Damn SP1, it's driving me mad!!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 56, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah haven't got SP1 yet. Just saw it in update. Installing it now 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 41 of 56, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, atleast you guys can install SP1, it keeps failing to install along with IE9 RC. Dunno why and the error 0x0080405 or whatever seems to only have post about Vista SP1 crap that I can find.

Dunno why it happens, I pass genuine check and get a validation code to even download the whole SP1 which is like 900+MB and still fails to install. LAME! All my other updates have been installed fine until these 2!

Only thing I have done about a week before SP1 was my install was I broke apart a Raid 0 array (drive E:) which for some reason or another had Win7's MBR on it. So I had to reinstall windows while having a windows.old for my original install. after that I just moved all my windows.old stuff back to just windows. Everything was fine and even updates didn't have an issue. The Windows updater kept annoying me and slowing my system way down so I just hide both updates! FU Microsoft!

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 42 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Leolo wrote:

I think USB 3.0 support got dropped before the SP1 went RC.

My mainboard has a NEC USB 3.0 chipset, and I can tell you that Windows 7 with SP1 will not detect it. And what's worse, Windows Update doesn't even have drivers for it either 🙁

I have to download the drivers from gigabyte's website.

TheMAN wrote:

USB 3.0 support is there, but the SP1 updater is screwed up and won't update the drivers correctly... the non-MS fix is here:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/2466 … USB-Driver-Bug-((what-it-is-and-how-to-fix-it)

RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Well, atleast you guys can install SP1, it keeps failing to install along with IE9 RC. Dunno why and the error 0x0080405 or whatever seems to only have post about Vista SP1 crap that I can find.

Dunno why it happens, I pass genuine check and get a validation code to even download the whole SP1 which is like 900+MB and still fails to install. LAME! All my other updates have been installed fine until these 2!

Only thing I have done about a week before SP1 was my install was I broke apart a Raid 0 array (drive E:) which for some reason or another had Win7's MBR on it. So I had to reinstall windows while having a windows.old for my original install. after that I just moved all my windows.old stuff back to just windows. Everything was fine and even updates didn't have an issue. The Windows updater kept annoying me and slowing my system way down so I just hide both updates! FU Microsoft!

See? The bugs are already coming in! Told you so 😜
I'll wait till things get ironed out 😀
New Service Packs (actually, any new patches in general) will bring issues in one way or the other. I'd rather read about how the impatient ones screw around with these issues then having to experience them first hand 😀

Reply 43 of 56, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It was painfully slow to install, but all went without a hitch. It sounds like RogueTrip2012 has other problems than the SP and why complain that you have to use manufacturer supplied drivers for the USB3? There are not that many USB3 devices available, yet, anyway.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 45 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's a good idea to download the standalone SP's anyway 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 46 of 56, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed SP1 yesterday, and it seems to work fine - except that it undid my uxtheme patch, limiting me to the default theme.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 47 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

damn it won't install on my atom/ion machine that runs X86/professional... it just hangs with an unspecified error 0x80041013 , it installed fine though on my two other systems running 7/professional X64 and X86 ...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 48 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

any better description of that error?
it took me 2 days to get SP1 installed last month because I kept getting the RPC_S_CALL_FAILED (0x800706BE) error 2 hours into the install, just as it's about to finish

finally I took an advice from somebody on MDL, uninstalled the ATI catalyst drivers, and rebooted into safe mode with networking, and it installed fine... weird!

Reply 49 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

not needed unless you got multiple computers
the install goes faster on the windows update version because it's smaller

already tried this on both an x86 and x64 machine

Reply 50 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

out of pure luck by running another program, I found that my windows installation did not have the framedyn.dll and framedyos.dll files. Those are parts of the wmi-core package of windows... installing them manually to the appropriate \wow64\ subdir did not work (because of permissions that even the system admin did not have) and I decided before I started messing with permission fixes I just copy the 2 files to \system32\ ... and this worked! I am installing as I write ...

in the next problem I am installing X64/pro 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 53 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMAN wrote:
not needed unless you got multiple computers the install goes faster on the windows update version because it's smaller […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

only good if you have just 1 computer and will only need to install the SP once.
Do a reinstall, and you'll have to do the quicker download again. Another reinstall? Again! and again and again.

Download the full package? 1 download, ever.

Reply 54 of 56, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quickest is usually to slipstream it. Are there any guides out yet?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 55 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

slipstreaming 7 is the same way as vista... a real pain in the ass... it isn't like 2000/xp because they now use WIM files
the official and best way to slipstream is a method called "reverse integration"... basically you install 7/vista on a fresh system first, go into audit mode, install the service pack, remove the uninstall files, then make a new image of it... but you'll still have left over crap from this process... not pretty

the quickest way is to just download the SP1 MSDN 7 install ISOs... there's plenty of places to get that now, and while this method looks questionable, it is legal if you own a license of 7... verifying their authenticity is very easy too by comparing the SHA1 checksums with the ones on the MSDN site (publicly accessible, just can't download stuff)

Reply 56 of 56, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
only good if you have just 1 computer and will only need to install the SP once. Do a reinstall, and you'll have to do the quick […]
Show full quote
TheMAN wrote:
not needed unless you got multiple computers the install goes faster on the windows update version because it's smaller […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

only good if you have just 1 computer and will only need to install the SP once.
Do a reinstall, and you'll have to do the quicker download again. Another reinstall? Again! and again and again.

Download the full package? 1 download, ever.

still takes just as long either way.... assuming you have a decent internet connection that is

a extra 1-2 hour waste of time with either method

if you want to save time, get an integrated SP1 ISO