VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone use slowdown utilities and what would you recommend? This would be to slow down dos game performance.

I'm particularly interested in any views on mo'slo deluxe.

I confess I'm also slightly confused whether moslo will slow a dos game run from 98. [I know, I can email the mo'slo people but I thought I'd ask for feedback here first.]

The context is that with an engineering sample it looks like I might be able to run my p4 system at around 1100mhz, by adjusting the multiplier and still allowing a full speed of 2.8ghz or so [depending on what I can find]. That might or might not cause problems itself, but assuming it worked, I'd still need to use something like mo'slo to get to something like 486 or p100 speeds. Hmm, come to think of it I need to check what these multipliers mean in the bios, I'm assuming a 2.8/533 is regarded as having a multiplier of 21 rather than 5.25.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The utility I usually suggest is WinThrottle, but I've never actually heard if it is in fact superior.
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle

I might suggest disabling your CPU cache, but I have a feeling someone else will be along shortly who knows more about that.

Reply 3 of 7, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to use Mo'Slo Deluxe on an AMD550 under Windows 98SE for shelled-out DOS games with no problems 😀

For Windows XP running older Windows games, I use "CPU Speed Adjuster" and "CPUKiller".

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 4 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I'll have to hunt these utilities down.

So far I've tried winthrottle and that seems to slow my p4 es [running at 1ghz] down to something around 486 speed. That's on the rather unscientific basis that warcraft 1 runs a bit faster than a k6/3 run without cache - which iirc is about 386 speed - but significantly slower than the full-speed k6/3 450.

Reply 5 of 7, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rfnagel wrote:

I used to use Mo'Slo Deluxe on an AMD550 under Windows 98SE for shelled-out DOS games with no problems 😀

For Windows XP running older Windows games, I use "CPU Speed Adjuster" and "CPUKiller".

Is it worth shelling out for MoSlo?

I keep contemplating it...

Reply 6 of 7, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to note that DOSBox works perfectly fine on Windows 98. ;)

As for slowdown programs, there's only one such program I've ever used that doesn't result in skippy performance, and it's simply called "slow". (I completely forget how I found and I don't even know if I still have it because once I discovered DOSBox there simply wasn't any point in using it anymore.)

Every other slowdown program I find results in the gameplay being an inconsistent speed, constantly going slower, faster, slower, faster, slower, faster...

Programs like MoSlo work best in real DOS without Windows in the background handing out CPU time in its own special way.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 7 of 7, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SavantStrike wrote:

Is it worth shelling out for MoSlo?

Quite honestly, it's been eons since I purchased MoSlo Deluxe; but I used it a LOT back in my P233MMX days. Can't remember offhand what the advantages were with the "Deluxe" version, but I remember that games such as "El-Fish", the relatively obscure "Dark Legions", as well as Spectrum Holobyte's first EGA "Tetris" really benefited from it 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net