VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some time ago I got some old computers for free. I got some of them to work, and messed around with them. On one of them I found a demo version of SODA Off-road racing. I start it up, and guess what happens? The image on the monitor starts warping like crazy and shifts to the left. I immediatly closed the game and unplugged the monitor, since the power button didn't respond. Now I have a monitor that won't turn off if you change the resolution when using it, and doesn't go into power-saving mode when there is no input. It also smells like burning plastic when used.

Discuss how you've accidentally damaged/broken CRT equipment.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 1 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lol, I was once at my running computer and had put a glass of wine on top of the CRT. Of course I bumped it and the contents spilled right into the CRT, the image began to dance!!!
I quickly unplugged the power cord and thought "Ok, this one is toast".

So I went looking around and found some company that had went bankrupt selling old CRT's for I think €10 each (this was like 2003/2004 or so) and got a "new" 14.5in one.
Fast forward a couple years I decided to open up the old 15in (I didn't have the heart to bin it) and saw that, apart from the red stains, I didn't see or smell anything burnt.
So I put it in the garden (in case it went BOOM!) and started her up...and she was fine? 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 17, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hardware often is surprisingly tough when splashed with drinks. Once I managed to spill half a can of beer onto my 8KTA3+Pro board. It seemed dead at first, but it was working again when I tested it years later.

At work someone spilled coffee into his 19" CRT. The monitor was fine after a few days of drying, but it had to be thrown out anyway because it began reeking of sour milk 😵.

Reply 4 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
Lol, I was once at my running computer and had put a glass of wine on top of the CRT. Of course I bumped it and the contents spi […]
Show full quote

Lol, I was once at my running computer and had put a glass of wine on top of the CRT. Of course I bumped it and the contents spilled right into the CRT, the image began to dance!!!
I quickly unplugged the power cord and thought "Ok, this one is toast".

So I went looking around and found some company that had went bankrupt selling old CRT's for I think €10 each (this was like 2003/2004 or so) and got a "new" 14.5in one.
Fast forward a couple years I decided to open up the old 15in (I didn't have the heart to bin it) and saw that, apart from the red stains, I didn't see or smell anything burnt.
So I put it in the garden (in case it went BOOM!) and started her up...and she was fine? 🤣

And THAT folks, is how the usage of alcohol on computer parts originated! 🤣

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Can *anyone* please fix the topic 😀 it's driving me nuts... 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 17, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I didn't break it but had a 17" KDS monitor I had bought when I was a kid with my own money, after a couple of years the screen would distort colors and become curved in the corners. Once I got it open though I had found that there was bad solder connections on the convegence yoke. Once I got it all soldered back up it worked great. Still have it with me even today. I'm such a pack rat 😀

I did have a Television back then as well that went out one day due to how hot it was and would only work when cooled down. I tried new horizontal output and resoldering the board but found it most likely to be a bad flyback tranformer which I didn't care about replacing.

Sorry, my stories suck

Reply 13 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Aaaarrrghhh! 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it's WORKING!!!

😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Time to tie Svenne up and bring a very large kettle with peck and feathers 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 17, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once got mad at my old CRT 14" monitor that was bright as hell and I kinda wanted to 'show him whats it like' so I took a desk lamp, placed it directly in front of the screen and turned it on - after a second or two, the screen turned off itself. Afterward, at first it didnt work, but after it cooled down it worked again. 😀