Common searches

looking for a turn based game.

Topic actions

First post, by nikiniki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I'm going to buy a turn based strategy game but i don't know which.

A game outside Civilization games. I use Windows Vista.

Reply 1 of 21, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some I really enjoyed in no particular order:
King's Bounty
Heroes of Might and Magic 5
1701 A.D (Anno 1701)
Dawn of Discovery (Anno 1404)
Space Rangers 2

Some oldies:
Lords of the Realm 2
Lords of Magic: Special Edition

Reply 5 of 21, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Warlords 1, 2 and 2 deluxe.

2 deluxe happens to be my most favorite, as it comes with Scenario editor that enables non-fantasy scenarios like World War I, city-landlord rivalries, alien warfare, and such.

bushwack wrote:

King's Bounty

Which one? The original DOS version, or the new version?

Anyway, if you don't mind squad turn-based games, then I may suggest the following:
X-Com: UFO Defense.
Jagged Alliance.
Fallout Tactics.

Reply 6 of 21, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Something turn based but not in the strategy vein is the RPG Temple of Elemental Evil. Arguably the best turn based strategic combat RPG ever (and oft criticised as the most boring RPG ever, for the same reason) . Not sure if there is a Vista patch.

Reply 7 of 21, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

since the fifth number of the series of HOMM has been mentioned, I would recommend number 2, 3 , 4 and the Tarnum saga of that particular games series too. I have a particular fondness of number 2 in that series, even though number five is awesome too and the two expansions of that game, which are Hammer Of Fate and Tribes Of The East. KAN, 2 Deluxe of warlords is my favourite too, and old acquaintance. He loved to play when he had the hangovers. But Master Of Orion 1 and 2 are pretty damn good turn based games too.

Reply 8 of 21, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckrogers wrote:

Something turn based but not in the strategy vein is the RPG Temple of Elemental Evil. Arguably the best turn based strategic combat RPG ever (and oft criticised as the most boring RPG ever, for the same reason) . Not sure if there is a Vista patch.

I think it's the most brutal RPG to date. I can't remember if I tried to play after the patches, all I remember is my party being a bunch of pansies dieing over and over again.

Reply 9 of 21, by buckrogers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I played a bit with the Tof8 mod. Perseverance is key. I managed to win around three battles with the frogs in the swamp, and another one against humans in the fort. Either you get your battle tactics right, and have some lucky rolls of the dice, or die...

Reply 10 of 21, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmmm...a "turn based strategy game", eh? That's a generic name encompassing a genre of a huge catalogue! (Including Chess! 😁 -jk)

Right now, thousands of games (ok, so, only a few...😁) are running circles in my mind, and I don't know which ones to pluck and put down for selection...

If the theme of the desired TBS is let known, we can zero in to that particular group.

For example, Wargames, Heroes of Might&Magic group, Battle Isle style, TBS-oriented RPG battles, Console style RPG TBS battles - like Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc., etc.

If any theme would do, then what everyone recommended here will fully satisfy the conditon. All the games mentioned above are excellent ones!

Last edited by Malik on 2010-09-30, 08:27. Edited 1 time in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 21, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

since the fifth number of the series of HOMM has been mentioned, I would recommend number 2, 3 , 4 and the Tarnum saga of that particular games series too. I have a particular fondness of number 2 in that series,

Ah, same here. There's a lot of things I like about Heroes 2 of Might and Magc:
(1) the graphics. Not as cartoonish as the first HOMM, but more vibrant than HOMM3.
(2) the magic. Yes, some may argue that magic in HOMM 2 is too much powerful (and nothing more annoying than a powerful enemy spellcaster wasting your precious troops with chain lightning or death ripple, only to run away afterward), but I always find that HOMM 3 spellcasters are too weak that it is almost pointless to play them.
(3) the balance --or the imbalance. Yes, a Phoenix is way weaker than a Black Dragon, but you can build them much earlier. It is almost like StarCraft or Command and Conquer, where each faction has its own strength and weakness. HOMM 3, on the other hand, feels almost like WarCraft 2. I have to admit such comparison is not entirely accurate, as Inferno creatures are weaker but easier to build than, say, Castle creatures. But the differences between factions are not as distinctive as in HOMM 2.

WolverineDK wrote:

KAN, 2 Deluxe of warlords is my favourite too

Yup. I still play the game last year. 😀

@nikiniki: if you don't mind tinkering with virtual machines, then I would suggest Hasbro's Axis & Allies.

Reply 14 of 21, by nikiniki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just found Alpha Centauri
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sid-meiers-alpha-centauri

No one mentions it. Is it good?

Here my list turn based games I own.

Conquest of the new world
It's a great game but passed 100 turns, the game begins to bug.

Civilization II multiplayer edition:
It's also a good game but it always ends at 2000 year.

I'm looking for games when you conquer ennemy's towns, build armies, take care farms and other stuff...

Sorry if I didn't mention it at the begin of the topic.

Reply 15 of 21, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nikiniki wrote:

A big yes, especially when you also get the Alien Crossfire expansion pack.. However, it plays like Civilization. You said you don't want Civ-like games.

nikiniki wrote:

Do you have the latest patch?

nikiniki wrote:

I'm looking for games when you conquer ennemy's towns, build armies, take care farms and other stuff...

Heroes of Might and Magic series falls into the category, and so does Warlords series --minus the farm.

Reply 16 of 21, by nikiniki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
nikiniki wrote:

A big yes, especially when you also get the Alien Crossfire expansion pack.. However, it plays like Civilization. You said you don't want Civ-like games.

I didn't check Alpha Centauri on wikipedia. It has year limit like Civilization.

nikiniki wrote:

Do you have the latest patch?

Is there a patch for Conquest of the new world deluxe edition?

Reply 17 of 21, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nikiniki wrote:

I didn't check Alpha Centauri on wikipedia. It has year limit like Civilization.

Not only that, the game mechanics are the same. It doesn't make SMAC a bad game, though. The game mechanics of Master of Magic are similar to those of Civilization, but MoM is a good game.

nikiniki wrote:

Is there a patch for Conquest of the new world deluxe edition?

Hmmm... not sure of that.

Reply 18 of 21, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Age of Wonders series. Best turn based games ever.

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 19 of 21, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Paradise Cracked is also a good game IMHO.

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW