VOGONS

Common searches

Damn SP1, it's driving me mad!!

Topic actions

First post, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Argh, I'm truly exasperated by this annoying bug in Windows 7 SP1 (final public version)

It seems that the "System" process keeps a handle open whenever I press SHIFT+DEL to erase an executable file (.EXE)

And when it does that, the file quickly reappears in Windows Explorer. Naturally, you're tempted to delete it again, but "System" is still locking the file and it will reappear as soon as you press F5 to refresh the screen. You can, of course, delete it again, but it soon becomes obvious that Windows is much more stubborn than you, and HE will always prevail! 🙁

This bug didn't occur before SP1. And it's driven me so mad that I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7 with SP1 again from scratch.

And, guess what? THE DAMN BUG IS STILL THERE!!

AARHGHGHHGHG!!

PS: I'm seriously considering reverting back to Windows 7 pre-sp1.

I don't like to go backwards when it comes to windows updates, but this bug is so horrendously annoying that I'm willing to reinstall YET AGAIN (and this time to Windows 7 without SP1) in order to get rid of it!!

Reply 1 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been running SP1 for almost a month and no problems whatsoever
clearly it appears your problem is isolated as I've never heard of this before (I do frequent the other forums that discusses modern windows)

Reply 2 of 56, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Then I think it must be one of the tweaks I do whenever I install Windows.

I always disable a (quite sizeable) bunch of services, but now it seems that Windows 7 with SP1 has become a bit intolerant of my tweaks.

Oh,well, now I guess I'll have to do one tweak at a time, until I find the culprit...

Reply 3 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there's less reason for me to disable services in 7 than previous windows... doing it have no performance impact and just ends up breaking things... I followed blackviper's guide in disabling services when I started using 7... it turns out I only disabled like 3 or 4... the rest I really needed.... in the end, it turned off features that I didn't think the services affected, so my conclusion was "more trouble than it's work"

sp1 does change which services automatically run and stuff... you should check the black viper guide again if you haven't

Reply 7 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll skip W7 SP1 (just calling it SP1 is kinda confusing, since theres so many out here in 2011, Lol!) until they iron the bugs out 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 56, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed. Going by that "logic" you wouldn't install any service packs at all, let alone any new OS, because bug-free software doesn't exist. Besides, SP1 has been available in beta form since 10/2010 IIRC, so there's very little risk of serious issues.

I'd say the OP's problem is caused by his own "tweaking", or by a user error. I've deleted lots of files on my system since I've installed SP1 a few days ago, and they were all gone after i've deletem them (; . You're not trying to delete files from the %SystemRoot% (usually c:\Windows), are you?

Reply 10 of 56, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are we sure this isn't a varation of the securom shell extension bug?

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 56, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's what I thought at first, DosFreak, because the symptoms were very similar. But I have deleted almost everything using Sysinternals Autoruns, and securom was one of the first things I obliterated.

Upon more investigation, I found something interesting: If you try to close the open handle using Process Explorer it will give an error saying "Invalid handle" and will refuse to close it.

However, rebooting windows is enough to force a close of the handle, and the offending file will be deleted upon restarting!

I've also tried to do various things to the file while it is being held in this "strange" state, and I've noticed that all of the NTFS ACL permissions are gone. I cannot even see the owner of the file or modify any permissions.

I've tried to change the permissions of the parent folder and to force inheritance in all the child folders, but then Windows will give an error saying that this particular file cannot be modified.

Then, today, I've done a few more tweaks (I've disabled all the startup event trace sessions I could find), and miraculously the bug is now gone!! Yeaaah!!

But I think I've gone a bit overboard and I've disabled more than I should, because the event log is no longer working...

Could someone please post a screenshot of this screen (I was stupid enough to not write the options down before changing them!)

startupevent.png

Reply 12 of 56, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Attached is what mine shows.

But good lord, what the hell sort of "tweaks" are you doing that involves messing about with all that stuff? 😒

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard01.jpg
    File size
    55.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ADDiCT wrote:

Indeed. Going by that "logic" you wouldn't install any service packs at all, let alone any new OS, because bug-free software doesn't exist. Besides, SP1 has been available in beta form since 10/2010 IIRC, so there's very little risk of serious issues.

I'd say the OP's problem is caused by his own "tweaking", or by a user error. I've deleted lots of files on my system since I've installed SP1 a few days ago, and they were all gone after i've deletem them (; . You're not trying to delete files from the %SystemRoot% (usually c:\Windows), are you?

hundreds have been using the sp1 leak for almost a month now.... no major issues have been reported... so due to that, I think it is perfectly safe to run on all systems

and stop disabling all this crap... like I said, there's no need to do it in 7.... 7 is NOT XP... I also see you're running in classic mode instead of aero.... if you think you got performance gain doing so like XP, you're wrong again... aero runs much faster than with classic mode because most of the GUI functions are off loaded to the GPU

Reply 14 of 56, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Old Thrashbarg! I think I'll re-enable a few of them to get the EventLog functionality back.

TheMAN, I know that Aero is faster, and I tried to tolerate it as much as I could, but in the end I had to disable it. I had no choice.

My problem with Aero was the poor contrast between the currently active program and background programs in the taskbar.

For example, launch a few instances of Microsoft's Notepad, set the taskbar to "Never combine" buttons and notice how similar they are.

The contrast is so poor that I cannot easily tell which one has focus unless I stare at it directly.

That's why I had to use the Windows Classic theme. I know it's slower than Aero, but I can look at it out of the corner of my eye and quickly determine which button has focus.

I wish I could tweak Aero to have better contrast. But until then, I'll have to live with the Classic Theme.

EDIT: Oh, and regarding the tweaks. It's simply a personal preference. I always try to disable everything I don't use. And I also like to watch how the I/O requests and RAM usage go down when you disable all those things!!

Reply 15 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there's many aero themes you can use and you can always tweak it... so I think you haven't given it enough chance
I understand the contrast issue.... it is pretty common on many MS provided themes... but I got used to it and love it... it is so much nicer and faster than classic

Reply 16 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ADDiCT wrote:

Indeed. Going by that "logic" you wouldn't install any service packs at all, let alone any new OS, because bug-free software doesn't exist.

Uhm, that doesn't make any sense?!?!?

Waiting a little while until possible issues are google-able is completely different from never installing a new OS?
Seriously, I have no idea what you're getting at, it's totally not helpful.

Reply 17 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
Uhm, that doesn't make any sense?!?!? […]
Show full quote
ADDiCT wrote:

Indeed. Going by that "logic" you wouldn't install any service packs at all, let alone any new OS, because bug-free software doesn't exist.

Uhm, that doesn't make any sense?!?!?

Waiting a little while until possible issues are google-able is completely different from never installing a new OS?
Seriously, I have no idea what you're getting at, it's totally not helpful.

Oh wait!! Hold it all!
I reread my post and it's all clear to me now!

I responded to a post made by..."ADDICT"!
No wonder it didn't make any sense combined with that negative undertone!

Now could you please go back hiding under that rock where you came from?
You told yourself you didn't want to be here?

Reply 18 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

calm down
I understand you reservations about deploying a new service pack... this is why I only installed it on two "disposable" machines here last month... they had ZERO issues
like I already said, sp1 is a cumulative of all of the released hotfixes and windows updates so far, plus a couple more that was never released... so yes it fixes a lot more things than what was already out for the general public, but like I said.. I did some testing and no problems

the sp1 leak came out 32 days ago, and many hundreds of others never had major issues either... I'm sure it's not in the hundreds but thousands have installed the leak... the leak is the exact same thing as the MSDN release last week! no major issues... overall, sp1 has been very uneventful

I only installed sp1 on my main desktop 2 weeks ago... after making sure there was no stupid bullshit happening with my other systems.... everything is fine and still is fine.... in fact, system performance has improved with sp1 and it is also much more stable... no more weird kernel eating cpu issues like before

so settle down, install sp1 now, and get on with life! you have nothing to worry about!

Reply 19 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The risks may be minimal, but the need to install the new SP is zero, so I won't install atm this time. Pure logic 😉
I'll go ahead and install it when I actually need to do so.

Oh, and in case you are wondering what it is about this ADDiCT guy, then I'd suggest you read some of his earlier stuff. It's quite an eye-opener 😉