Common searches

Very Old Games On New Systems?

Topic actions

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just wanted to know, this forum was originally more about Very Old Games On New Systems, right?

But it has developed an active retro hardware community which I think is one of the best ones on the entire internet (thanks All Gore!!1 L O L 😜).

Soooooo...I'm wondering, is this a welcomed trend for the oldies here? Or do you (@the oldies) think this is more of a nuisance?

Btw, I'm not trying to open a discussion about what Vogons should be like, it's more of an opinion poll 😉

Last edited by Tetrium on 2011-05-16, 07:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

Tell you what though... sometimes the old hardware does annoy the crap outta me, especially when I've spent days on the damn thing and it doesn't work well

LMAO!!

Maybe this is why I tend to stick to Windows, because if it crashes, it's probably not something I did! 😜

For me the thing is, I tend to mix it all together. Old games on new computers, new ones on old computers (if they run heh 😜), as long as it runs and it's fun 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 26, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I think the hardware just naturally follows once you're already messing around with the old titles.

Plus, a lot of the old hardware communities I've seen don't place any stock in slot 1, socket 370, or early socket A/socket 423, and barely on SS7.

Reply 5 of 26, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Besides which, "VOGONS" sounds like some cool alien race bent on taking over the universe! ;D

But yeah, it just flows naturally that if you're gonna deal with retro software, people are gonna discuss the hardware too, since you can't run the old stuff on a new system without knowing how the old systems worked. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 26, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you mean take over the universe via Beuracracy then you hit the nail on the head 😁

I'm an oldie in age, I discovered this site late via the Ntcompatible forums and Dosfreak 😉

I was also one of the last Commodore Amiga holdouts even when they went belly up so most of my knowledge was spent there although I did have a smattereing of TRS80 experience in High School back in the late 70's and with CP/M.

So to say it's trending towards legacy hardware is fine with me because it seems to go hand in hand with DOS and Win16/32 bit apps.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 7 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm really not that much of an oldbie here, only discovering VOGONS when I first discovered DOSBox after building up my current WinXP rig (of course, trying to get my old games running under Windows XP <grin>).

But, I welcome the retro hardware discussion. Anyone who knows me knows that I *LOVE* old retro PC hardware. Previously my old hangout was in a long-since gone forum on CompuServe (I swear, I can't even remember the name of the forum now <grin>) that dealt with old hardware; and VOGONS fills my "jones-ing" retro-fix just perfectly 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 9 of 26, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tannerstevo wrote:

Just for the record.

It is Very Old Games On New Systems, hence VOGONS.

I should hope so. I'd be worried if it was something like "Vastly Overhyped Games On Nothing Special"...

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 12 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tannerstevo wrote:

Just for the record.

It is Very Old Games On New Systems, hence VOGONS.

Gahhhh...how the h**l did I do that?!? Must be something to do with that dyslectia or something 😜

Edit:Computers changed to Systems, thanks for letting me know, 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 26, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I keep forgetting that this is a website actually catering for discussions on new games on old systems. Or is that old games in new systems? Or old games in old systems? Hold on...my head is spinning already...

For the life of me, I just can't remember how I found Vogons...But I'm sure it was not Dosbox that took me here. I think it all started when I was looking for help to find out if it's possible to run newer graphics cards using higher resolution and colours in Windows 3.1x.
Or was that when I was trying to find out more about something called "MT-32 emulator" at that time... a.k.a. MUNT?
Hold on....my head is spinning again....

For me, Vogons has become synonimous with "Retro PC Hardware" discussions (and the occasional new pc hardwares discussions) and help. No other sites come close to this level of discussions. And this is one of the most well maintained, unadulterated website on the net. No eye poking ads. The colours feel warm to the eyes. 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 26, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

"Vastly Overhyped Games On Nothing Special"...

an apt description of Duke Nukem Forever

🤣

(Sorry, Musically Inspired. I know you like and really want to get this game, but I just can't help making fun of it! I just can't stop! 😁)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 15 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

For me, Vogons has become synonimous with "Retro PC Hardware" discussions (and the occasional new pc hardwares discussions) and help. No other sites come close to this level of discussions. And this is one of the most well maintained, unadulterated website on the net. No eye poking ads. The colours feel warm to the eyes. 😁

Definitely! For people with retro hardware, Vogons is nothing short of an oasis! 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found this site when I was trying to figure out how to use VDMSound. The Marvin and System Specs subforums were either not there or were not popular. The forum was mainly about tweaking VDMSound and the beginnings of DOSBOX.

Reply 17 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

Besides which, "VOGONS" sounds like some cool alien race bent on taking over the universe! ;D

But yeah, it just flows naturally that if you're gonna deal with retro software, people are gonna discuss the hardware too, since you can't run the old stuff on a new system without knowing how the old systems worked. 😉

Nah, they don't want to take it over, they just want to level it so they can carry out public works projects. 😀

Reply 18 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
I just wanted to know, this forum was originally more about Very Old Games On New Systems, right? […]
Show full quote

I just wanted to know, this forum was originally more about Very Old Games On New Systems, right?

But it has developed an active retro hardware community which I think is one of the best ones on the entire internet (thanks All Gore!!1 L O L 😜).

Soooooo...I'm wondering, is this a welcomed trend for the oldies here? Or do you (@the oldies) think this is more of a nuisance?

Btw, I'm not trying to open a discussion about what Vogons should be like, it's more of an opinion poll 😉

When you're trying to run very old software on a newer system and run into a problem (the program crashes or the hardware emulation doesn't work like it should), it helps to know how that piece of software or hardware originally ran when it was still current. Without that information, it becomes difficult or impossible to troubleshoot the problem and make programs like DOSBox better. That's why having an active retro community that you can go to for help is a good thing for devs of such programs.

Reply 19 of 26, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also came here for the same reasons as swaaye.

Gosh, I cannot believe it's been almost ten years since then!!

Take a look at this little bit of forum archeology:

VDMSound forum to OGoNS?

😉