VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is just a fun topic-ish topic.

After seeing some pics of very large sound cards on swaaye's webpage, I was wondering. What are the biggest (ISA) sound cards you currently own?

I'm kinda posting this because I think the VERY large sound cards somehow look awesome, with all these chips and connectors and such.

So post your biggest sound card(s) here, with pics!
Multiple entries are welcome too!! 😁

Please post a pic of you biggest sound card(s) with a Voodoo 2 right next to it so the size is very obvious.
If you don't have a Voodoo 2 handy, then a SB 16 or 32AWE are fine too 😉

I'll add some pictures of my own shortly 😉

Edit:Apparently the biggest ones I have laying around were the SB 16 and the AWE32. As both are about the same size I picced both of them with a Voodoo 2.

So anyone else got a bigger e-pe...I mean sound card? 😁 😁 😁

Heres my pic! 😁

DSC00655.jpg

Last edited by Tetrium on 2011-07-05, 11:20. Edited 2 times in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*feels out of place*

My "biggest" sound cards are the GUS PnP and SB 1.5. Apart from that I don't have anything special.

From memory the Roland LAPC-I, Ensoniq Elite and that card from IBM are full length.

Reply 2 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

*feels out of place*

My "biggest" sound cards are the GUS PnP and SB 1.5. Apart from that I don't have anything special.

From memory the Roland LAPC-I, Ensoniq Elite and that card from IBM are full length.

That's alright, you can post them anyway ;D

Apparently I don't have any non-creative BIG sound cards. All those ones are just the size of a creative SB 64 ISA.

Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 9, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Biggest that I've ever seen was one of my old AWE32s (a CT2760)... pics can be seen here -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Weeds_486DX4-100.htm 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 4 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well there are only a few cards longer, like the IBM Music Feature card. But anyway it is limited by the AT standard to about 38.5 cm length.
I consider the about 1 cm shorter length of the AWE32 / larger SB16s as design failure, as they can't be fixed at the end of the card slot. (By card slit or screwable handle)

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 9, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rfnagel wrote:

Biggest that I've ever seen was one of my old AWE32s (a CT2760)... pics can be seen here -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Weeds_486DX4-100.htm 😀

OMG Are you smoker. All that stuff are yellowed! en looks like rusty..

Reply 6 of 9, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rfnagel wrote:

Thats an original Awe32 right there.

All I've got is a CT32 PNP, much shorter, and no real OPL3. No waveblaster header either, although that might not be so much of a loss. I plan to use a compatible card for that to avoid hanging notes 😀.

Reply 7 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You want some pictures?

Here are some : 😁

From top to bottom : LAPC-I, CT2760, CT1320C, CT1740 & CT1350B
5908417847_09eacd0498_b.jpg

LAPC-I vs AWE32 (CT2760) - The LAPC-I leads by about half a cm
5908420145_560aa1a3d9_b.jpg

SB 1.5(CT1320C) vs SB16 (CT1740)
5908421963_939148f4e9_b.jpg

LAPC-I vs SB16
5908981710_e46c926fb0_b.jpg

AWE32 vs SB 1.5
5908983866_9350b84382_b.jpg

My trusty SB 1.5 with C/MS
5908985984_bdd980c744_b.jpg

And for your viewing pleasure : 😁

5908430457_59dd9d3bd8_b.jpg

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

You want some pictures?

Here are some : 😁

Thanks for the pics!!!

And I LOVED Golden Axe!!! 😁 😁 😁
I have one or 2 of those SB AWE32's laying around here also (for the life of me I can't remember what sound card I put in my 486 😜 ). I know I have some good 30p memory laying around (but I LOST THEM!! -_- ) but I don't have any of those daughterboards 🙁
Only daughterboard I ever found was somekind of little daughterboard stuck on a ISA ESS board and the only thing I remember was that it had the word "dream" on it. I have absolutely no idea how good or bad it is also 🤣. Guess I'm missing out

Robin4 wrote:

I regret having to mention that I myself started smoking again a couple years ago (I had a VERY rough ride back then and I didn't care anymore about basically anything) and when scrapping an old computer, it's easy to tell if the previous owner was a smoker or not).
But in my house, one of the rules always was, is, and always will be "No smoking inside the house!", and that includes myself also 😉

Last edited by Tetrium on 2011-07-06, 20:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 9, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

Yep, am a smoker. But, a lot of it is simply due to it's age (old archaic yellowing plastic), as well as my current locale... all of the dust and dirt out here in the woods -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Weeds_Backwood … s_Homestead.htm <grin>.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net