Damn SP1, it's driving me mad!!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you're only delaying the inevitable... eventually, sp0 will be unsupported
the need to install sp1 is for better stability... for me I had a real need to run this because my laptop kept locking up... after installing sp1, it fixed it

Reply 23 of 56, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Off-topic: dear Tetrium, please stop posting off-topic flame replies. My comment was on-topic and didn't carry any attack whatsoever. Try to behave like a grown-up and not like a little girl, will you? Also, I'm a member of VOGONS and I'll keep on being a member of VOGONS, and I will post where I wish to. You won't be able to change that.

On topic: SP1 should be available to "normal" users (non-TechNet) by now, which means it'll come via System Update. There seems to be some kind of blocking tool with which you can delay installation (of the SP1 hotfixes, anything else will be installed by System Update anyway) by one year, though I don't see any reasons to use it (unless you're working in a corporate environment and want to test mission-critical stuff with SP1 first).

Reply 24 of 56, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you skip on Sp1 you will most likely skip on some "silent security updates" as well. MS doesn't always give full disclosure on which security fixes come with the patches on patch tuesday (when recently asked by german computer magazine, their reasoning is that if a security hole similaror related to the known hole comes up during testing they silently fix it alongside). No reason to believe they will do anythingdifferent with a SP.
I'm always highly amused by the Service Pack deniers. With some friends I can't even discuss their unservice packed XP machines for fear that I will either club them to death with their keyboard or strangle them with the power cord. Irrationality brings that out in me... 😉
Last night Sp1 wasn't yet rolled out by Windows update but theofficial download was availlable and worked fine in my W7 VM.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 25 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

If you skip on Sp1 you will most likely skip on some "silent security updates" as well. MS doesn't always give full disclosure on which security fixes come with the patches on patch tuesday (when recently asked by german computer magazine, their reasoning is that if a security hole similaror related to the known hole comes up during testing they silently fix it alongside). No reason to believe they will do anythingdifferent with a SP.
I'm always highly amused by the Service Pack deniers. With some friends I can't even discuss their unservice packed XP machines for fear that I will either club them to death with their keyboard or strangle them with the power cord. Irrationality brings that out in me... 😉
Last night Sp1 wasn't yet rolled out by Windows update but theofficial download was availlable and worked fine in my W7 VM.

Now this is a good one actually. I'll look into it.
Frankly, if it hadn't been for this topic, I wouldn't have been aware of the new SP at all!
I'm not one of those "paranoid" people 🤣. It's just that I rather not try to fix something that isn't broken in the first place 😉

Offtopic: Dear ADDiCT, I'm not gonna be doing any kind of "flaming", call it what you like, as long as you behave.
You know as well as I do how on multiple occasions we had some great topics going on until you somehow managed to derail them. I won't bother going for a search and putting links here but you know what I'm talking about.

At any rate, I always try to respond as either a grown man or a sensible little girl would do (whats wrong with little girls anyway??), and you know that as well as I do 😉

Reply 28 of 56, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is one thing I am concerned about: Microsoft released a security update a little while ago that actively sought out and deleted any validation cracks you might have on your hard drive. My Windows 7 is perfectly legit, but I skipped that update because if MS is going to push some buggy and problematic crap like WGA again, I don't want to cut off any means of circumventing it. Is this update included in SP1?

Tetrium wrote:

Offtopic: Dear ADDiCT, I'm not gonna be doing any kind of "flaming", call it what you like, as long as you behave.
You know as well as I do how on multiple occasions we had some great topics going on until you somehow managed to derail them. I won't bother going for a search and putting links here but you know what I'm talking about.

At any rate, I always try to respond as either a grown man or a sensible little girl would do (whats wrong with little girls anyway??), and you know that as well as I do 😉

I don't know why you think other people are really interested in reading this sort of thing. No one is interested in some perverse exercise in public shaming. This is what private messages are for.

[I am posting this here because in the past you have indicated some bizarre aversion to private messages. And since we're several posts off-topic now anyway.]

Reply 29 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes, SP1 includes the WAT update... does it break anything? NO because everyone who has a legit activation didn't have theirs break

as for the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality, that's wrong... it IS broken, that's why there's an SP1 to begin with... it's security and stability updates!!
by that logic, let's not do a tune up on your own car or change the oil 🙄

Reply 30 of 56, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

funny you mention activation issues, i had a brief problem with ms security essentials briefly claiming my pukka version of 7 wasnt legit...*sees red* .... seems to have fixed itself though, which is just as well or i would be giving some poor ms techie a right earful [joke]. that's quite unlike mse on xp where i ended up returning to avg, and yes xp is a legit install too. i hope that sort of thing doesn't happen again as nowadays i'm in the habit of letting everything update itself.

Reply 31 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MSE used to be a joke... but now it's actually one of the best of the free anti-virus software... lightweight and fast... I had to install it on a netbook after symantec endpoint made the system ran like a dog

Reply 32 of 56, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't call it "lightweight" but it's not that cumbersome and it does its work quite well.

As for SP1, I have installed today on two different PCs and installation went smoothly. I haven't noticed anything relevant though.

Reply 34 of 56, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that, for consumers, one of the most relevant fixes included in SP1 is this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018

Previously you had to request the hotfix to get it. Now it comes integrated inside SP1.

PS: Here's a Wikipedia article for those who want to know more about Advanced Format:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format

Reply 35 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

request only hotfixes are available on various user support forums... that way you can quickly download all of those fixes

but that is no longer necessary for many of them because as I said earlier, sp1 includes BOTH the updates that came with windows update (general release.... aka GDR), and the hotfixes (both normal and request only ones) that weren't on windows update (aka LDR)... there's several more fixes I believe that ms never released so the only way to get it is with sp1 (such as HDMI audio fix).... as for new features, the only things that got added was a new RDP client that supports remote-fx and hyper-v, and USB 3.0 support

Reply 36 of 56, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think USB 3.0 support got dropped before the SP1 went RC.

My mainboard has a NEC USB 3.0 chipset, and I can tell you that Windows 7 with SP1 will not detect it. And what's worse, Windows Update doesn't even have drivers for it either 🙁

I have to download the drivers from gigabyte's website.

Reply 37 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

USB 3.0 support is there, but the SP1 updater is screwed up and won't update the drivers correctly... the non-MS fix is here:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/2466 … USB-Driver-Bug-((what-it-is-and-how-to-fix-it)

Reply 38 of 56, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm I noticed something odd the last 2 days and it might be related to some of the SP1 updates (I believe I got an update the other day).

On occasions the refresh and back buttons don't work anymore (in IE8).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel