VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 41 of 61, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
sgt76 wrote:

Man, that's just crazy! In a good way of course 😁. BTW, that pile of old PC cases in what looks like some African location is nothing. Next weekend I'll go to my favourite Temerian dumpsite and take some pics...

Please do!!! 😁 😁 😁

Will you be including before and after pictures and perhaps the truck load your taking home?

Reply 42 of 61, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sgt76 wrote:

I've had a lot of stuff pass through my hands, but I'm a neat freak so I usually get rid of it if I'm not using it after some time or upon stripping out the stuff I need.

I would be happy with just 1 P2/3, 1 P4 or s462 Athlon, an uber Windows XP rig and a modern Windows 7 rig. There's only so much I can use or play with given the limited time I have while not working/ the wifey.

I try to do this. but I've still ended up with 8 computers and two cupboards full of parts. Small beer by some standards I see on this thread 🤣. Really need to clear some gear soon, but it's hard to be decisive sometimes, and getting rid of gear can be such a hassle.

Reply 43 of 61, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awergh wrote:

Will you be including before and after pictures and perhaps the truck load your taking home?

Haha, no truck loads home for me anymore! I'm going there to dispose of some of my stuff... 'cept maybe if I find a nice s370 board, or a Geforce 2 GTS or a argghhh! It never stops no matter how hard you try, does it?

Reply 44 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

to dispose of some of my stuff

Not something nice I hope? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 45 of 61, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
sgt76 wrote:

Oh no, course not. Just some spoilt hardware- I call it my annual purge. It's so I don't accumulate too much junk.

Reply 46 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
sgt76 wrote:

Oh no, course not. Just some spoilt hardware- I call it my annual purge. It's so I don't accumulate too much junk.

Are you absolutely sure you're tossing stuff that's really of no use?
Care to give us a couple examples? You never know, one man's junk is another man's treasure! 😉

Or are you only tossing broken hardware?

Report spammers here!

Reply 47 of 61, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Care to give us a couple examples? You never know, one man's junk is another man's treasure! 😉

Don't worry Tetrium bro, I'm only tossing out stuff that's really broken. Examples? An old OEM SFF pc with every cap in it blown to bits and a shot PSU. Then there's some faulty hard disks, blown motherboards, broken dvd/ cd roms, shot PSUs. That sorta thing.

Reply 48 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Don't worry Tetrium bro, I'm only tossing out stuff that's really broken. Examples? An old OEM SFF pc with every cap in it blown to bits and a shot PSU. Then there's some faulty hard disks, blown motherboards, broken dvd/ cd roms, shot PSUs. That sorta thing.

Nice 😉

Btw, do you salvage BIOS chips before getting rid of the junk?

Report spammers here!

Reply 50 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

Nopes, should I? Now that you've mentioned it, I should shoudn't I? 😕

I did...in case I need a BIOS chip for hotswapping or something.
I also remove all of the jumpers (which for a post Super 7 rig should be like 2 of em 😁)

But I should've LABELLED the BIOS chips, at least with what board I removed them from 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 52 of 61, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As promised, a morning at a Temerian dumpsite:

Attachments

• Filename
    03062011007.jpg
    File size
    122.13 KiB
    Downloads
    142 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    03062011008.jpg
    File size
    208.03 KiB
    Downloads
    145 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    03062011009.jpg
    File size
    160.18 KiB
    Downloads
    145 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    03062011011.jpg
    File size
    94.07 KiB
    Downloads
    146 downloads
    File license

Reply 53 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

As promised, a morning at a Temerian dumpsite:

I REALLY wouldn't mind being "accidentally" locked up there after working hours, enough for me to do!! 😁

And I just remembered, I also recycle the northbridge coolers 😉

So I've been busy with the attic, and it's a whole lotsa more work then I had originally anticipated! Comes with having an insane amount of hardware so got only myself to blame 🤣 😜
The thing is, something like reorganizing something like a collection takes a whole lot of planning, and planning is one of those things I'm seriously deficient at 😜
So I'm gonna take it one step at a time. All the metal closets (damn, what are those things really called?) are now standing, but everything is in the wrong place and piled up everywhere.
So now I'll attack the problem by doing 1 area at a time. First I clear everything out, then I vacuum the floor (first time in like 2 1/2 years 🤣) and then I'll put everything that will belong in that area, in that area, but all unsorted (to save time).
Once all areas have been filled with the right boxes, then it's time to sort it all out, see if anything is misplaced and sort everything in somekind of logical order.

At least that's the basic idea, but I'm pretty crappy with doing anything that requires practical skill (except building computers 😜). My guess is I'll be on hardware hiatus for at least the coming 3 weeks or so, as everything else will also require time like well...the rest of my life I guess 😜

Still couldn't help to look around for nice bargains though 😜. But I'm keeping things simple...I think 😜

But anyway, doesn't look like I'll be doing any serious hardware related thingies for the coming 3 weeks.

Report spammers here!

Reply 54 of 61, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before. Sorry if I have. Anyway, you reminded me of something. I wanted to sort all of my boxes of retro junk. ATM, each box contains "random junk". I wanted to remove all the items from all the boxes, and put them back in to boxes in a logical way. So, one day I spend about an hour removing all boxes from the garage, and hauling them upstairs and putting them in the largest room. Before I do that, I make space for all the boxes. An hour later, and my back hurting, I look at all the boxes and think "I can't do this, it'll take forever". The next hour is spent hauling all the boxes downstairs and back in to the garage. Back hurts a bit more at this point. 🤣

So, what I'll do instead is open each box, and take out a random item, and test it. In fact, I've been doing that for the last month. That's why one day I'll do a "quick test" on an old ISA VGA card, and the next day it will be something completely different. The one bit of good news is that the attic is now free of junk.

Reply 56 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before. Sorry if I have. Anyway, you reminded me of something. I wanted to sort all of my boxes of retro junk. ATM, each box contains "random junk". I wanted to remove all the items from all the boxes, and put them back in to boxes in a logical way. So, one day I spend about an hour removing all boxes from the garage, and hauling them upstairs and putting them in the largest room. Before I do that, I make space for all the boxes. An hour later, and my back hurting, I look at all the boxes and think "I can't do this, it'll take forever". The next hour is spent hauling all the boxes downstairs and back in to the garage. Back hurts a bit more at this point. 🤣

So, what I'll do instead is open each box, and take out a random item, and test it. In fact, I've been doing that for the last month. That's why one day I'll do a "quick test" on an old ISA VGA card, and the next day it will be something completely different. The one bit of good news is that the attic is now free of junk.

Now that's a good tactic!
Don't think I remember you mentioning it before.

I wanted a major overhaul as it was needed. I had stuff lying around everywhere and it got to a point where I couldn't find stuff I was looking for, instead finding stuff I had been looking for 2 weeks earlier 😜

The thing is, I kinda found out not everything has it's own space, so those things kinda ended up being put wherever I had space and spread everywhere. For instance, stuff that still needed to be tested ended up being put either in the mix with already tested stuff, or someplace else and a month later I'd think "Now why did I put those harddrives over here??".
And other spots were organized, but were getting too cramped. So instead of messing around more, I decided it was time for a big overhaul and fix those annoyances all at once 😁

Thing is, after about an hour or so, my head will be "empty" and I can't think anymore, so instead of continuing standing around like a zombie, I'll take a break, start doing something else and forget I was only taking a break 😜

But the main thing is that progress is being made. Every inch forward is an inch forward 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 57 of 61, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is this insane enough? Doin some sorting of collection, so i took photo of almost all mine cards. So far i tested 232 working cards + still have some that cannot be tested (non pc + few dead ones) or have them in various models. So think it will be about 300+ cards.

Attachments

• Filename
    sbirka.jpg
    File size
    385.33 KiB
    Downloads
    126 downloads
    File license

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 59 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vlask wrote:

Is this insane enough? Doin some sorting of collection, so i took photo of almost all mine cards. So far i tested 232 working cards + still have some that cannot be tested (non pc + few dead ones) or have them in various models. So think it will be about 300+ cards.

DOWNLOADED!! 😁

You mean those are ALL graphics cards?? Insane haha!!
Cheers dude, and I see you take good care of them also! All individually packed and all!

Could you PLEASE post some pics of how you store them?
I've posted some pics of my old attic in that other topic and am interested (very much!) in learning how other people with insane amounts of hardware store their parts.

Welcome to the insanity club, vlask! 😁

Awesome!!

Edit:Just visited your website and saw that Miro twin head PCI card and remembered I have a card that's remarkedly similar! I went up the attic to quickly take a pic but eh...I can't find the right box right now -_-

Do you only collect graphics cards btw? In the meantime I'll go read your website and eat my veggy microwave burgers 🤣!

Last edited by Tetrium on 2011-06-11, 13:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!