: Maybe it was this controller that shipped with SSF2T.

Last edited by dr_st on 2022-04-05, 14:46. Edited 1 time in total.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 467 of 467, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this is an old post, but...

leileilol wrote on 2010-09-25, 18:21:

Half-Life 2

To be honest, Half-Life 2 didn't interest me much when it was new either, even less now.

Though that could be due to the fact that it no longer uses the GoldSrc engine. 😅

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁