VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm playing this super duper game again on what must be the 600th system in the last eleven years. This time I'm trying to actually finish the damn game on a period correct all 1999 440BX/ Katmai 600Mhz/ Geforce 256/ Win98SE system.

The last system I played this on was a 800Mhz Coppermine/ V3 setup (overclocked to 183mhz).

This performed and looked much worse than my current machine. This puzzles me as at the bottom of Bullfrog's intro screen it says "3dfx" which I take to mean that the game is optimized for 3dfx hardware- sorta like "The way it's meant to be played" crap 😜 that we have today.

And yet the Nvidia has richer colours, none of that famous lag at the intro screen, blitzes through the game even with a dozen dark mistresses. All this even using a much slower cpu. The V3 doesn't even wake up when using a cpu of 500-600mhz... is it that cpu dependent?

That would seem strange as it was one of the cheaper cards in 1999 so nobody would have paired it with a 600mhz or faster cpu. More likely something like a Celeron 300A or P2 or K6-2... all CPUs which from my personal experience when paired with a V3 make for a less than stellar experience.

Anyone else experienced this? Was 3dfx's heyday so severely limited to 96-98 that one year later they were so thoroughly outclassed?

I will be playing through a few more classics on the Geforce 256 to compare against the V3, like Kingpin- which I remember could slow down to a crawl on a 500mhz Katmai/ V3 combination.

Reply 1 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thats kinda correct, 3DFX got caught with it's pants down when NV released the GF. V3 is more comparable to TNT2 and the TNT2 --> GF1 leap was a hefty one.
I never played the game so I can't comment on what the V3's issues might be. But GF1 was significantly faster then V3

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 5, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember dithering was really visible in DK with 3dfx hardware (which supported only 16-bit rendering despite the rather strange 22-bit claims from 3dfx). It was much nicer on nVidia hardware with true 32-bit. Plus that gamma settings on 3dfx hardware made a lot of games look more "washed" out...I'd say anything not using Glide specifically would look and work best with some early Geforce...

"The way it's meant to be played" is just marketing crap. Really has nothing in common with the game, just who shelled $$$ to the developers...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 3 of 5, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At first I was thinking, based on my experiences with the V3, that the GF256 would be severely cpu limited by the Katmai 600mhz... however that is not the case. I must say though that the V3 does wake up once you have a powerful cpu in there, like 800mhz+ or so. I find that kinda stupid though, as who had that kinda power back in 99-00 (those among us with normal budgets)?

Reply 4 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gulikoza wrote:

I remember dithering was really visible in DK with 3dfx hardware (which supported only 16-bit rendering despite the rather strange 22-bit claims from 3dfx). It was much nicer on nVidia hardware with true 32-bit. Plus that gamma settings on 3dfx hardware made a lot of games look more "washed" out...I'd say anything not using Glide specifically would look and work best with some early Geforce...

"The way it's meant to be played" is just marketing crap. Really has nothing in common with the game, just who shelled $$$ to the developers...

This explains it

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/59/

Reply 5 of 5, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I know...I read all about it at the time. Still there's no comparison to true 32-bit output and the article sums it up pretty nicely:

An acceptable replacement for true 24-bit color? Nope... sorry 3dfx.

😁

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza